Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Shrimp Scampi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: saltiness

The shrimp is less salty when you pour it onto the pasta? I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe it's because the salt on the shrimp is mixing with lots of linguine, so the saltiness that you taste is less than if you had tasted the shrimp by itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family loved this - with the tails on I might add. Both my husband and son love the tails, especially when you remove the tail with the little bit of shrimp still in it and saute them in butter, garlic and a little lemon. Too bad they don't sell the tails!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sautee and eat the tails themselves?? Amazing! I've never actually thought to try this, though I've time and again eaten the shell of sauteed shrimp with the shrimp itself, when too lazy to get dirty and peel. The next time I'm cooking shrimp, I'll remember to try frying the tails. Kind of like a genuine form of "shrimp chip" eh? Incidentally, the heads of shrimp can also be used to make broth, rendering a much stronger flavour than simply using the tails.

And Michael: I've been to your site many a time, but this is my first comment posting. THANK YOU for sharing all of this with us -- you are a true proponent of free information exchange in what is fast becoming the era of intellectual commerce. Thanks for continuing to add new and delicious recipes to your site, in spite of the occasional rude comment by passing ingrates and ignoramuses. The vast majority of us truly appreciate your work.

I'll be back!

- JT

This is the recipe I have been looking for, rather it is shrimp shrimp or with or without tails, I will rate it at 5. Yum. Glad I found this website. br
Mishee

I think this recipe is great...I also like to add some chardonnay and fresh grated lemon peel to add some zest to the sauce....I think the wine helps bring out the flavor in the shimp as well as the seasonings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a variation of this recipe that is quite tasty, although I dont think it can be considered Shrimp Scampi anymore.

I melt butter and fry minced garlic and diced onions, add a pinch of cayenne pepper and hot pepper flakes. I'll then add the shrimp, I prefer to remove the tails and if the shrimp are large I'll cut them in half. when the shrimp are done I'll add heavy cream and grated cheese. serve over linguine. the hot peppers go a long way so be careful.
-Ken.

All this fuss about what we Americans decided to name something, goodness! I do think that is one of the most interesting parts of this site is learning what y'all overseas don't have and the different names used for things we have in common. Like digestion biscuits, a homologue to grahm crackers, that sounds kinda scary. I think saying it is traditionally served over liguini is perfectly legit, can't Americans have traditions too for goodness sake, it is how we serve the dish and all. I think that is a cool thing about this country, we take dishes and style from other countries and adapt them to our tastes and make a whole new style, but enough of the flag waving.

As for the site I just discovered it and have become hooked quite quickly. I think that the snobby comments about the site are uncalled for, I have seen nothing claiming this to be a "professional chef site", heck the name itself says exactally what it is and who the intended audience is (the microbiologist daughter of an engineer is welcome though right =)). If one wants to go to a traditional cooking site then by all means go but leave sites like this alone, the internet is big enough for both! This site is more than a cooking site it is a place for people express ideas and such, and that is cool. Great work Michael!

kskerr

Going slightly off topic, but if the last poster was referring to the UK, we have digestIVE biscuits, not digestION biscuits. Maybe it's familiarity, but digestive biscuits sound considerably more palatable and less medical - to a Brit, anyway ;-)

I think the site is very good. who cares what you call it as long as it taste good

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shrimp scampi recipe is close to yours. Try adding a little lemon zest, it gives it a little zing. I also prepare a shrimp scampi with white rice in place of linguine and sprinkle some bread crumbs in with the shrimp just before serving.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to thicken mine up a little by adding cornstarch or something similar, or dredging the shrimp in flour. Just a personal preference.
the_bleachman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Panama Camerones ajillois common and is made with shrimp in a sauce made with garlic, culantro and either wine or beer.

This is not for the garlic-shy though, an entire head of garlic may be crushed and added for about a pound of shrimp.

It's served with either white rice or sometimes patacones (fried green plantain).
Jill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Variation, if you want it Reply with quote

This dish, no matter what you call it, is also good with a little dry white wine -- cut the amounts of butter and olive oil by half and add about a quarter cup of wine instead. If you do that, I wouldn't advise adding any grated cheese; that's just a personal preference, though.

I love this site, by the way. I use it all the time.
the_bleachman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a resteraunt out here that makes a version of camerones ajillo with a little difference. The call it camerones en salsa de vino blanco (shrimp in white wine sauce). They add white wine and heavy cream so as to totally destroy any health benefits anyone thought they were getting from eating seafood, but it tastes really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Shrimp Scampi Reply with quote

Whether or not it is correct to call it Shrimp Scampi, thats how I searched for a recipie for tonights dinner and found this one which is very simple but good. Right or wrong its something we Americans relate to shrimp with butter and garlic. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: