Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Biscuits (Southern Buttermilk Biscuits)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the density issue when converting flour weights to volumes, one also has to consider humidity. I need much more liquid to make my biscuits in my arid climate (especially in winter) than I used when I lived at humid sea level. I've also read that the wheat variety and quality used to make one's flour can effect both density and moisture content. So don't obsess about "correct" conversions - learn to do adjust your ingredients to achieve the correct dough texture.
Fred Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Southern Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe Reply with quote

Lovely biscuits. I'm sure they are delicious. My mother always insisted that her biscuits had to be made using White Lily Flour and Crisco for the shortening. She cut the shortening into the flour using her fingers. The results were wonderful biscuits. I was never able to master the art of cutting the shortening in with my fingers. I prefer the pastry blender. I don't thing it matters much which technique you use: it's the result that counts.
Kath

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently bought leaf lard from Heritage Foods USA. http://store.heritagefoodsusa.com
It cost $39.00/5# plus shipping. The surprise was that the leaf lard was the unrendered lard. So, I have now learned how to render lard! It was actually very easy (low and slow) in my crockpot. I now have lots of snowy white leaf lard to make biscuits, pie crust, etc. Since I was paying shipping anyway, I ordered their Berkshire pork chops. So now I am in heaven.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kath,

Michael turned me onto leaf lard for pie crust. It's wonderful stuff.

It's quite a bit cheaper to make at home if your butcher can get it.

See my note here

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=22694#22694
Susan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Southern Buttermilk Biscuits - Shape Reply with quote

Good recipe. I don't use biscuit cutters, just cut the large rectangle of dough into a grid of smaller rectangles - it's easier and all biscuits are equally light in texture.
Blackchefp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Inquiry about recipe formula Reply with quote

Greetings Michael:

I love your site and full proof formulas. Question? Is there anyway you could create a similar formula for a Southern Sweet potato buttermilk biscuit?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Inquiry about recipe formula Reply with quote

Blackchefp wrote:
Is there anyway you could create a similar formula for a Southern Sweet potato buttermilk biscuit?

I've never had a Southern Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuit! But, it sounds awesome. I'll keep my eyes open for a good recipe to try, but I wouldn't know if it came out right since I've never had one... (of course, that doesn't mean I won't know if it's bad Smile )
granee01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: southern biscuits Reply with quote

I was taught by a country lady who didn't go to a store for umpteen years. Her kids never had a soda or loaf bread. They lived with whatever they grew, raised, or butchered on their farm. She did use lard and buttermilk. Everything was done by hand. No pastry cutters, biscuit cutters, rolling pin, or anything. Melt in your mouth perfection. Takes less time than some ways once you get the hang of it. She always made me hot biscuits when I walked in her home. She was my sister's mother-in-law who treated me like family. Sure.miss the old way of cooking.
Balessk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Great recipe! Reply with quote

I am from Texas and am an experienced southern cook/baker. I used this recipe with a friend in Denmark who wanted to learn how to bake biscuits like he had tasted in the South. This recipe turned out perfectly...very light and flaky layers. Thanks!
GrammarDiva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Southern Style Biscuits Reply with quote Delete this post

I LOVE this recipe. I live in an area with a lot of resources, so I have leaf lard available nearly all the time to render my own. The first time I made these biscuits, they rose so high that I was concerned they were going to hit the top rack in my oven. Your website was down yesterday when I came looking for the recipe, and I was VERY upset, as I had to use another recipe that's far inferior. Glad to see you are back up, and this recipe is going immediately into my favorite aggregator, Pepperplate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: