Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Fudge

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Making Fudge Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m trying to make fudge using the raw sugar known as Panela, Jaggery, Piloncillo (depending on what country you’re from). It’s that hard brown cake you see in many “bodegas”. I highly recommend it as it has a great taste (better than regular brown sugar) and is as nutritious as honey. But the problem is that it burns at 237 F (the softball stage for making fudge). If I stop before 237 F I get a delicious very thick sauce but not fudge. Does anybody have a suggestion to make my delicious sauce into a solid bar?

Thanks for any info,
Steve

PS: The ingredients are real simple--just traditional fudge: 2 cups condensed milk, 2 cups sugar (panela), 1 bar of butter.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem you are between the proverbial rock-and-a-hard place.

being unrefined it has lots of stuff other than "pure sugar" - primary being molasses. taking molasses to the higher temperature will cause it to "burn" -

short of "not putting it in the fudge" the only option that comes to mind is to use a refined sugar, make the fudge, take it off the heat, stir in some molasses. stirring in the "raw sugar" at the end will likely make the fudge grainy / gritty as the sugar crystals may not dissolve. a liquid molasses should add the flavor and duck the non-melted crystals.

the approach will take some experimenting . . .
smith73

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum