Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucchini has two flaws, it tends to be bland and it becomes soggy when cooked. Salting the sliced zucchini and rinsing 20 minutes later, as one does with eggplant, improves both problems.

It's been a while since I used Zucchini in a dish. Now that I have seen what you can do with them, I'll be running to the supermarket to get some zucchinis and start cooking...

Coolcat,
http://www.iwork4self.com/summerrecipes/summerrecipes/

Dip the zucchini in flower and fry in butter with the mushrooms. Do the same with some rainbow trout.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a bit of leftover chicken or beef, cut it into short strips and add it to the zucchini-shallot-mushroon mixture when it first starts cooling, along with a teaspoon of cajun seasoning, adn serve it on a warm tortilla with a bit of sour cream and salsa.
burninH2O

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a caregiver for an elderly mexican woman, and I know she'll like this recipe. Though she'll make me add a pepper or two. She likes her food that way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: english Reply with quote

a zucchini.

in english we call them courgettes Wink
C

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: courgettes/marrows/zucchini Reply with quote

We get a nice "miniture" zucchini here in South Africa - call it a baby marrow. They are about 10cm (4") long and 3cm in diameter. They go great in a chicken&cream pasta!

Anyone know of a "vegetables of the world" website with some nice pics and descriptions?
cupace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms Reply with quote

Cooking the mushrooms on 'high' will eliminate the need to evaporate the water which bleeds out at lower temperture cooking. They also brown up nicely with the higher heat.
A twice weekly guest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Impressed Reply with quote

What I've noticed the most is how clean you keep your kitchen and its equipments. I'm abit of an anal retentive kitchen operator and I'm so pleased to see the stove, cutting board, etc. in such pristine condition Big smile

Thank you for sharing!
Janet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms Reply with quote

BAKED Zucchini + Mushrooms

I make something similiar but baked.
Slice small zucchini into 1/4 pieces and dump into greased casserole. Sautee quartered mushrooms in olive oil/ butter until lightly browned, add freshly ground black pepper and (essential) ground cardamom, and continue to fry until just begininning to release juices. Spread mushrooms over zucchini. Top casserole with grated tangy white cheese (in Mexico I use Manchego, Monterey Jack would work in the US) and bake for 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and zucchini are just tender.
Quantities vary on numbers being served but this dish always goes fast so make a lot.
Also, as I live in Mexico, I've compiled a fairly comprehensive list of English-Spanish ingredient translations (particularly spices), if anyone is interested.
Joana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Test Recipes: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms Reply with quote

Hi!
That looks like eggplant, not zuchini. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Looks great, though! Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Test Recipes: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms Reply with quote

Joana wrote:
That looks like eggplant, not zuchini. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It does look like eggplant. But, it's zucchini.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Sauteed Zucchini with Mushrooms Reply with quote

I stumbled on (and made and enjoyed) your recipe earlier this year, but now that it's "zucchini time" in the northern US (pounds and pounds of zucchini all ripening at the same time in everyone's veggie garden), I remembered your recipe as a really tasty way to use some of the pounds and pounds of zucchini we have.

Your recipe is on tonight's menu, along with grilled chicken, roasted red potatoes, and purple cauliflower (given to us by a friend). Yum! Can't wait!

Thanks for the great recipe.
ANNIE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: FYI Reply with quote

I WAS GOING TO TAKE A FEW MINUTE BREAK FROM STUDIES AND GET BACK ON THE BOOKS. I HAVE BEEN ON YOUR SITE FOR HOURS. WHAT A GREAT SITE. I PARTICULARILY LIKE HOW YOU WRITE THE RECEIPE CARDS. YOU CAN KNOW I'M GOING TO LAMINATE THEM AND TAPE THEM INSIDE MY CUPBOARD DOORS. THE PHOTOS WITH THE INGREDIENTS AND METHOD AND STEP IN COOKING ARE WONDERFUL. SEEING HOW SOME OF RECEIPES ARE DONE (TIRAMISU?) TAKE THE INTIMIDATION OUT OF THE EQUATION. YOU CAN BET I AM GOING TO TELL OTHERS OF YOUR WEB SITE. I HAVE SON'S WHO CALL ON OCCASSION AND ASK HOW TO MAKE SOMETHING. I'M MAKING A RECEIPE BOOK FOR HIM AND WILL INCLUDE YOUR WEBSITE AS A RESOURCE/ THANK YOU. I APPREICATE ALL YOUR TIME AND EFFORT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Zucchini for Bread Help Please Reply with quote

Hi
Could someone please show me a picture of what kind of zucchini is used for making the sweet zucchini bread.. I made some yesterday and i used short thin style ones ...well the bread turned out terrible it was dry and not very sweet..i used a recipe that had excellent reviews .. i usually have no problem with recipes so was wondering if it was the type of zucchini i used... Would appreciate any help..
Thank You
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: