Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you keep track of your kitchen tools documentation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachelb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: How do you keep track of your kitchen tools documentation? Reply with quote

Being a good chef has a lot to do with being organized. I love cooking and I understand the importance of having the best equipment in my kitchen. That's why I also think that it's really important to have an inventory of all the electronic products that I own in the kitchen and keep track of its documentation, such as the receipts, the manuals, the warranties, etc. Until now, I've been using a classic 3-ring binder, but this takes space and frankly isn't that easy to use when you are looking for a specific document. I've been looking at some paperless alternatives.

I started using Evernote, it's really useful to storage all the documentation. However, it's not specifically for products and tends to end up a bit messy. I've recently tried Unioncy that automatically creates a catalog of your products from the information in your receipts, backs up a copy of the original one, stores the users manual of the product and also tracks each product warranty.

How do you currently manage the documentation of your kitchen equipment? Have you ever tried one of these paperless systems? Do you know any other paperless alternative?

Thanks!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

methinks the whole issue depends on whether one has adequate organizational skills or labors under the impression some "software" will mystically make it a non-issue.

so far as asset tracking software, one can start with SAP and work downward from there. that kind of stuff is aimed at "accounting" needs - not "where's the manual?" needs.

being an old DOS dinosaur, I know how to make directories, sub-directories and how to keep my data backed up.

I have a scanner. it allows me to scan multiple pages into a pdf file. receipts plus whole manuals, whatever.

sometimes one can download a pdf manual from the manufacturer's site.
so I bought PDFTypewriter - inexpensive but very handy for manipulating pdf files.

there's no law against renaming OEM files - so I do, to something that makes sense to me....

receipts from thermal printers should be copied / scanned / etc to a permanent medium if there is a longer term warranty, for example.

paper copies I store all in a big red-manilla "folder" - with flap & elastic - closet, top shelf. that way I now where they are.

but if I need a refresher on how to reprogram the thermostat, I go for the electronic copy. no step stool required.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
methinks the whole issue depends on whether one has adequate organizational skills or labors under the impression some "software" will mystically make it a non-issue.

so far as asset tracking software, one can start with SAP and work downward from there. that kind of stuff is aimed at "accounting" needs - not "where's the manual?" needs.

being an old DOS dinosaur, I know how to make directories, sub-directories and how to keep my data backed up.

I have a scanner. it allows me to scan multiple pages into a pdf file. receipts plus whole manuals, whatever.

sometimes one can download a pdf manual from the manufacturer's site.
so I bought PDFTypewriter - inexpensive but very handy for manipulating pdf files.

there's no law against renaming OEM files - so I do, to something that makes sense to me....

receipts from thermal printers should be copied / scanned / etc to a permanent medium if there is a longer term warranty, for example.

paper copies I store all in a big red-manilla "folder" - with flap & elastic - closet, top shelf. that way I now where they are.

but if I need a refresher on how to reprogram the thermostat, I go for the electronic copy. no step stool required.

Thanks for sharing! You look like very organized person and also using some paperless solutions. That's interesting. I think it's a great way to get organized and manage everything easily.

The thing is that I need to find a tool/web site/software/app that not only stores all these papers, but also keep track of them. I would like to know if any of you had ever used Unioncy to manage all these documents. Or you could maybe recommend some other sites that could help me go paperless! Your opinions/experiences will help me decide! Anyone around here to help?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Unioncy was launched in the beginning of 2013 by Victor Bodin and Deyan Dimitrov with the help of our investor, Eleven. The company is operating from London, UK.

and you're in London. hmmmm, this is starting to sound like a shill.

but just for jollies and fwiw to lurkers, anyone who opts to safeguard all their life's documents with a cloud company in operation two.x whole months is nuts.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

What he said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum