Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheater's Ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motorhed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Cheater's Ribs Reply with quote

My buddy and I decided to have ribs while watching the game last night, but we were on a limited time schedule. After scouring the 'net, I found several references for "Fast & Hot Ribs", but none from a source known to be dependable. I decided to put together a plan and test the concept, myself.

Let me make this absolutely clear, Anger THESE ARE NOT BARBEQUED RIBS Anger. Please don't jump all over this process with preconceptions; hopefully, that comment will eliminate any reasonable confusion on that topic.

The goal was to create great tasting, proper textured ribs in 2 hours. Many recipes I saw called for boiling the ribs, but since that leaves a pot full of pork stock, taking all of that goodness out of the ribs didn't seem like a good idea to me. Braising them in a pressure cooker could work, but unless I got out Grandma's big canning cooker it would be difficult to keep the racks intact, and I would still create a pot of pork stock. The oven or grill was the best method, and since there was 9" of snow coming down and the TV was out of sight of the grill, I went with the oven.

The key is the method: 1 hour at 400° in a foil packet (no extra liquid added) followed by a finish with the packet open to tighten up the meat and add a glaze.

I used back ribs. Shock They are not my favorite (I prefer St. Louis trim spare ribs), but this is what I had on hand. Go ahead, shoot me.

I went with an Asian theme with these ribs; for the rub I started by combining 2T salt, 2T granulated garlic, 2T granulated onion, 1T white pepper, and 1t cayenne pepper. I ground this into 1T of ginger puree, then added 2T of soy sauce to make a paste (adding 2T of Black Pepper sauce for one rack). After de-membraning the racks, I rubbed them with the paste and put each into a foil packet. I made a glaze from 1/2 C no-salt chicken broth, 1/4C soy, 2T peach preserves, 2T hoisin, 3T Ah-So sauce, and 2T white wine, reduced to a light syrup. Ah-SO sauce just can't be beat for the tang it adds (don't complain about that, either!). Teasing

I put the packets on a 1/2 sheet pan and into a 400° oven (convection fan was on) for one hour. I then opened the packets, poured off the liquid (total of 3/4C from both), brushed on the glaze, and put them back in the oven (packets still wide open). For the next 50 minutes I turned them and glazed them at 10 minute intervals, letting them rest on a board before cutting for the last 10 minutes for a total of 2 hours cooking/resting time.

The result was perfectly cooked ribs, with firm (NOT squishy) meat that was juicy, needed a slight tug to get it off the bone (not so much that the meat gets stuck between your teeth), and a sticky, savory glaze. While this method is NOT a replacement for 7 hours on my smoker, it does give a very nice result, and in a very short time.

Yeah, they are a cheat, but a good one if you ask me. Give 'em a try, and let me know what you think. Wink
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aside from the temp, that's pretty much my standard for ribs.

season, foiled, in the oven at 300'F until tender

I cheat even more as my gang likes a couple of the off the shelf sauces, so at the end, open up, slather with sauce and finish glaze.

even when I do them on the grill, I do the oven thing first but the finish glazing crisping on the grill. I find the results more predictable - particularly in that the rack is cooked evenly vs can-be-spotty if done on a hot grill.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cheater's Ribs Reply with quote

motorhed wrote:

Yeah, they are a cheat, but a good one if you ask me. Give 'em a try, and let me know what you think. Wink

Hay,

Cheat schmeat, pork ribs are ultimately pork! One of the things about being an American that's fun, if it's good we'll eat it.

Cheers!

Here's a pair of some ovened ribs.

romeoclement

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this! When I see the title of this thread, I wonder if what can of recipe is this. But when I open it, It looks like it was really delicious. Thanks for sharing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum