Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Thermoworks Thermapen and Oven Thermometer 2012 G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
another Josh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the site through the An Introduction to Sous Vide Cooking article, which, though I've never been able to actually try it, is still my favorite.
dmw100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Thermopens Reply with quote

I had been looking for the condensed milk fudge recipe for a while (I used to make it as a child and loved it). Imagine my surprise to find it here! Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! These entries are great. I hope you guys don't mind, but I took the liberty of inserting links to the articles whenever they weren't included so future visitors will be able to easily jump to articles or recipes you guys were excited about.

I'm going to try to respond to the comments where appropriate, but I might not be able to do that in the future on this thread since it seems to be growing pretty rapidly and my responses will probably be lost. If you have a question about a specific article, go ahead and post the question there instead of here so it'll be easier to respond to.

HypnoToad wrote:
Oh, and I also really liked your review of the Kapoosh knife block. I see those in so many stores, and they look so cool, so I'm glad I read your review before I bought one.

Some people have reported they didn't have the problems I had with the Kapoosh, so it might be worth trying out if you find a store with a decent return policy. I still seems like it would have been an awesome knife block...

CryingRyan wrote:
The articles that brought me to your site were the sous vide ones. I've loved the other articles too.

Wow, I didn't think anyone read those. I should probably carve out some time and write the next article in the series... on food safety.

blk4004 wrote:
an oldie, but a good one .. RIBS!!!!

Which one? Oven Baked Spare Ribs or Barbecue Pork Ribs? The asian variation of the oven baked spare ribs has made a reappearance in my own kitchen recently. Tina's made it a couple times in the last few months and loves using the left over sauce/liquid to braise chicken and pig's feet and other delicious goodies.

allan wrote:
However I've never tried the Simple Tiramisu recipe, a mistake I'll have to correct soon.

Oh, you're missing out. The simple one can be just as good (or better depending on your preference) as the classic but is so fast to make.

mrgoblue wrote:
Since that post was a while ago, is the MAC still your highest recommended, or are there other contenders?

Yes, the MAC MTH-80 is still my go to chef's knife. If I need a larger one, I reach for a 12-in Forschner I keep in a drawer. At this point, I think it largely has to do with how comfortable the handle feels in my hands as well as the blade being curved just right for my cutting technique.

re: clarified butter from a baggie and ceramic knives
We've had some great guest posts over the years!

christyluv wrote:
Need a Thermapen so I can make some of that English Toffee for Christmas!

The thermapen is great for checking the temperature of toffee, but you can't keep it in the pot measuring continuously. It's easiest to stick the probe in once in a while (be careful not to scratch the bottom of the pot too much... those Thermapens are sharp!) and check on the temperature. I've found that once you've made a successful batch or two with a thermometer, you don't need to use the thermometer in the future. The color of the toffee is a pretty good indicator (assuming you are using the same ingredients - especially butter - between batches) of what the temperature range is and toffee is pretty forgiving. Toffee is NOT forgiving if you rush it though, so don't blast the heat hoping to get to the right temperature fast - it will separate into a hard candy and liquid butter fat.
talon8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used your recipe cards for various proteins (brining birds, roasting, grilling fish), pecan pies and a whole lot more. I love the way it's laid out and very clear. I love your careful analysis of different tools (ie: knives... I have a thing for scarily sharp Japanese steel). And while I have lots of articles/recipes that I love(d), I'll list your prime rib roast recipe. It was one of the first major things I learned to cook and while I don't need it much anymore, as it was one that kept me coming back. It's gotta be that one.
mk2000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Anything for a freebie :-) Reply with quote

Did I like your article on cooking bacon because I admired all the research, or because it confirmed my liking for cooking it in the microwave?
Skayne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Favorite recipe . . . Reply with quote

My favorite recipe, by far, is Cream of Mushroom Soup. I like it, not just because it taught me how to make the soup, but because from that point forward, I haven't purchased canned soup. I've learned it's easy enough to make myself.
highfructosecorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first article that led me to your site was the one on cookware materials and heat conductivity of different materials. I really appreciated that someone bothered to explain the "why" behind the benefits of the different materials rather than some brief rehashing of tradition or folklore about which cookware was best. The thermal conductivity diagrams were great.
Pearlprincess182

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your article about the best way to cook bacon was very informative. As I love to eat bacon it was nice to learn the best way to prepare it Smile
noirin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your knife review article was my favourite, though I haven't gone and splurged yet :-)

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated
jessicadennis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Ooooh measurement devices Reply with quote

My favorite so far I think was the Meat Lasagna, except I was lazy and used penne to turn it into a baked ziti recipe (which worked out extremely well).
aheidorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Common Materials of Cookware is what led me to the site, because I was about to register for wedding gifts and was wondering what cookware to ask for. So that is probably my favorite, but I also then read the knife review and was convinced to register for a Forschner knife.

I've been married for almost a year now (to an engineer!), and I love my cookware and knives! Thanks for this site! (and I really need a good thermometer)
3rdto1st

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Bacon is the best Reply with quote

I love the bacon trials and have been trying each cooking technique. I'm a big fan of leaving it in a low temp oven for a loooooong time.
midnitechef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Thermometer giveaway Reply with quote

The Kitchen Scale post was really helpful!
stealth71

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
zoesdare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: LOVE the flow charted Recipe cards! Reply with quote

I have been making Cottage Pie (Shepherd's pie but with beef) since it got posted years and years ago. I love it, and everyone I have ever made it for loves it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: