Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Simple Tiramisu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great recipe! Although the provided cooking diagram that accompanies this article will satify most visitors, I needed a more practical solution. The implementation below helped me to compile the recipe and its ingredients to a succesful desert. As a software architect and open source enthousiast, I would like to share the information to all cooking engineers... Happy cooking!

var cheese;
var cream;
var sugar;
var brandy;
var ladys_fingers;
var cocoa_powder;
var expresso;
var coffee;
var chocolate;

var bowl1 = new Bowl;

bowl1->push(cream);
chill(&bowl1);

var coffee_and_espresso = rnd(coffee + espresso);
chill(&coffee_and_espresso);

while (!bowl1->ingredients[cream]->stiff_peaks)
bowl1->whip(WHIPPING_STYLE_BEAT);

var bowl2 = new Bowl;

bow2->push(&cheese);
bow2->push(&sugar);
bow2->push(&brandy);

while (!bowl2->ingredients[cheese]->smooth || !bowl2->ingredients[sugar]->smooth || !bowl2->ingredients[brandy]->smooth)
bowl1->whip(WHIPPING_STYLE_DEFAULT);

for (i = 0; i < bowl2->ingredients.length; i++)
bowl1->push(&bowl2->pop(bowl2->ingredients[i]));

while (!bowl1->folded)
bowl1->whip(WHIPPING_STYLE_FOLD);

var t = GetTickCount();

while (GetTickCount() - t < 3000)
soak(ladys_fingers, expresso);

var pan = new Pan(7, 7);

pan->push(&ladys_fingers);

var cheese_mixture = bowl1->pop(bowl1->ingeredients[0]);

pan->push(&cheese_mixture * 0.5);

if (!pan->ingredients[1]->smooth)
pan->smooth();

pan->push(cocoa_powder);

pan->push(&cheese_mixture * 0.5);

if (!pan->ingredients[3]->smooth)
pan->smooth();

pan->push(cocoa_powder);
pan->push(chocolate * 0.5);

chill(&pan);

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Sift cocoa powder and half of chocolate shavings.

What happens to the other half of the chocolate shavings? Munchies for the chef?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I love your recipe website! I actually understand it too...which is scary. Smile

Keep up the good work and I think I'll be adding your site to my bookmarks. *two thumbs up*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your text leaves half teh chocolate shavings (uses only half). not what i expect from engineer (dont you unit-test yout algorithm?)
thanks anyway for the nice recipe. i will try & fwd.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I forgot an important step - plating. To serve, sprinkle remaining chocolate shavings on plates and spoon portions onto plates (or cut into squares and place on shaving sprinkled plate).

This is what happens when you try to rush out a post during a thirty minute break in a busy convention center.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiramisu can also be made in deep dessert dishes. It freezes very well, and even tastes good frozen (I'm ashamed to admit that ;> ). If you have some self-discipline, most batches of tiramisu will last through two small dinner parties. When you thaw the tiramisu, take it out of the freezer the day before and stick it in the fridge. If the plastic sticks to the surface of the dessert, just dust with chocolate again to make it pretty.

I've often thought about making tiramisu in small plastic holiday cups, for a dessert reception, but I would need a "chilling tray." I don't know if such a thing exists.

Your recipe seems fine to me, but there are many variations available at http://www.heavenlytiramisu.com/ . If my guests are reasonably sophisticated, I use sherry instead of brandy. (Rum? No, don't think so.)

The original tiramisu is of course with Marsala-wine...Tastes better that way. Also, use cream in stead of whipped-cream (cream for whipping is different) and add some cream-cheese (like monchou-cheese), whip that.
But most of all USE MASCARPONE! It's really essential, even for a basic-tiramisu...

Wanmaster forgot to define his variables? how much of each?... etc.

Here is a cheap alternative for Tiramisu I have used sometimes with fair results:

* Substitute Lady's Fingers with dry sponge cake (We call these "Bizcocho de Soletilla" in Spain, unfortunately I don't know the correct English name)

* Mascarpone can be substituted by any sweet creamy cheese. Philadelphia Cream Cheese works fine.

I find the main trick is not to make it too sweet and use very strong coffee. I also recommend to avoid the chocolate shavings.

Of course, this is just a very cheap knock-off of true Tiramisu, but it is good enough for most purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first: This way of presenting recipes is INGENIOUS! I suppose, you win the next cooking nobel price!

And now my 2ct to the recipe:
I substitute the mascarpone with stiff (made with fewer liquid, i.e. milk) vanilla blancmange/pudding (I am not sure if the translation is right. My translator has the firm believe that the german "Pudding" translates to "blancmange". In Austria, blancmange is made from almonds (wich would not taste well).).
As topping, I use cocoa powder, leaving the chocolate shavings (as suggested before).

Once a recipe is published it becomes public domain. You can not trademark a recipe but you can give credit to the original author if you know who it is. Recipes get tweaked by the cook so they are generally never the same as the original to begin with.
Martin

A few suggestions about the tiramisu:
I wouldn't use Amaretto at all. It is to sweet (for me). Perhaps you could use grappa.
Or try to omit the espresso and use for the liquid strawberry-juice mixed with gin and add a layer of strawberrys beetween the ladys fingers. Just heat them with a bit of sugar to make them soft.
Greetings from Berlin, Europe
Martin
Astrid

hi, i'm from italy and i can confirm you that the "original" tiramisu has no chocolate and no liqueur, and that the cocoa powder is sifted only on the final layer, not in the middle.
it is not meant as a criticism, yours is a great site =) ciao!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site! Forwarding it to my daughter at U of Iowa School of Engineering..
Go Hawks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa weee...
this is not for engineers only!!!
but housewives too....isn't it????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: