Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: The Classic Tiramisu (original recipe?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justpassingby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Tiramisu Reply with quote

Oh and I almost forget,he did also use ladyfingers,and egg yolks,It's almost the same like you made it Michael.I don't believe there is a risk for salmonella,thanks to the alcohol of the Marsala and the heating to making it into a custard...
Katie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this twice and it was incredible! I will probably make it again...
David

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original was aimed at children and elderly and contained no alcohol, any tiramisu with alcohol in it isn't original.

I am looking for it aswell I only know the ingredients but not the precise recipy.

Wiki helped me figure out the part about the first tiramisu not containing alcohol.

On the other hand it's just curiosity on my part, those myriad of "tiramisu" recipies around nowadays taste great too.
I'm just interested in the origins and to make such a non alcoholic one myself out of curiosity and for fun
Moniq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: The original Tiramisu Reply with quote

I have found the website of the original Tiramesu: http://www.tiramesu.it/
Recipe here: http://www.tiramesu.it/recipe_original.html

This site is built with the support of the Treviso city so it seems to be legit.

There's also a video (in italian) of Roberto Linguanotto explaining the history of this cake and then he's also preparing a Tiramesu: http://www.tiramesu.it/videos.html

Traditionally, the Tiramesu had been made only with egg yolks, sugar, mascarpone, lady fingers, strong espresso and cocoa. No egg whites, no alcohol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I've been using this recipe for the past few years... the only exception is that I've never used masala wine (only out of wanting to drink the leftover liquor).

I've used rum... But I think I will try cognac or brandy next time, that's what the baker across the street uses.

Thanks so much. Everyone feigns for the tiramisu I prepare. Today I actually baked my own ladyfingers!
Jenn

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Just tried the recipe Reply with quote

The recipe was wonderful!!! I made some substitutions due to the lack of availability of the ingredients (used the same measurements):
marsala wine = cognac
lady fingers = marguerite cookies

I soaked the marguerite in the espresso for more than a few seconds, until the under side was soft to touch, it used more espresso than the recipe called for.

The result was a stronger alcohol smell, but you barely tasted the alcohol (I usually hate drinks where I can smell/taste the alcohol in it). All in all it came out perfectly, I already can't wait to try it again. Also thinking about substituting the marscapone with some cream cheese, although I think it'll need to be of a more spreadable variety or perhaps thinned out a bit with some cream.....
not an engineer!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: fab recipe, thanks Reply with quote

I followed the recipe step by step - it worked a treat. Each bit on its own tasted great. Waiting to taste the concoction as a whole tomorrow. I did fortify my version with a good splash of rum into the epresso. Might agree on a lighter layer of cocoa before leaving the Tiramisu to set and a final dusting before serving, but followed you instructions anyway - mine turned out to be a right beauty. xx
tammy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: lady fingers Reply with quote

a good lady finger brand to try is stella doro. they are hard and soak well w/o falling apart. i find them most in the midwest hard to find on the west coast.
Bowie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: I am going to made tiramisu by myself too Reply with quote

Wow,the comments above spread from 2005 to today now.AMAZING!
"Too many cooks spoil the broth." That is true.
I have prepared a set of ingredients.But right after looking at this site. I find out some is unnecessary.Like whipped cream. I was going to use whipped egg whites, egg yolks,whipped cream,kahlua,rum and of course mascarpone. and try to figure out what the exact function of each ingredients is. Because I am not familiar with western desserts.
Tiramisu I tasted in my place mostly are disaster.It tastes too bad. I must make one by myself.
This artical and the comments really help me!
kgard01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Why not try the recipe on the BelGioioso mascarpone 8oz pk? Reply with quote

I have no idea what the original should taste like but I have NEVER had a tiramisu like the one I had in a (now closed) italian restaurant in Valley Village California served at my sister's wedding rehearsal party.
So far, the BelGioioso has come the closest when using rum. No whipped cream, no marsala, no worry about raw eggs (apparently the Salmonella comes from the shell so as long as you wipe the shell with a 10percent bleach solution before cracking then you shouldn't have to worry abt raw eggs.
Nothing cuts it like the right lady fingers...the bottom line is that it just isn't the same if it is too custardy thick and sweet...To each his or her own...but I'd try the more authentic first before adding a lot to it Smile
kindleproblems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original or not... This one tastes delicious!

TYVM!
anton46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiramisú, modest and elegant. must be in everyone's "favourite dessert top 5 list".
I'm a Cook in Australia I've spent 20 years in the hospitality industry under many guises ( waiter/barman/barrista/dishwasher/pizzaiolo ) I can't get away from food and came to the notion that its only a natural progression that I should claim the kitchen as my workplace ... I digress.. excuse me
Tiramisú, I like to make mine with a zabaglione base. free-range egg yolks whipped a little dark rum and coffee liquor with a hot sugar syrup. after this step I don't stray from these strict guidelines.

MASCARPONE : use only imported italian mascarpone. australian dairies while on the whole have great range of class products when it comes to mascarpone, there's no substitute "Italian" lets not even speak philadelphia cheese.

COFFEE: the best coffee anywhere is found in the houses of italian families who use the household "Caffetiere" or "Mocha". come in 2 styles "Napoletana" and ... I forget the other. the reason in my opinion, (1) cotrol the ratio of water-coffee (2) the Napoletano uses gravity, hence once the water comes to the boil it gets turned upside down (or the right way round) so that the part that was being heated and containing the hot water begins to perculate through the ground coffee. the other stays in the same position atop your stove . when water boils uses the steam produced to force the water through the ground coffee...excuse the longwinded description but being of italian descent coffee is a part of my life as much as breathing is I like to call coffee "Catholic Heroin" addictive and am useless without it. the difference between your local café with the espresso machine, is with the above 2 methods becouse it takes minimum of 4-5 minutes to make 1 cup of caffé using the steam forced and gravity methods the result is a smooth mellow and diverse, taste and after taste becouse more of the coffee characteristics had time to brew. the espresso machine uses pumps to force hot water through the grind results in a stronger darker coffee in 30 odd seconds, still excellent to drink but for Tiramisú too overpowering. ( Caffetiera or mocha napoletana are a good investment looked after they'll last for years)

SPONGE: pan di spagna ONLY

CHOCOLATE : 70% cocao powder before serving or 70%dark chocolate grated finely before serving

if your still reading you deserve a slice of Tiramisú ! your probably thinking that I'm a little anal.. well you'd be right !

if soup can have one so can Tiramisú "I'm the Tiramisú Nazi"
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must warn that anybody who is thinking to use a stick blender to mix the mascarpone cheese into the zabaglione that you should NOT do so. If you do, you will irrecoverably turn the mixture into a loose liquid.

Use the extra elbow grease and keep this from happening to you.
Donnmickie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: marcarpone substitute and a real classic ITALIAN TIRAMISU Reply with quote

I've made tiramisu with a mascapone substitute, being a cheap sob; I use one pound of American Philadelphia cream cheese and blend in 2/3
of sour cream. For what sounds like a very authentic sounding recipe go to the following site: <http://home.comcast.net/~jankemi/recipe/tiramisu.html>
Silvia is VERY adament about what gto useand how to do it; especially when it comes to esspresso.
Don Shock
LOL/Put a sock in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Tiramisu Reply with quote

Huh?

Most of the comments is coming from people with a self inflated ego. Just serving to confuse. I don't care about how much you know of the origination of this dessert, I just wont to prepare & eat. Please note like all things, it is adapted to area, & personal choices. There is no one way of doing anything, most recipes can be modified. Freedom of choice is a good thing. So please stop dictating, & flaunting your knowledge. Thank you Mr Chu for providing another option. If you need to express your views on making this dessert/pick me up, larky, please write a book & stop modifying Mr Chu's recipe. Mr Chu. Thank you. All others put a sock in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: