Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Marshmallows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elynmac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: what to do if you forgot the vanilla Reply with quote

Vanilla sugar works. There is "vanilla powder" available in gourmet type stores that you could mix with some cornstarch and a little sugar. Or you could try adding a few drops or vanilla extract to some cornstarch-icing sugar mix and whizzing it up in a blender. Let it dry and whiz it up again. Then use it for the outside of the marshmallow.
lala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: gelatin Reply with quote

The recipe I use calls for four envelopes of gelatin. I'm going to try it with three as this recipe states as I don't care for the strange odor of the gelatin. (It's all I notice now.) Also, I don't use corn syrup at all - I just use sugar and bring it to 240 degrees...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: marshmallow 'sap' Reply with quote

It was not made from 'sap' from marshmallow root, it was made from a strong decoction of the root, which gets gooey like egg whites. I wonder if flax gel would work? And it's not so much that it calms coughs as it soothes the throat, much like slippery elm.
ziph

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: no need for corn syrup Reply with quote

As others have mentioned corn syrup is not essential. It just stops sugar from crystallising as it cools.

You can add a squirt of lemon juice to your sugar syrup as a substitute to prevent crystallizing.

This how it turned out for me.
http://kacookbook.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/systematic-review-of-marshallows.html

BTW love the tables at the bottom with timings.
Esse

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Roasting these marshmallows Reply with quote

Do these marshmallows roast well? I have been making homemade marshmallows for years. I use both recipes with and without egg whites, but when I try to roast my homemade marshmallows the outside always sags and falls off the inner marshmallow ( It doesn't matter what recipe I use). What makes the store varieties roast well over a fire? I would like to try this recipe, but will they roast well?
Bar_None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Marshmallow Reply with quote

I read about substituting golden syrup. I wanted to let the American cooks that we do make that here in the US. It's called Golden Eagle Syrup it's $3 per pint jar & is much tastier than Lyle's. Please check it out. I've used it for the past 45 years. It's perfect for marshmallow or any recipe calling for corn syrup especially pecan pies! Hope this helps.
Melanie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Marshmallows Reply with quote

I have been using this marshmallow recipe for years. It is simple and it works consistently. Everyone is always impressed that I make marshmallows from scratch. Thanks! I use different size pans to make thicker or thinner marshmallows. A tip I learned is to spread them out with wet fingertips to keep them from sticking to me.
cKsasaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Warmth of sugar syrup Reply with quote

Just wondering if the temperature of the syrup is relevant. As in if I have some that wasn't used can I whip it into the bloomed gelatin at rm temp? Or does it need the heat to somehow interact with the gelatin to make it frothy?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when working with sugars/syrups in confections the temperature is very important.
the structure of sugar is modified by temperature - using sugar+corn syrup+water mixed together at room temp will not work out.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there vegan marshmallow recipes? Sad
SmartShabby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
when working with sugars/syrups in confections the temperature is very important.
the structure of sugar is modified by temperature - using sugar+corn syrup+water mixed together at room temp will not work out.

What kind of sugar are you using? Is it the white or the brown? Also, how about muscovado, is it recommended to use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: