Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm At A Loss!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WCS Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: I'm At A Loss!! Reply with quote

Dear Folks,

I am at a loss!!

On my perusals, and searches among the Web, I am totally confused, as to whether I can, or cannot, use my Tramontina Gourmet TriPly, ala AllClad, twelve inch skillet, to function in the method of cooking called "stir fry"!!

Every place i search, twists into a discussion of steel woks and cast iron woks, both of which I have naught.

I 'made the move' to stainless steel triply, because I never got comfortable leaving a film, so to speak, on my Lodge-paid-good-money cast iron pieces. I keep them for when the power goes out, but day to day, I use my stainless steel skillet and domed top.

Is it possible to use this piece as a 'stir fry' piece of equipment?

Please help!!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's not the enameled variety, yes.

I do stir fry in a 12" evasee (deep fry pan style) all the time.

it's tough to get it as hot as "pro" woks - but that is due more to the stove / burner not being as powerful as restaurant / commercial equipment.
WCS Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: re Im at a loss Reply with quote

Just to ensure that late night postings are understood, and read well, with Monday morning coffee, my questions are about stainless steel tri-ply fry pans, which to my limited cooking knowledge, are not "coated", and not about cast iron pans, at all.

As the old guys Bartles and James once said .....
"Thank you for your support."
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use your tri-ply stainless fry pans for stir-fry. It'll be essentially sauteing and will lack the characteristic flavor that a cast iron wok imparts, but it'll be close enough. I own a cast iron wok, but these days I'm too lazy/busy to use it and just reach of a (clad) fry pan.
WCS Gorilla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: re: Im at a loss Reply with quote

Dear folks,

My face has stopped turning blue;
I have come to exhale, "PHEW!!"
So now this requester, "got the clue".
relaxes, and says:
"Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of YOU!!"
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was supposed to be limerick it didn't make much sense.
Yet neither do your posts.
WCS Gorilla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: re: I am at a loss Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:
"If that was supposed to be limerick it didn't make much sense.
Yet neither do your posts."

1. No, not meant to be a 'limerick'.

2. As to my posts, Bless yo' Heart! If I have need of having any submissions 'approved', I leave that to the Moderator, not you, dear ol' Jim.

3. As to wishing y'all on this board " A Happy Thanksgiving", I -did- mean that, but now, as for you, dear ol' Jim, may your bowl of gruel be tasteless, and cold.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: re: I am at a loss Reply with quote

WCS Gorilla wrote:
2. As to my posts, Bless yo' Heart! If I have need of having any submissions 'approved', I leave that to the Moderator, not you, dear ol' Jim.

Just FYI, Jim Cooley actually is one of my moderators for this forum. I have to admit, that sometimes some of your posts have me scratching my head as well. But as Oscar Wilde famously said, "I am but too conscious of the fact that we are born in an age when only the dull are treated seriously, and I live in terror of not being misunderstood." and "Be warned in time, James, and remain, as I do, incomprehensible: to be great is to be misunderstood."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum