Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waterless Cookware Is a Scam or Not
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little-Acorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Waterless Cookware Is a Scam or Not Reply with quote

I would truly like to know if Waterless Cookware is a Scam or not?

I am looking to buy a set and would like to know which Cookware is the best for your money.

I cannot see spending $1600 to $2100 for a set of cookware.

I truly believe in QUALITY when buying something.

What is a top of the line Cookware (Name Brand )?

Give me the whole truth about Waterless Cookware?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally believe the cookware is overpriced and doesn't seem to offer anything that any decent set of cookware already offers.

Which part of waterless cookware are you concerned about? The technique of not boiling all your food does produce better tasting vegetables with (theoretically) more nutrients preserved... but if you are coming to this site and reading recipes, then I doubt you are boiling your food in the way they demonstrate. Essentially, the cooking technique they are demonstrating is steaming. With enough water filled vegetables set over low heat with a heavy lid, most decent pots will successfully steam the food in the same manner. Will using this cookware add years to your life, cure cancer, and rid you of diabetes as they often imply? Doubtful. Changing how you cook, what you eat, and how you live your life (exercise, moderation, sleep) will certainly do more for your health than dumping a bunch of money into cookware made of layers of stainless steel and questionable liquids (I think they claim there is a layer of oil in there?). If you have the money to spend, I really like All-Clad. For the more budget conscious, we also really like the Tramontina Tri-Ply line.
Tina (my wife) wrote up a series of blog posts on my personal blog about things we like and a few examples of All-Clad and Tramontina pots and pans are discussed.

Anyone else seen the waterless cookware demos or had experience with them?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's bunk.

the stuff I've had the opportunity to physically touch and handle at those rat-a-pat-pat "demos" is the cheapest, most light weight, flimsiest junk one can imagine. there may be other "brands" that are actually a decent stainless pan, I don't actually seek them out.

what are their claims? other than nutritional stuff - which is easily duplicated by simply steaming the food vs boiling . . . . the entire claim is completely bogus - some "nutrients" are destroyed/degraded by heat - any heat - boiling water, steam, microwave, oven, solar oven, doesn't matter - heat is heat and when the temperature gets to the right point the organic type nutrients are going to be affected. those which are not sensitive to heat (most commonly "minerals") can indeed be "diluted" by cooking in boiling water; some not all.

"seals x, y, z" so you can cook at a lower temperature, no destroying essential vitamins, etc etc
(a) ever seen a stainless pan that says/recommends "only for use on high heat" ? use the knobs - ask Emeril if you have questions on what knobs do.

"18/10 stainless wonder steel with twenty seven million layers of heat dissipating . . ."
the stuff I've seen is so thin they'd need ion deposition for the layers. an 18/10 stainless layer to the food is an 18/10 stainless layer to the food, regardless of any and all other hype.

do not turn up the heat on these pans - it'll burn the food.

(b) "the lids seal in the moisture and . . . "
well, it is true if you raise the pressure inside the pan/pot the boiling point of water will increase - see "pressure cookers"

how about a little math,,,, a nominal six inch pan lid will has an area of roughly 28 square inches. my 1960's RevereWare six inch pot lid weighs 6 ounces, including lid handle = 0.375 pounds. once the pressure in the pan/pot builds up, it'll blow the lid off - so how much pressure does it take to blow off a 6 ounce lid? Force=pressure times area) so if the mass is 0.375 lbs and the area is 28 sq inches, it takes 0.001339 pounds per square inch above atmospheric pressure to lift the lid.
ps: that' not a lot of temperature "increase" - one of those "true but completely meaningless" claims.

BUT WAIT!! THERE'S MORE!!
(c) our patented edges create a suction which holds the lid on tight
oh? you got atmospheric pressure outside, you got a slightly elevated pressure inside. the interface is the lid to pot seal. nature abhors a vacuum - the only sucking you'll hear is the money being extracted from your wallet.

buy a decent set of a reputable stainless steel brand - for $5-7 get a steamer basket/tray, and you've saved about a thousand bucks with far superior quality and longevity.

Last edited by Dilbert on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Dilbert, why don't you tell us what you really think?

Speaking of ion deposition, I once microwaved a cup of coffee in mug that had a mirrored finish. Didn't arc, and I didn't think anything of it until I grabbed it. BIG mistake. The surface of the damn thing must have been 1000° F. Steamed my fingerprints right off in a 1/10th of a second, or less.

If you want "waterless" cooking, go buy a pressure cooker. You can steam chicken breasts in 4 minutes and they come out perfectly. So do hard-boiled eggs.
Little-Acorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am putting these two set on here and truly would like to have your thoughts on them and the prices.

WORLD'S FINEST STEAM CONTROL SYSTEM
STEAM RELEASE VALVE KNOBS
7-ply 304 SURGICAL STAINLESS STEEL
WATERLESS COOKWARE WITH CARBON STEEL
17 Pieces
This 7-ply, surgical stainless steel waterless cookware set, which we call our "Ultra" set, is considered by many to be one of the highest quality waterless cookware sets on the market today. The manufacturer began manufacturing waterless cookware in 1950, and this was their very first set. History has proven this set to be a high quality, long lasting investment. The Ultra set is different from most waterless cookware sets in that it contains a layer of carbon steel between the layers of surgical stainless steel. Carbon steel is a heating element which carries the heat evenly to all parts of the cooking utensil and in the process prevents hot spots. This is important in waterless cooking, and allows food to cook naturally in their own juices within a complete circle of heat. The carbon steel was included in the construction of this set in order to make it possible to be used on an induction-top stove. The KT17ULTRA set is suitable for ceramic, induction-top, electric, and gas stoves. The handles are resistant to heat, cold and harsh detergents. This set weighs a total of 37 lbs. Lifetime Warranty.

Item No. KT17ULTRA
Regular Retail Price: $2195.00
Wholesale Price: $329.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAXAM COOKWARE 9-ELEMENT 17-PIECES
304 SURGICAL STAINLESS STEEL
WATERLESS COOKWARE with PLAIN KNOBS
17 Pieces
Considering the quality, we believe this Maxam set to be one of our most cost-efficient waterless sets.
This Maxam Waterless Cookware Set has the identical construction as the Maxam KT17 shown below, but the cost is less. The reason the price is less has nothing at all to do with quality, but the cost is less because it has plain knobs instead of the steam release valve knobs. To understand how this works, please go to the details for this set. The Maxam Waterless Cookware Set features heavy-gauge 304 surgical stainless steel, for outstanding durability and cooking performance. Every detail of this high quality 17-piece waterless cookware set reflects fine craftsmanship. The extra thick impact-bonded bottom on all Maxam Waterless Cookware pieces assures fast and even heating with no hot spots.
All of our other sets have either a steam-release valve knob or a thermostat control knob, but the first waterless cookware sets made were made with plain knobs, and many of those sets, as well as the knobs are still around today.
We've chosen this set for that very reason.
A light flutter of the cover will tell you it is time to reduce the heat to low to allow the stored heat of the extra thick bottom finish cooking your food. Other high quality features of this professional series cookware include surgical stainless steel capped rivets on the heat resistant phenolic handles, gleaming mirror polished exteriors, easy cleaning satin polish interiors and self storing lid. Each pan bottom clearly indicates the size of the pan so you can choose the perfect size pan every time. Suitable for ceramic, gas, and electric stoves. *Limited Lifetime Warranty. Set weight: 35 lbs

CHEF'S SECRET LIFETIME GUARANTEED
304 SURGICAL STAINLESS STEEL 9-ELEMENT
WATERLESS/GREASELESS COOKING SYSTEM
17 Pieces
The same set that is demonstrated on national TV by Chef Robert.

Click for Enlarged Photo
Our Chef's Secret 9-element 304 Surgical Stainless Steel Waterless Cookware Set is just one more of the amazing sets which are the result of over 55 years of experience in manufacturing stainless steel cookware. That's saying that the manufacturer of this set has been manufacturing stainless steel cookware since 1950. Like all of our sets, this set also comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
The KT915 set comes with a recipe book and instructions.
Lifetime Warranty.
Suitable for ceramic, electric, and gas stoves.

Item No. KT915
Regular Retail Price: $1999.95
Wholesale Price: $249.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joann

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: ?? HUH?? Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you have actually owned a set of waterless cookware. I am almost 60, I have the set my mother had and bought another set to go with it 20 years ago. Both are heavy duty stainless steel and both look exactly like they did the day they were bought. They work the way they are supposed to work, even the electric skillet can go straight to the dishwasher. Lustre Craft and Kitchen Craft seem to be interchangeable as far as price, product and quality. If I had to do it all over again .... I would have saved my money and bought it earlier. Best investment I've ever made.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joann, thanks for sharing.
Pro-Health Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Pro-Health Ultra Waterless Cookware Reply with quote

We purchased the Pro-Health Ultra Cookware about 10 years ago and my wife swears by it. We really can not say enough good about it. The biggest thing I think we like is the cleanup and the fact that it is leaving nothing in our food like other cookware does. No Metals or Teflon! I know there are many skeptics out there, but they have probably never owned the cookware either.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to know what metal it is not leaving on your food that other stainless steel pans are leaving on your food.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
I'm curious to know what metal it is not leaving on your food that other stainless steel pans are leaving on your food.

Raises a tiny question that has bothered me for years. If you scrub a stainless steel pan really good, you can smell it. What IS that smell?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrub with what? I've not noticed an odor / smell from stainless - but typically I only need to 'scrub' with a wet cloth - gosh, it must be waterless stuff than nothing sticks to....
NO - WAIT - it's copper on the outside . . .

I really need to learn how to burn stuff onto my pans . . . sigh.
perhaps then I could justify the $600 per pot for an 18/7 pc of junk.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a really abrasive scouring powder on my old Farberware for years. The stainless is smoother than a baby's bottom.

Try it sometime, and see if it doesn't smell -- I don't think I'm wrong!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use BarKeepers Friend - will give a gander if we have any "normal" scouring powder . . .

curious, as 'they' sell stainless steel soap bars - which are supposed to remove odors from hands.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhmmmm, tried numerous "scouring powders" - not able to detect any resulting smell.

these "waterless cookware" people methinks are to 9999.999% shills / spammers

in years and years and years, not a single one of them has every responded to a simple question of "and exactly how does that work?"

curiously none of them can answer how the billion layer ion-deposition waterless cookware, with an 18/7 stainless interior, is less food sticky that conventional couple-a-ply 18/10 stainless.

these folks are not drinking the KoolAid - they're serving the KoolAid.

perhaps next go-round we can discuss the LD50 of chromium and nickel.... that should be interesting.
kemms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: waterless Reply with quote

I have a set of RENA WARE for 35 yrs, it has nothing to do with boiling, it cooks at about 85 to 93 celcius after the seal process and in a partial vacuum. It should now be called sous vide cookware,....caus that's what it is!! The same set look as if it was bought yesterday

I sold it for 2 years door to door, and was more than happy to sell a great product, which time has shown to be an exceptional product
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum