Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whence the recent new traffic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Whence the recent new traffic? Reply with quote

Michael,

Traffic here seems to have picked up quite a bit over the last week or so. Do you have any idea where it's coming from?

Just curious.

Jim
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't actually get a real increase in traffic over the last week. There was a slight bump from reddit, but mostly the traffic levels are the same. What has changed is that people are posting more. Generally, when activity pops up like this (especially with people making only one comment per account), I'm concerned of a forthcoming spammer attack. So far, it seems everyone who commented is legit - so maybe the type of people finding Cooking For Engineers in the last week or so have been more eager to post than previous users.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the number of stupid and useless replies by "guests" or posters with a single comment has increased dramatically. I don't know if you see it, but when I log in each morning I certainly do.

Signal to noise ratio is going WAY down!

I'd hate to be in your shoes because I wouldn't know how to combat it.

Perhaps a probationary account requiring 3 or more posts within a month or two lest the account be deleted?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I see them. We've been deleting messages and banning users quite a bit lately.

Last edited by Michael Chu on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you back in the Bay Area? I thought you moved to Texas some time back.

Best of luck with the moderation.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just never remembered to change my profile. I'm in Austin.

There are so many new users that we're "watching" that it's starting to get a little overwhelming. Spammers have taken to posting some stupid comment and then coming back to edit them adding links. But, until the links are added, I don't want to delete the comment or ban the user.
Honeygator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: I am a new useer Reply with quote

I am a new user and I love this site. I don't know how much traffic I will contribute, I love the idea of test kitchen cuisine. America's Test Kitchen costs money, but I do take the magazine, and I'm a big fan of Shirley Corriher.
CGoucher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this site today. I've enjoyed reading it and will continue to come back. Sometimes I'll post, sometimes I won't. It's all gonna depend on my mood at the time. Wink
emmamegan1983

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am newbie here. Thanks guy for sharing.
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 'new traffic'. Smile
Noticed the site doesn't get much. Nowadays, so much has moved to the social media stuff. Websites aren't very popular. I've been online with computers since before there was an internet. I just don't swallow the social media sites much. Do on twitter to listen to Trump's Administration.

Anyway... I don't mind. Came here because I'm wanting to learn better cooking. Tired of my warming things up. Steak, chicken, eggs. All just heated up in a frying pan. Would like to actually learn to cook. Make stuff that tastes good.

Although I wasn't an engineer. Very close. About the highest a blue collar worker could get in electricity. Worked under some great engineers. Doing testing for them.

Just picked up some 'gadgets'. Will post on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum