Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Albers Corn Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Cornbread recipe Reply with quote

Hi my name is Terri. I'm not an engineer, but my dad was one, so maybe that will give me a little credibility in this forum...anyway, use the recipe for corn muffins found on the side of the Alber's box. It is much better than the recipe on the back of the box for cornbread. Bake it just like you would the cornbread. Tastes great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people commented on liking Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Here's
a copy cat recipe for when you are out of Jiffy.

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Copy Cat recipe

Equal to 8.5-oz box. Makes 6 muffins

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk. Whisk in vegetable oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone.

You can use the above mixture in any recipe calling for a box of
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (equal to 8.5 oz box)

To make Corn Muffins:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine above mixture with egg and milk. Mix well.

Fill muffin tins 1/2 full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.

Makes 6 corn muffins muffins.
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Mam-Maw's Cornbread Reply with quote

This recipe is from my Great Grandmother's Southern kitchen. Previous posters are correct about using cast iron for corn bread. It's the only way to go!

The only change I have made to this recipe is to use half coarse ground corn meal (polenta) and half medium ground cornmeal (Albers or other commercial cornmeal). I do prefer a bit of crunch in my cornbread!

1 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 Cup medium ground corn meal
1/2 Cup coarse ground cornmeal
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 Cup milk (or buttermilk, yoghurt, sour cream, cream - whatever dairy you prefer) (add a pinch of baking soda for yoghurt, sour cream or buttermilk)
6 Tbsp butter

I use a 9 inch cast iron skillet for this. Preheat the oven to 425º. while you're pre-heating, put the skillet in the oven with the butter and let it melt and pre-heat the skillet.

Mix the dry ingredients completely. Make a well in the middle and add the egg beaten into the dairy. Add the melted butter while stirring. Mix well - but don't over do it.

Pour batter into the skillet and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

If you want to spice it up, you can add a cup of grated cheddar, a cup of frozen corn and some chopped jalapenos (remove the seeds). i would say 1-2 Tbsp - depending on your predilection for heat! This tastes great with chili or soup on a cold winter evening!

Enjoy!
cornbread lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: cornbread turns orange Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know why my cornbread sometimes turns a orangey color even tho the meal is white stone ground.It does not do it all the time and I always go by the recipe.The recipe calls for 1 1/2 meal, 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 teasp. salt and soda ,2 eggs,1/4 c melted butter and buttermilk .Sometimes it is snow white and delicious and other times it has a orange look and not so good.Thanks
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you grind white corn,
and you grind yellow corn,
the results, color wise, sure look a lot alike.

but if you are using corn meal from the same "bag" and sometimes
- after baking -
it's white and sometimes it yellow

that would be a big puzzlement.

>>eggs
the yolk color can vary seriously big time.
could indeed affect color, not so convinced it would affect taste.

ps: I'm a yellow corn bread fan; the "snow white" version is outside my experience.
cornbread lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: cornbread turns orange Reply with quote

The cornmeal is white.But sometimes(from same bag) it has orange specks and the entire cornbread has a orange tint to it when baked it looks the same before baking and it is not as moist as it normally is.I was thinking maybe the soda has something to do with it I always measure that too.Its a puzzler but just thought someone might know why it does that because I sure don't and I am 61 yrs old so I have been baking cornbread a long time and never ran across this before.Thanks
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a commercial cornbread or something like local stone ground?

reason I ask, we used to get stone ground from a 'historic preserve' / operation and I can remember the little colored flecks in that meal - it was just whole corn, ground - I don't think they even sifted it - it would fall out of the millstone, they'd scoop it directly into a bag.....

I wonder if the bag content have 'settled out' some - so you're getting more or less of the bigger/heavier (presumed) color flecks as you go through the bag?

the moisture content - with 2 cups of dry + buttermilk, that's a fairly small amount - slight variation in the flour weight or buttermilk will be more noticeable in a small batch. I'm cooking small batches for two, and I've taken to using a scale and weighing everything - including liquids - so the results are more consistent.
cornbread lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: cornbread turns orange Reply with quote

I buy the meal from Cades Cove visitors center in the Great Smokey Mtns. I will try mixing the meal up,the meal could have indeed settled hadn't thought of that.I also keep the meal in the frig I can't use up a 5lb bag for about two months. It just puzzles me why it don't do it all the time but it has turned orangey the last 4 or 5 times so I will stir up the next time and try that. Thanks for you input.
Elisabeth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Albers cornbread from the box Reply with quote

I love this way of making cornbread...have used it for 20+ years. I do make one change...increase the sugar to 1/3 cup. Thanks for having this one on line. My daughters lost the copy I had recently, after using it. They love this version, too.d
Cali Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Old School Texans Reply with quote Delete this post

I grew up with this recipe. My mom, who was born during the depression and raised by her grandmother in a very poor Southern Texas household, made this recipe exactly as printed, with one exception -- no sugar. We're making bread, not dessert Wink It's obviously not the type of cornbread most people are used to (think Marie Calendars) but to me this is Southern comfort food at its best, warmed and oozing with butter, instant heaven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: