Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meat thermometers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FineDiningLovers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Meat thermometers Reply with quote

Hi, we wrote this piece on meat thermometers.

We think the best one is the Sur La Table Instant-Read Flip Thermometer (page 2) while the Farberware Quick Read Fork Thermometer (page 5) is not so good because it's thick and may damage the meat.

Have you got any suggestions of meat temperature readers we can add, either as suggested or to avoid?

Thanks in advance

Matteo
Auspicious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor 5989 classic thermometer. Fits in a pocket, no battery to source and change, and very accurate. Mine has more sea miles on it than most other sailors do, so it's taken a lot of abuse. Oh - they cost $5.
FineDiningLovers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, great suggestion!
And it's really cheap!
JDMChE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Meat Thermometer - Thermapen Reply with quote

If you are willing to spend a bit more (~$90), try the ThermoWorks Thermapen. Digital, quick response, and can be used for a lot more than just meat.

See: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/
Mechapotamus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Thermopen, do it Reply with quote

I'm the engineer in the family and cook quite a bit. Grew up with my dad in the garage and my mom in the kitchen and to this day those are my two passions. My dad is the grillmaster so my siblings and I got him a thermopen for Christmas last year. He uses the bajesus out of that thing. Every piece of meat gets checked at least tiwce, he has also been known to use it to check the ambient temperature around his favorite plants as well. I'm rocking a $12 thermometer from target that takes a-finesse-to use accurately. The thermopen is worth it, it's one of those tools that you find more uses that you thought of before you buy it, do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum