Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

simmer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: simmer Reply with quote

how does one go about when the recipe they are using says bring to a simmer, what is the best way to go about this.
Abby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: simmer Reply with quote

If it isn't over heat and the recipe says "bring to a simmer" and you dont bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to simmer,how would you bring to a simmer?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, you would "gently" bring the temperature up until tiny bubbles start to form, then back down on the heat to maintain those tiny bubbles. If the bubbles start getting bigger, you are approaching a boil and applying too much heat. When I say "gently" that will depend on your stove. On some stoves, there's so little heat/power that on low you won't be able to bring anything up to a simmer or boil in any reasonable amount of time, so in that case you'll want to use medium or medium-high or even high. On a powerful stove, low to medium is usually a good setting to bring the temperature of the cooking liquid up until it simmers then back it down to a low enough setting so it doesn't boil.

Due to the nature of this question, I should probably also add the statement: "you should watch the pot while this is happening so you don't bring it to a boil"
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I was under the impression that a watched pot never boils.

xo, Biggles
Abby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically it is how fast you want to get to simmer on which heat setting use. And of course what it might be....like delicate things not on high.
Teacup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stove is pretty good on heat. What do I do if bring up to simmer on low what do you lower heat to maintain the simmer. Is there anytime you would just leave it at the setting you bring to a simmer and be ok. For medium and high I figure would just go into a boil if left it there.
Teacup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any time you could just bring to a simmer and not reduce the heat to maintain simmer? What do you do if on low to bring to simmer what do you do to maintain a simmer? Turn to what setting? Very much interested in some help .
Teacup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could some one please help me answer my above question.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>What do I do if bring up to simmer on low what do you lower heat to maintain the simmer.
if the burner is still too hot, you need a "flame tamer" / "heat diffuser" - many designs available, here's a good one:
http://bellacopper.stores.yahoo.net/6incohedidep.html

>>Is there anytime you would just leave it at the setting you bring to a simmer and be ok.
sorry, way too many things in the world to cook for anyone to answer this question
Teacup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try a diffuser. When I do spag. Sauce if I bring to asimmer on medium heat than lower to low it cooks the way it should. But if I bring to a simmer on low I don't have to lower to maintain a simmer......Why is it on low you do not needed to lower to maintain simmer? That's if I am using my moms stove!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum