Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calibrating low/med/high on gas stove top HUMOR ME :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallyma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Calibrating low/med/high on gas stove top HUMOR ME :) Reply with quote

I know, I know, what you are all going to say....
but do me a favor.

Those of you with the best rated home stoves, could you try this?

pour 2 Cups 38 degree water from your frig into a standard Standard 10" disposable aluminum pie tin that also has been in that 38 degree frig.

How long does it take on your standard burner to boil at:

High
Med
Low

After cooling under cold water, return pan to frig between tests, should cool quickly.

Unless someone can comes up with a vastly better way of doing this over the next few posts, for standards sake lets keep with this. Definitely open to any ideas!

If anyone responds to this, we can make a post of the average times every 10 or 20 posts. Feel free to do med low, etc.!

We wanted an island stove. We could afford a good standard stove, but apparently only the cheapest island stove. which Home Depot had for around $800. No special simmer or large burner. No digital. The burners seem to go from low,low,low,HIGH!
If I could at least see if my stove can heat high enough as yours this would really help. But doing all the other settings would be the best!

Maybe this is all wrong. But humor me. I will test various items from my upcoming watched tv shows and suscribed cooks country/illustrated magazines and let you know if things come out a lot more reliably. I figure most of the recipes they create is based on stoves like yours...not mine. I hope this will also show how badly some of my cheap cookware behaves (thin bottoms, etc)

Hmmm there is the altitude thing.....maybe post that? I'm in upstate NY at 100 ft above sea level....

And i will do this myself when i get to the store and get a tin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum