Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenderizing Experiment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwhooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Tenderizing Experiment Reply with quote

I read that certain marinades do tenderize meat, but the trouble is that they only tenderize the surface. It was suggested that injecting meat with the marinade would work.

Following the advice in the book, I used vinegar and fruit enzyme tenderizer, along with flavorings. I injected a roast with great zeal, in hundreds of places. The holes alone should have tenderized the meat somewhat.

The meat came out tougher than usual, not more tender. It did not taste better, either.

I have since read that vinegar actually toughens meat.

My next experiment will follow the advice that DAIRY is the superior meat tenderizer.

To date, the best meat tenderizer is my smoker and 8-12 hours.
curbandgutter

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Pineapple Juice is better Reply with quote

I have actually experimented with pineapple juice for grilling. It works so well that if you put it in for more than an hour the meat will fall apart when you try to turn it over.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>pineapple juice

ayhjup.

in Italy, motorist don't stop at red lights, simply because they define "red" as simply another shade of "green"

same with "marinades"

there's the point of "adding flavor(s)" and there's the point of "tenderizing"

the goals are different, so one can completely discard the "acid" / "dairy" / everything.

pineapple juice does contain natural enzymes which are quite potent "meat breaker-downers" - whether they be acid, alcohol, dairy or moon-based-green-cheese, the p.j. properties are quite well known and documented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum