Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End Grain Cutting board help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkaspet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: End Grain Cutting board help Reply with quote

I am in the market to buy an end grain cutting board... I was thinking of getting a walnut board end grain board. Does anybody have any reviews or thoughts about the boards at [spammer site removed] I cannot seem to find reviews for these boards from this site, however they look quite nice though.

Here are the questions I have, any help would be great!
What should I look for in an end grain board? I’m quite confused as there are too many choices out there and hundreds of different sites.

Is walnut a good choice as far as material? It looks too nice , will it get ruined? Is it too hard/soft?

Is it worth the money to get an end grain board vs edge grain?
If I get one with a gravy channel is that difficult to clean?
They say they use mineral oil and beeswax on them, is that normal? Or should it be sealed with a clear coating of some sort?

Should I get a cutting board with legs / feet on it? Or is it better to have it without feet so I can flip the board over? Toooo many combinationssss , what should I dooo…

Any recommendations would be great! Does anybody have a walnut cutting board like the ones at the site I mentioned? Please send me a message or reply as I do not want to pay so much for something without knowing if it’s a good cutting board.

Sorry if I had too many questions.. Thank you all again!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your apprehensions are well justified.

the domain was created:
Creation Date: 13-jul-2011

there is no phone / address / identification of any kind on the site.
it is registered anonymously:

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration [spammer site removed]@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

those kinds of "businesses" do not inspire my confidence, any business that has gone to those lengths to disguise itself is suspect in my book.

their pricing is also not inspiring -
compare to www.theboardsmith.com - he's one of the better known and reputable sources.

the classic for cutting/chopping boards/blocks is maple - other woods are softer.
maple will last a very long time - but given the much lighter duty in a home kitchen, the other woods will also last many years - and indeed stuff like walnut is a tad 'prettier'

regular care with bees wax / mineral oil is standard.
finishes: lacquers, varnishes, urethanes should be avoided.

end grain is considered top notch in terms of being easier on the knife edges.

Last edited by Dilbert on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
yocona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: End Grain Cutting board help Reply with quote

rkaspet wrote:

Here are the questions I have, any help would be great!
What should I look for in an end grain board? I’m quite confused as there are too many choices out there and hundreds of different sites.

Is walnut a good choice as far as material? It looks too nice , will it get ruined? Is it too hard/soft?

Is it worth the money to get an end grain board vs edge grain?
If I get one with a gravy channel is that difficult to clean?
They say they use mineral oil and beeswax on them, is that normal? Or should it be sealed with a clear coating of some sort?

Should I get a cutting board with legs / feet on it? Or is it better to have it without feet so I can flip the board over? Toooo many combinationssss , what should I dooo…

If you are set on getting an end grain board, I think the most important criterion is to buy it from a company that's been making them for a long time. Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra expense. I have never noticed any difference in knife wear. And if you care for your board properly, either type will last for many years.

No feet. In addition to the impractical aspect of not being able to use both sides, I don't like the feel of cutting on a board with feet. I do like the gravy channel; it's no problem to clean, and really comes in handy when tomatoes are in season.

Absolutely do not apply any kind of sealer. Wood has natural anti-bacterial properties, and a sealer would eliminate that benefit. All you need is mineral oil, which you can buy in any drug store or large grocery store.

The choice of wood really comes down to personal preference. Maple is my preference because I prefer the feel. (Aesthetically, I couldn't care less.) I also have a polyurethane board reserved exclusively for raw proteins, solely because poly boards can be put in a dishwasher and/or bleached. With a kitchen towel on the counter beneath the board, the feel isn't bad.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this company: http://www.cuttingboardgallery.com/

They have been in business for a long time. Also, the Food Network uses their boards (and I have one of them) and I'm very pleased with it.

I always liked the look of the walnut boards, but was initially afraid that being dark, it would be harder to use and to see my fingers than a light colored maple board. After using the board, I liked it better than maple because my fingers showed up better and had better contrast against the walnut than maple, making them easier to see so I don't cut them, since I don't chop without looking like the professional chefs.

I like the board very much. Whether it is worth the increase in money, is a personal concern. I would buy another one if the need arises.
rkaspet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: End Grain Cutting boards Reply with quote

I ended up going with [spammer site removedl] the site I mentioned before, I just liked the way the walnut boards looked that they had.. I called them up and the were actually quite helpful.. turns out they are made like 30 mins from me so im going to drop by their woodshop to pick it up tomorrow woohoo! Ill let everyone know how it is when I get it back to my countertop.
rkaspet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I would update everyone--- Ive been using the board I got for a about a week now, all the joints are tight and precise, I got it with feet on it, which Im happy i did, keeps it from trapping moisture under the board... im extremely happy with it and will likely buy some for my family for the holidays..
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Please check in after a year or two...
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very curious.

rkaspet you posted here on November 10:
"Ive been using the board I got for a about a week now"

and yet on November 9 at 12:42 in finecooking.com you said:
"I am trying to figure out what type of cutting board to buy... I was looking at buying an end grain cutting board and wanted some advice of what people think is the best options. I was thinking to buy one of the darker walnut boards, but im unsure if they are ideal for my knives.. does anybody have any thoughts? Has anybody have any reviews or thoughts about the boards at [spammer / shill site removed] . . .

so, how's business?
why are you still looking for the very same advice (cut&paste is a terrible waste of a keyboard) a week after you bought it?

before anyone takes the shill seriously - check the dates
http://forums.finecooking.com/cookstalk/kitchen-equipment/end-grain-cutting-boards
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2666

edit: gets better
Nov 9
http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/25/t/847599.aspx

Nov 10
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/140960-wood-cutting-boards/page__p__1848098__hl__cutting+board__fromsearch__1#entry1848098

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25366&forum=6&post_id=279507
(on the above site one can find the real shill and his site)

Nov 14
http://www.foodnetworkfans.com/forum/kitchen-gear-appliances/26658-end-grain-cutting-boards.html
end edit

and here's more spam:
http://forums.cooking.com/showthread.php?t=12409
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=355803
http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?10970-End-Grain-Cutting-board-help

Last edited by Dilbert on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch Dilbert!
yocona

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Then I guess it's not a surprise after all, that he lives 30 minutes from the business in question.
The BoardSMITH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very observent Dilbert. I saw these threads myself and wondered why there were so many and you caught him! Shameless! Makes the honest makers look bad.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure it makes the good guys look bad - perhaps to the internet novice - but I smelled a rat from the beginning. the continuing shill postings were a big red flag and once one compares dates, well . . . .

btw, I'm still looking to get a custom knife block. did you get my PM a thousand years back?
The BoardSMITH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not making knife blocks any further for a host of reasons I'll not bore anyone here with. I will stick with what I know best without trying to trick and fool anyone into buying one from me like the OP in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum