Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rib roast ? Reply with quote

brighteyes5423 wrote:
I want to prepare a standing rib roast for Christmas and have a recipe, slightly different from all I have read on here. It calls for 450F for 15 minutes, reducing to 325F until roast reaches 130Ffor rare or 145 for medium. (cooking time on a 6-8 lb roast). Any suggestions or comments?

Sorry this is a little late for Christmas this year, but I have used the method you posted for years, and just this year used the method we're reading above on Cooking for Engineers.

The method you posted is called "Oven Searing", and is a widely used method. These are the instructions you will get from your butcher, and this method is a standard in restaurants.

One difference you will notice when Oven Searing is the 'doneness' at the edge of your roast. Oven searing will create a 1/2" to 1" "edge" on your roast that is cooked further than the center of the roast, and more dry. It also has the potential to FILL your house with smoke and have the beef fat hanging in globules that will scent the air in your home for days.

It takes 15 minutes at high oven temperature to sear the outside edge of the roast. You have to then take it out of the oven to stop the cooking process while the oven cools down to roasting temperature. This is easily accomplished in a restaurant where you can have two ovens sitting at different temps, and an industrial ventilation system. It still hard cooks the edge of the roast, though.

The method posted here uses Pan Searing. In reality, searing simply creates a crust on the outside of the meat. To me, that is essential for this roast. Doing it in a pan before placing it in the oven allows you to sear the meat with direct heat, allowing a crust to form without applying enough heat to begin to cook the rest of the roast. Pan searing gives you more freedom in creating the crust the way you want it, and also gives you that wonderful center-to-edge doneness.

The roast that I pan-seared this year was much more tender and more pleasant to look at than those I have done in the past.

I won't go back to oven searing after having this roast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote Delete this post

I have to try it :O sounds delicious, thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: