Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dorm cooking and recipes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltonyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Dorm cooking and recipes Reply with quote

I currently have 2 kids in college, and both live on campus.

(Incidently, please send any spare money me, cuz them long_haired_city_boy_ "edjukations" ain't cheap these days..... * spit --- ding! * )

Now when I was an engineer student at UW ("Go Huskies!"), we basically ate romen noodles, poptarts, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And "salmonella" or "e-coli" was not yet posh, so we never bothered to refrigerate any left overs of mom's thanks-giving turkey or pizza! But now that I love to cook (and experiment), I am trying to invent new, nutritious, and easy to cook dorm recipes. Remember, in dorms, you are very limited with what you can have. Microwaves are allowed, but some Dorm's do not allow hot plates. Some dorms allow a shared oven, others don't. Toasters and some electric grills are usually allowed.

I recently saw a "Dorm" cook-off on the food-channel, wherein the kids competed using the "George Forman Grill", and the food looked pretty good, but not exactly "do-able" for the average student (Note: How many college students have duck meat to squandor?),

By the way... the ENGINEERS won that competition...woof...woof...woof

Anyhoo.... if this topic has ever been covered in here, please point me to it. If you have any ideas for Dorm worthy (legally allowed) cooking hardware, I would be interesed too.

Last edited by eltonyo on Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:14 am; edited 2 times in total
rexmo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: There's a rice cooker cookbook and some websites devoted to Reply with quote

dorm food prepared with a rice cooker. The Tatung with the removable stainless pot is probably the most versatile.
eltonyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant idea!

i didn't realize you could cook so many different kinds of meals with a rice cooker! check out some of these recipes i found for rice cookers in just a matter of seconds:

* scrambled eggs
* new potatoes with onions
* spaghetti
* tacos or burritos
* chicken soup
* spare ribs (hmmmm... i dunno bout that one!)

heck.... you can even make rice with it! Smile

i am off to buy my first tatung rice cooker!

please post any good web sites with rice cooker recipes that you recommend.

thanks again!
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rice cooker can do the spaghetti, then I imagine just about any noodles would work that way. Load 'em up on starch!
ktexp2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my school, just about everything was banned from the dorms. I know, I was an RA for 2 years! Toasters, Foreman Grills, and anything like them were not allowed. Coffee makers with automatic shut-offs were ok, but I allowed hot-plates because they're basically the same thing. I can't tell the difference between an automatic shut off and manual kind anyway Wink

That said, there are tons of things you can make in the microwave and the coffee pot. I adapted the coffee maker so it made soup! The key to making coffee-pot soup however is using items that don't have to be simmered for a long time, because eventually the pot will shut off. Ramen noodles (minus the flovor packets, of course) are perfect for this, as are dehydrated vegetables and spices.

If you buy special plastic or silicone pans, you can make small cakes and cupcakes in the microwave. I used to use regualar cake mixes and halve the cooking time (as well as reducing power to 50% if able) to get an edible result, but I'm sure there are better ways!
eltonyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktexp2 wrote:
At my school, just about everything was banned from the dorms....

i did have a plain bread toaster in college. when times got tough, i could always rely on a "carmelized" kelloggs poptart with butter.

in fact... 20 years later... i pretty much still rely on those damn poptarts to save the day!

sigh. Wink
Smillie - OzFire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handy Hints

1. Put a TV aerial on your Microwave...

2. Replace labels... a GF Grill becomes a book press for binding essays

3. Portable hot plates mounted in a frame on your wall is a work of art.

4. A well polished still, will pass as a sculpture. make sure you have a base to suit.

5. A crock pot becomes a pot plant. remove plant and cook.

6. A bar fridge is a biological specimen preserver.

by the way did you know some kitchen paper and an iron is great for cooking fish, bacon, ect.... cover with paper and use the normal action.
oyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoothies with a blender.
crawdadmax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: dorm cooking Reply with quote

I had a Portuguese friend in college who could make AMAZING food using an old fashioned dome type popcorn popper. (the bottom was basically a small non-stick electric skillet.) He would cook us grilled cheese sandwiches, fried/scrambled eggs with chorizo or linguca sausage he would have sent to him from his home in New Bedford. Tasty!
Ronin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look for a book called "The Off-Campus, On-Campus Cookbook" which is no doubt long out of print.

Also, take a look at:

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/gradzone/index.cfm?event=displayGradzoneArticle&pagename=story&storyID=51
http://www.egrad.com/index.cfm?action=story&iStoryID=427&sectionID=70&subsectionID=72

A Google search turned up a number of interesting items
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=cooking+%2B+college+student&btnG=Search

As the others have pointed out, please check out the restrictions on what can be used in the dorms. As I recall it, there were a lot of 'coffee pots' that got used for warming soups and stews. Although part of being a student is stretching the rules, safety must be considered.

Cheers

Smile
tenjobara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: tatung rice cooker Reply with quote

When I was in college, the dorm room was a bit bigger than the ones today. And I had my tatung rice cooker with me. This is the old version, not the electronic micom cooker one, but the "traditional" (and cheaper) one. I still have it (after 20 years), and still use it. I have the big 10 cup now, but I still use the 3 cup for making dishes to go with the rice!

You can make rice, porridge, steam buns, noodle dishes, make steamed veggies and steamed fish, marble tea eggs, chinese desserts and all kinds of great Asian food in it.

It is also indestructable. The newer micom cookers (all the Japanese ones) are more devoted to making rice, brown rice, and porridge. Plus, because of the sensitive electronics inside, if it gets dropped accidentally, it's toast. DEAD. (I know, I had one, and it got dropped in the move, and died).

I must have dropped the Tatung rice cooker several times; every time I move it gets rustled a bit. But it does NOT affect the performance of it in any way. It's like a timex watch, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Best investment in a rice cooker.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really interesting topic, so I am glad to make it my first post on the forums. Smile I am a first year university student (I'm not in engineering... Wink ), and even though I don't live in dorms, something that I really enjoy using is my sandwich maker.

I can make grilled cheese, potato cakes, and pizza pockets just to name a few. My favourite is the pizza pocket, so I'll let you know how I do it.

Ingredients
2 slices of bread (white, whole wheat, whatever you like)
2 tbs of pizza sauce (a squeezable bottle works best)
1 tbs grated mozzarella cheese
a few slices of pepperoni

Directions
Spray the sandwich maker with non-stick spray. Place one piece of bread down and add a bit of pizza sauce in the middle. Place the cheese and pepperoni on top and add the remaining sauce. Cover with the second bread slice, close the lid, and cook for about 2 minutes.

You can add whatever toppings you like inside. You could also jazz up the crust by using garlic bread or onion bread.

Good luck to your children. Smile I hope they enjoy college as much as I am.
Antilope

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Antilope on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antilope

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilope

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum