Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do I make my own Montreal steak seasoning/dry rub?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: how do I make my own Montreal steak seasoning/dry rub? Reply with quote

My favorite dry rub or seasoning for beef is Montreal, but it's ridulously expensive. I know it's not rocket science, but I can't seem to replicate it with my own spices. McCormick lists, in this order, ingredients as: coarse salt, red and black pepper, garlic, sunflower oil (!), "natural flavor" and "extractives of paprika". Has anyone had any luck with recreating (Grill Mates) Montreal Steak seasoning?
Richtee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Montreal seasoning Reply with quote

2 TBSP Paprika
2 TBSP Kosher Salt
2 TBSP Crushed Black Pepper
1TBSP Granulated Garlic
1 TBSP Granulated Onion
1 TBSP Crushed Coriander
1 TBSP Dill Seed
1 TBSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp Caraway seed

Give that a run...
pbone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! Thanks so much.
Richtee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbone wrote:
Will do! Thanks so much.

No problem. I'd like feedbck if ya don't mind. :{)
pbone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried your recipe today. I didn't, as anticipated, use my wooden mortar and pestle. I banged away for quite a long time on the seeds and peppercorns with a hard rubber mallet (more surface than my hammer), not a hammer, between layers of good brown bag paper, which I made into a packet for the peppercorns, coriander. caraway seeds, etc. Bashed away for quite a while))))) I did add a half tablespoon of chipotle powder. and I couldn't find dill seed, so used dill weed instead. And instead of red pepper flakes, I smashed up (with the mallet) a tablespoon of dried small red peppers - I don't remember what kind. After mixing everything, I pressed it into a sirloin tip roast shaped like a thick steak, stored it in the fridge for about 3 hours and grilled it on a grill on top of the stove. All I can say is WOW!! Good for you! Tasted exactly like Montreal steak seasoning/rub. Excellent! I am usually afraid of paprika, because I find it dominates anything you get it near, but I did use the full two tablespoonsful, and the result was...perfect. Oh, I forgot: I found I only had one tablespoonful of black peppercorns, so the second tablespoon was mixed black, red, white and green peppercorns. And I used the empty peppercorn jar to store the leftovers of my new recipe for Montreal Steak seasoning/rub. Thank you so much!
Richtee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbone wrote:
I tried your recipe today. I didn't, as anticipated, use my wooden mortar and pestle. I banged away for quite a long time on the seeds and peppercorns with a hard rubber mallet (more surface than my hammer), not a hammer, between layers of good brown bag paper, which I made into a packet for the peppercorns, coriander. caraway seeds, etc. Bashed away for quite a while))))) I did add a half tablespoon of chipotle powder. and I couldn't find dill seed, so used dill weed instead. And instead of red pepper flakes, I smashed up (with the mallet) a tablespoon of dried small red peppers - I don't remember what kind. After mixing everything, I pressed it into a sirloin tip roast shaped like a thick steak, stored it in the fridge for about 3 hours and grilled it on a grill on top of the stove. All I can say is WOW!! Good for you! Tasted exactly like Montreal steak seasoning/rub. Excellent! I am usually afraid of paprika, because I find it dominates anything you get it near, but I did use the full two tablespoonsful, and the result was...perfect. Oh, I forgot: I found I only had one tablespoonful of black peppercorns, so the second tablespoon was mixed black, red, white and green peppercorns. And I used the empty peppercorn jar to store the leftovers of my new recipe for Montreal Steak seasoning/rub. Thank you so much!

Hah... love the mallet! LOL! Glad you enjoyed it sir!

A coffee grinder will do a fair job on cracking stuff. Pulse it a few times, pour it thru a coarse strainer, return what won't go thru to grinder, repeat.
pbone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you know I had a coffee grinder? I do, and I think I will use it next time. I don't think I'd mind a hint of spice residue in my morning coffee for a few days...once I did grind up some spice in there, nutmeg, I think.
Anyway, thanks again for the great recipe and follow-up tip, and p.s. I'm a girl.)))
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one trick to 'cleaning' a grinder - run some fresh soft bread thru . . .
pbone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Dilbert - what a super tip! I'd never have thought of that trick. Merci bien.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beats the old sponge&q-tip routine . . .
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use rice to clean a coffee grinder, but I'll try the bread. Might get some of the oils out, too.
Richtee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbone wrote:
How did you know I had a coffee grinder? I do, and I think I will use it next time. I don't think I'd mind a hint of spice residue in my morning coffee for a few days...once I did grind up some spice in there, nutmeg, I think.
Anyway, thanks again for the great recipe and follow-up tip, and p.s. I'm a girl.)))

Bread works well... or with mine, just a soapy wash to the bowl.

Ummm sorry for assuming, M'Lady - oops.... was the whole mallet sequence you see Laughing Out Loud
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum