Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Saturated Fats, Cholesterol, and Heart Diseas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridgetla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much eggs can a cholesterol patient eat in a week? I am cholesterol patient , I take medicine ( Lipiget)to control the level. But I like eating eggs very much, some people says that egg with yolk is not harmful. I would like to know, how much does an egg harmful to increase the level. I am Diabetic also. Please anser me at my e-mail add.

Last edited by bridgetla on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic information about eggs is readily available - but you must speak with your doctor for recommendations specific to your own levels.

note that egg whites do not contain any cholesterol - it's all in the yolk.

source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

/quote
Here are the facts: One large egg has about 213 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol intake to less than 300 mg a day. If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or high LDL (or "bad") cholesterol, you should limit your dietary cholesterol intake to less than 200 mg a day. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit or avoid other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites. If you want to reduce cholesterol in a recipe that calls for eggs, use two egg whites or 1/4 cup cholesterol-free egg substitute in place of one whole egg.
/unquote
Julie Perry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: glad to see someone thinking Reply with quote

Thank you for this article, whether perfectly wrong or perfectly correct what it also does is give the fleeting concept that perhaps people should think and do some information mining on their own. Until "scientific studies" also list who funded the study, the questions asked / results obtained and other mitigating factors that affect the outcome of the "results," we should all consider them to be pretty much bunk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally this has been posted to a cooking site (and a good one, if I might add). I read about this entire ordeal about a year ago and it confirms what I have experienced myself. My cholesterol levels are very low, my blood pressure is even a little too low and I consume pretty large amounts of natural saturated fats. I eat 2-4 eggs daily. I love my butter. I love my cream and full fat yogurts. I have a healthy weight and I live a moderately active lifestyle.
If you would replace all the full fat products with low fat ones, this is especially true for dairy products, your body wouldn't even be able to absorb all the calcium you need. Ever heard of protein starvation?

I rest my case.
dprato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: good evidence, perhaps incorrect conclusions Reply with quote

I love the detail and length you go to in defending you arguments but some of the conclusions you come to may be in error, and I think there are some flaws in your logic. You mention that the plaque in arteries is 3/4 polyunsaturated fat (PUSF), and using that evidence and a few other points you argue we should reduce PUSF intake. However the PUSF we consume through our food may not necessarily make its final resting place in the arteries - just as the cholesterol we consume may not significantly affect our blood levels of cholesterol. The chemical processing that fat undergoes once it is digested and altered by the body I am sure is rather complex, but the assertion that there is a DIRECT correlation between the amount of PUSF we consume and the amount of PUSF that builds up in arteries is not substantiated - EVEN if the fat in the arteries is composed PUSF. Where that fat came from and how it got into the arteries needs to be more fully elucidated upon before we can assume that that fat went directly from our mouths to our arteries. I think the best indicator of how we should eat in terms of heart health should come from the example of those populations that have the lowest incidence of heart disease. To the best of my knowledge the people with the lowest incidence of heart disease are the Cretans (which is an island of greece) They eat a TON of olive oil, and the traditional cretan diet did not contain a lot of meat, particularly red meat. In fact I think the cretans were vegetarians for centuries, although I am not 100% sure of this. I believe their saturated fat intake came from cheeses from the milk of animals like goat and sheep.
dprato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: so new great information Reply with quote

I watched this VERY GOOD presentation from a Dr. Robert Lustig at UCSF on the relationships between, sugar, cholesterol and heart disease and obesity, and I got some really good info.  It is a bit of a long presentation, so I summarized what I thought were the most important points - but if you want to watch it, here it is:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/01/26/Sugar-May-Be-Bad-But-This-Sweetener-Is-Far-More-Deadly-Part-2.aspx

Important Points

1.The most reliable indicator of heart disease is not your LDL level.  The LDL that we get measured in a lab is actually a combination of two LDL's: one that is a small, dense, bad LDL and the other that is larger, lighter LDL that is essentially harmless.  It is only the small LDL that contributes to heart disease and commercial labs wont distinguish between the two when measuring your overall cholesterol.

2.The most sensitive indicator of risk for heart disease is your ratio of triglycerides to HDL.  A high triglyceride level combined with a low HDL is the most sensitive indicator for heart disease.

3.Sugar, particularly fructose gets metabolized into triglycerides and bad LDL.  Sucrose is half fructose so it too should also be avoided.

4.Glucose, the kind of sugar found in pastas, potatoes and rice is much better for you than sucrose and fructose ( sweets, desserts, soda, fruit juice) and gets metabolized much differently than sucrose or fructose - only a very small amount of bad LDL is produced with glucose metabolism; however this doctor felt that any carbohydrates, pasta, potatoes etc, should be eaten along with fiber

5. This talk was more about the role of sugar than fat, but I emailed him asking him to explain the relationship between saturated fat and heart disease a little more. He said that for people with a Family history of high cholesterol, saturated fats should be watched. But he said for everyone else it is probably a three prong problem. 1. Too many calories 2. too may carbs. 3 too much saturated fat. If you pick a diet where you eliminate one of these three your risk goes down.
For instance, with a calorie restricted diet, you are unlikely to get heart disease regardless of what you eat. Or if you do a low carb diet like atkins your risk goes down. If you do a low saturated fat diet, your risk also goes down. It is the union of the three which causes a “disaster”

6. A lot of the old data regarding saturated fat did not take into account the role of transfat and sugar, so saturated fat got an overwhelming portion of the blame- although it is not entirely innocent either

For the record I too eat butter and olive oil, though I am interested in others like coconut oil, rice bran oil and sunflower oil.
lukasj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Transfats Reply with quote

I participated in a niacin study about 20 years ago. The doctor running the study was convinced that transfats were the most damaging thing you could put into your body. I have studiously avoided them since.

My cholesterol has always been well over 300. When tesgted it varies between 320 and 350, HDLS between 35 and 50 depending on if I am exercising or doing phisical work.

I recently had some extensive cardiac testing for what turned out not to be a problem including a nuc stress test, heart echograms and CAT scans. No plaque/ problems noted.

I cook with lard, butter, oilive oil, corn oil, sesame oil etc depending on what flavors I am after.

My experience says avoiding transfat is the way to go. I am 62 YEars old

I now beleive statin benefits are a pharma industry creation.

Cheers and pass the lard please.
baramully

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When should I start worrying about my cholesterol? I'm 15, and I eat two eggs just about everyday. (Every school day, at least.) I looked at the egg carton and it said one egg contains 79% cholesterol daily value. So that means I go over the recommended amount of cholesterol in my first meal! I was just wondering, is two eggs five days a week bad? Should I stop? People have told me that I'm young and I shouldn't worry about my cholesterol at this age, if so, when should I start?

Last edited by baramully on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baramully -

curiously, there was a recent news wire item about having youngsters tested at age 12. so getting yours checked is certainly not a bad idea, especially if there is a history of cholesterol issues in your family tree.

one could suspect the 'reasons' is ease of prevention - if you know you're prone to cholesterol build up, easier to avoid than "fix" later.

there is also a great deal of debate on the danger of ingesting cholesterol - such as eggs - and its effect on serum cholesterol. not sure the actual true facts and cause-effect relationship is proven.
Kris Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Saturated fat and cholesterol are not bad for you Reply with quote

Thank you, Michael, for your post on fat and cholesterol. It's too bad there is so much confusing info in the comment section. I suspect that those who claim the research shows that saturated fat is bad haven't really looked carefully at the research and evaluated its bias and flaws. There is a dietitian who did just that when she was called on the carpet by the dietetic police. Here careful analysis is posted here "QUESTION EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BEEN TAUGHT – A Registered Dietician’s Letter to the ADA" http://www.allinpaleo.com/question-everything/

Her assignment was to demonstrate why she should recommend vegetable oils rather than animal fats, that stance of conventional dietitians, but her research showed there was no solid scientific basis for that recommendation

As a retired and reformed dietitian I agree 100%
Kris
http://www.MercyViewMeadow.org
Annonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Scientific information behind dietary recommendations Reply with quote Delete this post

The 436 page 2015 report of a USDA panel of dietary scientists charged with reviewing the scientific literature to support dietary recommendations is available online

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/PDFs/Scientific-Report-of-the-2015-Dietary-Guidelines-Advisory-Committee.pdf

The report addresses the associations between saturated fat intake and health conditons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: