Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Pecan Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Great recipe, great site. Reply with quote

Thanks for the great recipe. A co-worker and I were talking about how to make a pecan pie without using Karo, and I'm thrilled that this one looks so easy and tasty! Maple syrup! What a great idea!
dea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: cranberry-pecan pie Reply with quote

love this recipe... and your site.
just wanted to say, after reading the comments, that i 've eaten cranberry-maple pie here in maple land, and they are the best. i'll try adding cranberries to this maple pecan pie just for the fun of it. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Custardy pecan pie Reply with quote

Shirl above was looking for a pecan pie that was not gooey in the middle - that may have been a buttermilk pecan pie, which looks more like a egg custard in the middle and not syrupy.

Great forum, by the by.... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can honey be substituted for the maple syrup. I have plenty of honey but not much maple syrup. I'd think it should work.

Mike
Nivedita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: What to do with left overs - pecan Pie Pancakes Reply with quote

Yummiest pancake you'd have ever eaten. Some creativity with the syrup would make it better. Like adding buttered rum + molasses.. Go figure Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Love your style! Here's my 2-cents... Reply with quote

I prefer to use a little less syrup [2/3 cup] and a little more sugar [1 cup] and I use dark brown sugar instead of white. I think that makes for a milder pie with an improved texture.

I also throw my pecans into the crust while I pre-bake it, then simply pour the custard into the shell before closing the door and dropping the temp.

Thanks so much for your very informative and easy to comprehend cooking site.
SofiaAgapao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Mini pies? Reply with quote

This sounds amazing! I plan on trying both this and your chocolate pecan pie tomorrow. Do you have any advice or suggestions for baking mini pies? I bought small (single serving) aluminum pie dishes, but I am worried about possibly burning the crust while the middle doesn't cook at all (I had this problem when trying to make mini brownie bites). Do I need to lower the oven temperature or something? Please help!
Reb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Pecan Pie Recipe Reply with quote

Sounds like a bunch of those dang gummed Yankees have invaded the kitchen... Probably call it "Pee-can Pie," too. Laughing Out Loud
Heather Thalwitzer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

THanks- was looking for something corn-syrup free and LOVE the flavor of maple especially combined w/ pecans! Pie looks beautiful, haven't cut into it yet.
Vee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Greetings from Germany!
I just wanted to say thank you so much for this recipe... I've been making it for Thanksgiving for the last few years and everyone loves it! It's become "my" recipe that I always bring along Smile I've recommended your site to friends because I don't want to take all the credit for this lurrrrvely pie!

I've just made it again to take to a friends place for Christmas.... can't wait!

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
Vee
Kaye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Pean Pie Reply with quote

I have just used this recipe to make 150 mini pecan pies for a wedding. I followed the recipe almost exactly the only change I made was I used brown sugar instead of granulated sugar. These came out fantastic and everyone raved about them. They were delicious and people actually phone throughout the following week to tell me they were the best pecan pies they have ever eaten. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. It is one I will be making over & over.
The cute Pie Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: mini Pecan pies Reply with quote

I noticed a guest post made mini pecan pies.

I was wondering if the filling was stable enough where you could ship these pies to a friend without getting damage by movement.

Thanks for the information,
The cute Pie Guy
Shelly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Pecan Pie Reply with quote

Okay, this is an engineering question! How do you cut pecan pie so it doesn't smash?
I used whole/half pecans and I think the chopped ones would be much better. But even so, how do you cut through the pecans without them moving around and looking messy?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) pie must be cooled - even warm the filling will mush
(2) _sharp_ knife
(3) cut at a steep angle - 45' or steeper - trying to cut the entire length of a slice "flat through" will mush all of it

secret trick: toast the pecan halves you intend to 'decorate' the top with before baking - that will make them softer and easier to slice thru.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Lyle's Golden Syrup Reply with quote

Lyle's Golden Syrup makes the best pecan pies, IMO. At worst, you will find it at Whole Foods and Kroger and Meijer both carry it here in the Midwest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: