Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hershey Lodge, Herhey PA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Hershey Lodge, Herhey PA Reply with quote

We took a short trip up to Hershey, PA - stumbled into a nice place:

Forebay at
Hershey Lodge
West Chocolate Ave & University
Hershy, Pa
(vicinity of the Hershey Medical Center)

The Lodge itself dates back to 1967 - we were impressed with the public rooms, very well done and maintained in most excellent condition. The Lobby features a gigantic free standing, four sided fireplace.

There are multiple eateries, we chose the Forebay located on the second level above the main entrance. Outdoor seating (seasonal availability.)
It is not a huge place - perhaps seating 80; with food service at bar if you wish.

Menu has a decent selection of appetizers - beef, chicken, fish, main courses and deserts - most deserts curiously involving chocolate.

I had a fresh Chantrelle salad appetizer - served with fresh berries, pistachios, served with white cheddar wedges; nicely bedded on very a slightly savory very tasty bed of greens. Absolutely top notch - the cheddar made the dish.

For an appetizer DW got cocoa rubbed diver's aka sea scallops. Quite a bit larger than commonly served as appetizer. Pan seared to a crisp brown crust, equally well on both sides. They must have a really hot pan; at home, on gas, I've never gotten them to look so good. Garnished with creamed corn and pickled breakfast radishes - a splendid combo executed with skill.

My entree was the special - red snapper served on a bed of couscous with a medley of fresh vegetables. A generous portion of snapper cooked to absolute perfection. Saucing of the couscous and vegetables was perfect. This place obviously shops/serves fresh stuff. I couldn't find anything that even remotely looked prepared by a restaurant purveyor.

DW got two very good sized crab cakes - again without question freshly prepped in their kitchen. Excellent combo of lump meat and finer sizes - perfectly fried. Seasoning and breading were perfect, no bland binder taste. DW grew up around Baltimore - she knows a good crab cake and these rank right at the top. Fresh asparagus and potato cubes dressed with a very nice remoulade.

Dessert was creme brulee - okay, a somewhat pedestrian choice but it was equally well prepared and delicious. A chocolate creme brulee is available, but I couldn't sell it.....

Service was excellent. I got the impression our server was relatively new - but a couple questions we asked were promptly researched in the kitchen and immediately reported back to us. He may have been a little new, but he had been very well trained not only in customer service but also table service.

Overall impression:
Excellent food, excellent service, excellent atmosphere, excellent value.
The Hershey Inn does fresh right - and it shows through. Plus, somebody in the kitchen is highly skilled at blending the right flavors into a dish - everything melded superbly. Timing was also very well done - no interminable waits and no rushing. Occupancy was roughly 50% during our dinner.

Cost: (excluding alcohol) mid-range - $86+tax+tip for two. Absolutely worth the price - we've paid a lot more for that level of quality.

A side note on alcohol: definitely pricier than most restaurants. Cocktails/wine $12 and up.

Recommendation: this one's a no brainer - don't miss it if you're in the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum