Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tai marinade / dressing ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Tai marinade / dressing ? Reply with quote

Cannot find recipe for clear Tai "dressing" presented with simple salad + shrimp. It is essentially clear w/ what may be shreds of red pepper. Similar to a vinegarette but a touch of heat. I've surfed just about everywhere. World Market may have the ingredients, but a hint on proportions would help me get started. What I brought home was divine over cucumbers, just before serving. . .no seasoning required. Thanks! Unsure
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which dressing it is you are referring to but many Thai dressings are similar to:
chopped shallots, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro, crushed mint leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, ground dried red chili, and sugar. Generally, there is more shallots and roughly equal amounts of the rest (except for the crushed chili which less of is used). Adjust according to what flavors you want to come through more.

Most of the recipes I'm aware of use the liquid in which the meat is cooked. For example, beef, pork, chicken, or shrimp could be served with the salad and that meat is lightly simmered in chicken broth. The broth is reserved and combined with these ingredients (about 2-3 tablespoons of each for a cup of broth should be about right if I remember correctly) to make the dressing.
JulieB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
I'm not sure which dressing it is you are referring to but many Thai dressings are similar to:
chopped shallots, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro, crushed mint leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, ground dried red chili, and sugar. Generally, there is more shallots and roughly equal amounts of the rest (except for the crushed chili which less of is used). Adjust according to what flavors you want to come through more.

Most of the recipes I'm aware of use the liquid in which the meat is cooked. For example, beef, pork, chicken, or shrimp could be served with the salad and that meat is lightly simmered in chicken broth. The broth is reserved and combined with these ingredients (about 2-3 tablespoons of each for a cup of broth should be about right if I remember correctly) to make the dressing.

Thanks for your quick response. This gives me a start. I can 'fiddle' around with it. . .I had ordered, basically, a lettuce and prawn salad and the dressing was clear. I might be able to not use the fish sauce, but the other flavors absolutely sound right.

Had almost thought to go back. . .it's a Mom 'n Pop. . .and [truly] indicate I was moving back to Idaho and would they share not the quantities but what was in it.

I believe original ideas are precious and need to be protected, but what I brought home for the cumcumbers was outstanding! Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum