Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: Soft Boiled Eggs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
@SHEENtrainwreck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: boiling eggs Reply with quote

This app for android is great. It takes into consideration egg size & temp, altitude, number of eggs & preferred doneness(word?). I highly recommend.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobication.EggTimerPro

I'm not a bot, nor spam. Just a lover of soft-boiled eggs cooked well consistently. My twitter is @SHEENtrainwreck. (Not looking for followers, just verifying identity)
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh fercryinoutloud! An APP for boiling eggs?

Tell me it ain't so...
thor 282

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: soft boiled eggs Reply with quote

what if, in the time you are boiling the water, you preheat the egg in the microwave for 20-30 sec and then put it in the water?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I little vinegar in the water seems to prevent the eggs from cracking. Don't know why?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I little vinegar in the water seems to prevent the eggs from cracking. Don't know why?

Why? - because a little vinegar / salt / baking soda / and the whole list of kitchen tale stuff . . .
does not "prevent" cracking.

Why does an egg crack when placed into hot water / boiled ?
the air inside the egg expands.
if the shell has been damaged - i.e. it's cracked already! - that internal pressure is enough to force out egg white before it sets.

a little bit of acid in the water - vinegar / lemon juice / other - will make the oozing white coagulate faster and hopefully keep it from threading out into the pot water. same "trick" is used for poaching eggs.
Ted

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Egg Soup Reply with quote

I tried the seven minute method. I ended up with egg soup. Very disappointing.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how cold was the egg? not all refrigerators hold the same temp . . .
how fresh / old was the egg? fresh egg white congeals at higher temps . . .
how fast does your pot lose heat?
what was the ambient kitchen temperature?

there are many variables. a "one size fits all and works for everyone" simply does not work.

pick a method, experiment with the timing and take a note or two so you can do it again, reliably.

we got a new refrigerator - I had to adjust my soft boil egg times. the new fridge keeps colder than the old one.
experimental cook

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: pot size Reply with quote

Does it matter what size of pot you use?
dolly

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my recipe says so let the egg sit out for 1 hour before cooking? Which way is right?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolly wrote:
my recipe says so let the egg sit out for 1 hour before cooking? Which way is right?

neither. different methods are, uhhmmmm, errrr, different!
Maven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Whole Poached eggs Reply with quote

In the book "MOMOFUKU" by chef David Chang the whole egg is poached in the shell at 141-149 F for 45 minutes, then put in ice water, then refrigerated until used in his restaurant. Reheating in hot tap water for a couple of minutes takes the chill off refrigerated eggs. Whites are cooked, and yolks are liquid. I'm trying the experiment tonight in a pot on the stove, checking temperature every ten minutes. Whites coagulate at 141-149 F. Yolks coagulate at 151-159 F.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha learning something about boiling eggs and NASA thing ;D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: