Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Lemon Iced Tea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HKTeaDrinker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: iced lemon tea. Reply with quote

check out www.icedlemontea.com for interesting recipies. I am personally a fan of HK style iced lemon tea
Bognor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Ice tea Reply with quote

I read somewhere that in the 1800s iced tea was made with green tea (grown in America too) and hot tea with black tea. Both work great and flavored tea like Earl Grey (orange oil) is nice as well.

Anyhow here is my current method:

2 tablespoons tea leaves
2 quarts boiling water (electric kettles rock!)
1 glass coffee pot (like the ones used for automatic makers - glass = no bpa)
medium sieve
round filter paper for automatic coffee maker

Black tea: put the leaves in the pot and pour in water
Green tea: put the water in the pot, wait a bit to let it cool to about 180F then put in the leaves to avoid shocking the tea and increasing bitterness.

Let this sit until it reaches room temp - an hour or so. I have left it longer and it does not seem to make a difference.

In a gallon jug, mine is plastic Rubbermaid brand, put in about 1/3 - 1/2 cup sugar if you like it and dissolve in a few cups of water, fill up about half way with cold water. put the filter paper in the sieve and pour the tea from the pot through the filter and into the jug. Stir and refrigerate.

For a while I used hot or warm water in the plastic jug then realized it was not a good idea because of BPA. I should probably get a big glass pitcher too.
peejaycee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: lemon ice tea Reply with quote

ive only ever drunk liptons until i came upon your recipe,i wont be buying anymore!Thanks for a delicious,refreshing drink.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Is The REFRACTOMETER Reading ? I use one in the kitchen left over from my lab days....it goes from 1% sugar to 50%. I prefer Tetley Tea..English style.
sukasend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Iced Black Tea Reply with quote

Hi,

I found the following iced black tea recipe on the Red Rose tea website:

1. Bring 3 cups of fresh water to a rolling boil.
2. Add the water to a teapot with four black tea bags.
3. Steep for 3 to 5 minutes, according to taste. Remove tea bags.
4. If you enjoy your iced tea sweetened, stir in 1 cup of granulated sugar until it dissolves.
5. You may also add ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice for a citrus flavour.
6. Allow the hot tea to cool down, then add 5 cups of cold water to your mixture.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have made this tea four times and each time it gets better.. I don't like to mess with something someone else has perfected... I love your tea and it's what I was looking to make.. easy, have all the stuff and it's made in no time flat.. Thanks so much... you made my summer iced tea a pleasure for me...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this recipe Smile I tried a halved version a couple days ago in case I couldn't get it to turn out, but it was amazing. I'm currently waiting for the tea to steep on another full batch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: perfect recipe Reply with quote

Hi there, for me this is spot on and the kids love it. 9 and 10 years old and they can make it themselves which i a bonus.

thanks.
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this would taste EXACTLY LIKE liptons did (Before adding MALTODEXTRIN FOR NO REASON!!)
BLoB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Steeping Reply with quote

Okay so if im making half the amount, do i steep for half the time?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Steeping Reply with quote

BLoB wrote:
Okay so if im making half the amount, do i steep for half the time?

No, if you are halving the water and the amount of tea, then you should steep for the same amount of time.
Joshb44231

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Seriously? Reply with quote

Could your tea be any weaker? I enjoy iced tea, not water flavored with lemon and tea. So not call this iced tea as it is not! Shameful recipe! To make true iced tea you use about 14-16 per gallon/4 quarts, and 7-8 per half gallon/2 quarts for tea.

Btw Bruce, do not insult is Americans. We have our own system of measurement we like just fine.
Carolyne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Iced Tea Reply with quote

I am never paying for Nestea again. This taste the exact same!!! Thank you! Smile
Tiago

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this with 3 bags of Twinings Earl Grey and it came out really nice, next time I'll try to add a bit more lemon though.
Dude111

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: I mi$$ lipton iced tea!!!! Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: