Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why add sugar to tomato sauce?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schlacht

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a little or a pinch of sugar will help to control the acid of tomato sauce. I also used to put sugar when i making a tomato sauce, because a friend of mine also suggest this tips. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are reasons why the acid is reduced when you add sugar, or potatoes, or carrots. They all contain starch. There is a chemical reaction between the sugars in the foods and the acid in the tomatoes. You form a compound called an ester, which typically has a sweet or neutral flavor to it. It's not the contrast in taste that reduces the acidity. On a similar note, when you add meat to a sauce, it accomplishes the same thing. Or even olive oil. The fats in the meat or oil also react with the acid in the tomatoes to form fatty esters. These also taste somewhat sweet. The time it takes to neutralize the acid in tomato depends on what you're neutralizing it with. Sugar is very fast, while fat is much slower. That's why when folks say they need to cook their sauce for a long time before it tastes less acidic, they are really talking about the neutralization of acid with fat. Try adding more olive oil to your sauce, and you will see what I mean. Oil and tomatoes don't mix (like oil and water!). However, when you cook the sauce for long periods of time, the oil eventually disappears. Because it forms these fatty esters, so it's really no longer olive oil anymore..... Time to make the ester!!! LOL
Diane B.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really very interesting, Guest! Thanks for the details... explains a lot of things and makes sense.

(Do join, or at least keep commenting/explaining Smile )
marian_anson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a nice thread. and now i know why sugar is added in tomato sauce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum