Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Densities of various flours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ges74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Densities of various flours Reply with quote

Hi,
Brand new to this website. Michael, what a fantastic resource!
I read your entry on Wheat Flour and a subsequent thread on milling wheat and resultant flour densities.

I wonder whether different flours have different densities. My husband is celiac and I recently purchased "The Healthy Gluten Free Life" by Tammy Credicott, which specifies a number of different flours like sorghum, teff, almond, coconut, brown rice, and potato, and starches like tapioca and potato. The book lists quantities in both cups and grams but the conversion rate seems to be consistent across all the ingredients (1 cup = 120g). I thought it was a bit strange, and I'm suspecting the conversions are incorrect because several of the recipes didn't really "work" when I used the weight measures.

Can anyone confirm whether the densities of various flours are grossly different? I would think that if wheat flour itself varies greatly in density based on storage, age, etc then the differences among flours would be just as great, if not greater.

Many thanks,
Eileen
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

different? yes.

grossly different? for wheat flours, no.

this site is pretty easy to click thru the various types
http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/flour_volume_weight.html

120 g/cup wholemeal/wholewheat vs 127 gm/cup for bread/strong flour

....and... recipe cup specifications like 'sifted' / ' double sifted' _do_ make a big difference when working by weight

for 'other' grains, the differences can be significant - as in 10% or more.

for small recipes, not usually a huge thing - but if you're making something with 6-8-10 cups, could make a difference.

and, to add to your fun and enjoyment, the density of one brand will likely vary from other brands for "the same thing" - i.e. "all purpose"

personally I've been buying the same brand of AP and breads flour for decades. because they tend to be much more consistent in both quality, density and grind/milling.

I do not buy 'store brands' - those change by who is cheapest this quarter - I bake by weight, in grams, and I've been bitten by that inconsistency.
ges74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for that link Reply with quote

Dilbert,

Thanks for that link. I was interested to find that rice flour and potato flour were 160 vs the 125 for all purpose flour and 122 for Gluten Free Flour.

These are differences of 30% and would definitely throw the recipe off.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Now, if only I could get my hands on info for the other flours (sorghum, teff, etc...) so I could go back and convert the recipes...!

Eileen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum