Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stoves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2que

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: stoves Reply with quote

Could some one tell me what the extra numbers on my stove knob indicate? I had a older stove and the knobs read low,medium low,medium ,medium high and high, for the burners but this new stove i have has numbers,1-10. I know low is 1 and medium 5 etc... But there seems to be a lot more numbers in between for what i dont know. Can some one please explain? My old stove didnt have numbers or gaps between any of the settings,and the manual is of no help on this.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for oven temps, here's one chart
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Oven_temperatures

if it's the cook top / burner knobs, not sure there is a "standard" conversion to the typical electric low-med-hi settings.
2que

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: stoves Reply with quote

yes it is The stove top knobs. I understand low,medium low,medium,medium high and high. The numbers between them or dots are confusing. Like for low i have: low then numbers and then medium. NUMBERS BETWEEN stand for? Even seen low and dots between to medium. any suggestion? Would it be possible say between low next would be medium low next low high next medium? But still have numbers between those???
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the marks or numbers are intended to mean anything - they are simply a reference point.

I've seen all kinds of "marks" -
LOW with nothing but a series of dots until you get to HI
L M H, with nothing in between...
long lines / marks with short lines in between
long lines / marks with two short lines in between, etc

my gas cooktop has OFF / HIGH / MED / SIMMER with a "mark / line" midway between each labeled tick. (except for OFF to HI ....)

from experience I know using Pan X on burner Y for frying bacon - set the knob just less than the unlabeled mark between MED and SIMMER. so I can go HIGH to get the pan hot, turn back to my known reference point, plop in the bacon and walk away for a couple minutes without burning it to a crisp.

I have a griddle that spans two burners. well, the two burners I normally use are not the same "size / BTU output" - so I've got a card with notes of where to set the front and where to set the back so the heat is "most even" across the griddle. it took 4-5 pancake brunches before I settled on "the best" settings, so I don't want to "forget" them - which only happens when you have company and you've just produced carbonized pancakes . . .
2que

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Stoves Reply with quote

I have seen mixer with numbers too. it just seems strange to me that these things in between are only for reference points. am I wrong in thinking as the numbers go up the heat goes up,so if 10 is high ,med high would be say7 or8?do you know any other heat settings that the numbers could be reference too?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>am I wrong in thinking
yes

if you have a gas cook top/burner and you turn a knob, the flame gets bigger or smaller and there is no cosmic law that requires a bigger flame be labeled in some specific way.

with the history of literal one-lane thinking, I'd suggest, as before, go cook, it'll come to you.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers don't mean anything on most stoves. They don't represent a certain amount of wattage or btus, nor are they consistent between stoves of the same brand/model. The manufacture just puts them in to help you find the same place next time. For example, if you figure out how you like to cook a frittata on the stove and know you turn the knob somewhere between medium and high, then it's really hard to replicate that next week if there's no marking in between. By giving you little lines, it lets you turn the knob to about the same position as before (if you remember where you turned it). By giving you numbers, the manufacture is hoping that's even easier than lines because then you don't have to count 3 tick marks past medium (or something like that) and instead just turn to 7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum