Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Are Eggs No Longer Safe To Eat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about the PICKLED eggs, we put our hardboiled eggs in a jar with pickled beets, is this what you meant? I've also heard of mustard eggs. Does anyone know about how to prepare them? or other pickled ideas, how long can a pickled egg be kept in the fridge?
markjason

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freshness of an egg is not only determined by the date when the egg was laid, but also by the way the egg has been stored. Proper handling and storage is perhaps the most important factor in determining freshness. If a freshly laid egg is left at room temperature for a full day, it will not be as fresh as a week old egg that has been refrigerated between 33° and 40°F from the time it was laid.

According to the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA):

Many eggs reach stores only a few days after the hen lays them. Egg cartons with the USDA grade shield on them, indicating they came from a USDA-inspected plant, must display the pack date.

[edited to remove spam links in signature... continued spamming will result in banning]
benp87

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check an egg freshness by this method:
Put an egg in a bowl of water, if it flows that mean the egg isn't fresh, and even not healthy!
only an egg that doesn't flow is safe to eat Smile
Nancy1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We,, if kept in a refrigerator, eggs will remain as it is at least for a month.....as per I think......
bigpancakes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it because most foods now, like eggs, are GMO?
I ate them anyway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Power Outage- eggs safe? Reply with quote

OK- here's my situation, feeling better since reading the posts but-

A week or so ago there was a bad power outage and stuff got a little, well- sweaty in there. Not warm, but definitely not 4C for a few hours.

Forgot about the power outage, and went for the eggs this morning. Still within 2 days of sell-by date.

One of them was BAAAAD WhOOOeeee there is no mistaking that smell! It was cloudy and gross and I tossed it quick! But the egg I had cracked before, was perfect!

Hungry, late, perplexed, and above all, HUNGRY, I just grabbed a couple more eggs, they were a little runny but they didn't reek...

I scrambled them up and ate them. Now full and starting to wonder if I should have just gone hungry.

Why would only one of the eggs be so, so, rotten? What does it mean that some of them were perfect, some runny, and one unusable? They were all from the same package of eggs.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>why is one egg rotten

possibilities depend on source.

it's not reasonable to think of a dozen USDA inspected/graded eggs with one rotten egg in the middle.

if you're buying from "home producers" - not hard to envision at all. an egg gets overlooked / not harvested. absent the wash/candling process, it was rotten when it went into the carton.

if you're regularly buying from local / uninspected / unprocessed sources - you should be on the alert for the odd ball 'not really so good' egg.

do note that the USDA "requirements" do not apply to small farmers/eggers/sources.....you're very much on your own.
Analyticman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Eggs keep a long time w/o going bad Reply with quote

As long as the shell is intact--no cracks--it will keep a good, long time without going bad.

I've had eggs in my fridge as long as 4 months, and when cooked, they're still fine. And ignore that stuff about the yolk telling you if the egg is good or bad.

One thing that does happen with eggs kept for a while is that they lose some volume. This actually makes it easier to use them as boiled eggs, e.g. for slices or egg salad.

C'mon, this site is called "cookingforengineers". So for goodness sakes, do the experiment!
icerand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always purchase eggs by the sell-by or expiration date. Once you get them home, you can keep them for up to 3 to 5 weeks in the fridge
tidyswoop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am breeding and raising chickens since I was 6 year old. I agree with your ideas (visiter) and I just want to add something which I think is informative.

Eggs can last a month in the fridge whether for eating or hatching. The longer it stays in the refrigerator, the higher the possibility it get spoiled and the lower the chance of getting hatch. However, what matters most is the way you handle the eggs. In our case, we do it from the moment we breed chickens until the day of our harvest. Thank you
glutinousresigned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is fill a bowl with cold water and place the egg inside. If it sinks to the bottom, it's good. If it sinks but stands on its point, it's good, but won't be good for much longer and should be used soon. If it floats, toss it. This works because old eggs will have lost a lot of the liquid on the inside, evaporating through their porous shell—causing the egg to float instead of sink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum