Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Pumpkin Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillKx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Thanksgiving a couple of days away for us here in Canada - I love pumpkin pie. Can't wait to try this recipe and enjoy the tastes of the season.

There are some pretty lame pumpkin pies out there - need to ensure there is enough bite (spice) to it.
Thanks for posting.
sweetsbaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not be disappointed when you use this recipe. I followed the directions and made the pumpkin pies which had great results along with compliments. Getting ready to make another batch of pies in the next few weeks.
cscottrun4it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Still Good After All These Years Reply with quote

Two years ago, I found this receipt while at my sister's for Thanksgiving. I was very happy with the outcome, but lost receipt. Then, two years later, I found it again!

This receipt is like a Grandma's -- it never disappoints. I double it every time I make pies, and it is always great. I am currently baking my 8th and 9th pumpkin pies using this receipt. They smell awesome, a great way to spend the night before Thanksgiving in Colorado!
sweetsbaker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin pie Reply with quote

I agree that the recipe is great. I have stocked up on canned pumpkin to last me for a few months. Will start baking pies in December. Enjoy.
YoungDonnaYoung

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe Ever! Reply with quote

Year after year, I try pumpkin pie recipes hoping to find "THE ONE"... now, thanks to CFE's Pumpkin Pie recipe, I have found it!!!! It has just the perfect balance of sweetness and spice. I love the consistency too, not too dense and not watery. The one small thing I would change is that I would use LIGHT brown sugar not dark because the color of the filling is more "pumpkin-y", the dark sugar makes the filling look too brown. (Just an aesthetic tweak.) I have to say that I converted two pumpkin pie haters with this recipe! Definitely give it a try, you can't go wrong! Thanks, Michael!
sweetsbaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light brown sugar sound like a good idea for me to try soon. I usually have more light than dark brown sugar in the cabinet anyway. Thanks for the tip when I run out of dark brown sugar.
rose petal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: pumpkin pie Reply with quote

reading the article or receipe on this site for the pumpkin pie. They say to do a egg wash on crust before you bake it,to prevent a soggy crust. If you just docked it wouldnt the egg wash clog the holes and not let the pie steam?
rose petal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: pumpkin pie Reply with quote

Forgot to ask, does the docking allow filling or leakage from filling into pie crust?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the directions of Msg #1 call for docking / using weights and pre-bake / blind baking the crust. the original does not suggest the egg wash.

it is however not uncommon to egg wash the crust - aim is to keep it crisper.

I've done all of the above in many different combinations but have not had the issue of an egg wash 'clogging' holes and defeating the docking purpose.

in theory yes, the egg wash could do that - perhaps the steam is generated fast enough it blows the dock holes open before the egg has a chance to set?
rose petal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: pumpkin pie Reply with quote

by any chance from the docking does the filling seep through?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not had it happen here - the holes are very very small - I use a run of the mill dinner fork for docking - no 'special' tools
liza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: whole pumpkin Reply with quote Delete this post

I made this pie using a whole cooking pumpkin i bought at the farmer's market. I cut the pumpkin into pieces, scooped out the seeds and strings and baked the pieces in a casserole dish covered in foil until the flesh can easily be pierced with a fork. Once it was cool I pressed it through a potato ricer. The first squeeze yields only liquid, which I separated to prevent the filling from being too wet. It turned out really well, but so much extra work, I think I'll stick with the canned pumpkin next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: