Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Braised Brussels Sprouts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: sprouts Reply with quote

try this variation...

steam the sprouts for 4-5 minutes. no longer.
heat 2 TBL butter in a saute pan

immediately transfer the sprouts to the butter to finish the cooking. sprinkle with a little salt and oregano. go easy on the oregano. don't wanna kill it.

saute for 2 minutes. let sprouts sit in pan for a few seconds or so without disturbing during the saute. then toss and let sit again. this creates areas of browning on the sprouts that taste good.

serve immediately.
Viv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Spicy Frog Balls (Brussels Sprouts) Reply with quote

Somebody point me in the direction of the recipe for those awesome "frog balls"!! Had my first one today by someone who brought a jar back from Arizona...wow!
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brussell sprouts shouldn't even be braised -- they should be incinerated! Big smile
SeeCilCook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Brussels Baby! Reply with quote

I had never had a Brussels Sprout as a child -- It's not featured in Filipino cooking.

One star-studded event at the W Hotel in Los Angeles changed my life! Apparently the chef there is quite famous for their Brussels. It has an Asian flair stirfried with nuts and crispy garlic. AMAZING! I had to ask my friend what it was.

I've been hooked ever since. Love them crispy with olive oil, garlic and parmeseano reggiano.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brussels spouts fall into the "hate 'em" / "luv' em" category.

not dissimilar to lima beans.

makes not a wit "how" they are prepared, some folk hate 'em; some folk luv' em.

there is for taste, no accounting. . . .
badchippo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: This isn't braising... Reply with quote

This is only simmering. Braising starts at very high heat for a maillard reaction and then moves to low heat in a covered pot for a long slow simmer. It's a method most often used for breaking down the connective tissue in tough cuts of meat.

Quickly simmering brussel sprouts is a great idea, but please don't call it braising since it's really only a shortened version of the last step of actual braising.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brussels sprouts on the stalk are available at Trader Joes. I told my kids they were monster spines as it is Halloween time. Smile Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: New to your site Reply with quote

Always loved sprouts, also known in the Navy as little green MF-ers. But I don't remember any courses in my EE curriculum including recipes like this. Just found your site and love it. Thank you.
Debelack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Carmelize them Reply with quote

I disdain braised vegetables. It takes away from their flavor. This is one of the few applications where I use a microwave. I prepare the Brussels sprouts as you suggest, but cut them in half. I will microwave them for 60-90 seconds, then caramelize them face down until nicely browned. I often will cook some bacon lardons first, then brown them in the drained residue.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Carmelize them Reply with quote

Debelack wrote:
I disdain braised vegetables. It takes away from their flavor.

Are the vegetables being braised too long? In this recipe, they are only braised for 8 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: