Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sous Vide: An Introduction to Sous Vide Cooking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipwhitley274

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Temperature Limitations. Reply with quote

"Temperature Limitations. You can't sous vide cook near the boiling temperature of water, ..."

Incorrect.
Boiling temperature is at 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit) (give or take based on factors such as elevation), you can certainly cook NEAR that temperature with A SousVide Supreme as it can be set to 99 degrees Celsius (210 degrees Fahrenheit). I'm sure other brands can do so as well, possibly even be set to boiling.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Limitations. Reply with quote

Chipwhitley274 wrote:
"Temperature Limitations. You can't sous vide cook near the boiling temperature of water, ..."

Incorrect.
Boiling temperature is at 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit) (give or take based on factors such as elevation), you can certainly cook NEAR that temperature with A SousVide Supreme as it can be set to 99 degrees Celsius (210 degrees Fahrenheit). I'm sure other brands can do so as well, possibly even be set to boiling.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - this isn't a limitation of the equipment but that most foods contain water. As you approach the boiling point of water, more and more water enters vapor state (the bag puffs up into a balloon) which impedes the heat transfer.
JerryF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: DIY Sous vide Reply with quote

I just use a Ranco ec 111000-000 temperature controller to keep my oven at any given temperature, to dehydrate, to hold 110F to make yogurt and move it over to a deep fat fryer filled with water for Sous vide. so I have this fantastic temperature controller for $50 . that has unlimited possibilities.

Just think about what you want to do and do it.
Carlos Monteiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Deep fryer Reply with quote

Me too, I've been experimenting with a small all steel deep fryer (from Taurus) and a kitchen thermometer...
Waikoloa Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Crockpot Sous Vide Reply with quote Delete this post

An old type crockpot - off-lo-hi - is fine if used with a temp controller such as a Dorkfood plug the pot into the controllers plug, put the controller's thermoprobe in the pot (I usually put 4 small ramikins in btm of pot to keep probe/bags off btm ) plug controller into outlet, set temp, like 132 for ribeye, turn pot to high and give em about 2 hours at temp, dry em and put on HOT grill/Pan for a minute per side. Done
A digital crockpot won't work - as the controller turns pot on and off to maintain within one degree.....if a digital is turned off, she'll stay off no matter whom you know.

And, with about a 6 quart crockpot - no circulator is required as the thermosyphon action in the space is sufficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: