Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Homemade Mayonnaise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aarwdc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: failed mayonnaise and salmonella Reply with quote

I didn't have time to read through all of the previous posts but I saw several themes, some of my comments are repetitive I apologize.
1- things to do with failed mayonnaise
- make salad dressing out of it using recipes that would use good mayonnaise. Add buttermilk for instance, and Parmesan cheese to make a ranch like dressing. Or stir in some yogurt and add some herbs. Mix in sesame tahini or grind up any other kind of nut, for instance sunflower seeds and walnuts etc. and add in to your salad dressing if you prefer a nondairy variety. Blend with some tofu and add spices as well.
– add some sesame tahini and garbanzo beans and turn your failed mayonnaise into hummus. Be sure to add plenty of garlic. Or, use tahini and steamed or baked eggplant to create baba ghannouj.
– You can also try blending up vegetables such as raw cauliflower onions, garlic with your failed mayonnaise and some ground nuts of your choice – probably need the food processor for this – to make a pâté like spread.

2 – salmonella
the acidity of vinegar and lemon along with salt will likely kill any live bacteria. Mix your egg yolks first with either with vinegar and salt and let them sit for a while to ensure direct contact. That said, organic eggs, according to Mercola.com, are safer than factory farmed eggs. Search Mercola.com for 'eggs' for more information.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mix with sambal, sriracha, and crumbled bleu cheese.

best thing ever with home fries.
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmmmmm i approve of this thread!! (I love mayo,makes things taste better Smile)
kc

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Getting the oil drizzle right Reply with quote

I use a 60ml syringe without a needle attached to incorporate the initial oil. It's very easy to control, much lighter than any other container and the oil can be added drop-by-drop until it emulsifies. I just refill the syringe and keep adding the oil in a steady stream later. Thought I'd put that out there in hopes I could save anyone else a mayo failure or two. (BTW, add some more lemon juice, some melted butter and the failed mayo makes a great sauce for asparagus.)
FatBear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: A different take on mayonnaise Reply with quote

I have never made mayonnaise before. The other day I was cooking salmon with a garlic/lime/cilantro/pepper/sesame oil marinade. I wanted a sauce to put over some asparagus so I invented one. It turned out really well. When my wife asked how I did it and I told her she said I had basically made mayonnaise. Surprised me. We call it Briannaise. It was embarrassingly easy. I cracked an egg into the blender and squeezed in a huge, juicy lime. (Equal to two ordinary ones.) I added some salt, cilantro, and a few tablespoons of sesame oil. I turned on the blender and ran it for a few minutes to really whip things up. Sesame oil comes in various levels of flavor, so I checked the flavor at this point and it was enough. I then slowly poured olive oil in the little hole in the top until I had enough sauce. I ran it for a while until it seemed as firm as it was going to get and it was done. Only took five minutes, total. It is a great Thai-ish kind of flavor.

Oh, I should add that using farm-fresh eggs probably helped this a lot. Mine had yolks so rich they were orange and they stand up almost spherically round - unless you crack them directly onto the blender blades like I did. :-) Old supermarket eggs have pallid, saggy yolks that aren't really very good for much.

--Brian
yocona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree--fresh farm eggs make all the difference. Not to mention the health risks associated with eating uncooked commercial eggs.

Try making a mayo with lots of garlic, fresh basil and lemon juice sometime. It is a great condiment for fish.
A Nony Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Too much lemon! Reply with quote

I used ReaLemon lemon juice instead of fresh squeezed and my mayo came out super lemon-y. I'm sure I can just tell my husband it's lemon aioli and no one else will know the difference. I think next time I'll cut back on the lemon juice or try vinegar.

I used an immersion blender (stick blender) and it worked great. In the pharmacy we use them to make our emulsions since making them by hand often leads to "cracking".
Antilope

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Mayonnaise using a stick blender Reply with quote

A Poem About Mayonnaise?

A Blender at the end of a stick,

will make you mayo very quick!

With all your ingredients at the temp of the room,

how could your mayonnaise fail to bloom?

If the width of the jar is nearly the same,

as the end of the stick then you're in the game.

To a one quart jar add the egg of a chicken,

both yellow and white and your mayonnaise will thicken.

On top of the egg way down in the jar,

add vinegar, spices and you will go far.

Now carefully pour on top of the stuff,

the oil of your choice, but just use enough.

Turn off the stick, press the egg to the bottom,

now turn it on and we almost have got'um.

When you see mayo at the end of the stick,

slowly pull upward that's part of the trick.

With the blender now at the top of the jar,

it's mayo you wanted so there you are!

Though Mayo's a matter of personal taste,

when it's around me it won't go to waste.

Finding Hellmann's or even the Food that is Best,

depends on whether you're east or you're west.

But wherever you end your food buying trip,

you always will find they have Miracle Whip!

- Antilope

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade Best Foods/Hellmans Mayonnaise using stick blender

1 whole egg, medium or large size
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (bottled ok)
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1/4 tsp prepared yellow mustard)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
dash white pepper
1 cup vegetable (canola*) oil, room temperature

*Olive Oil will make a strong flavored mayo that tastes very different from
regular mayonnaise. So just be aware of this if you choose to use olive oil.
Canola is a neutal flavored oil that makes a mayo similar to most store brands.

Break egg into bottom of 1-quart canning jar or other tall narrow jar that
allows you to immerse the mixing blades of a stick blender all the way to
the bottom. The jar should be only slightly wider than the end of the stick blender.

Add lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, table salt and white pepper.

Add 1 cup of vegetable oil.

Place mixing blades of stick blender (turned off) all the way to the bottom
of the jar, pressing down over the egg.

Turn stick blender on high speed, hold in place at bottom of jar for about
5-seconds until you see mayonnaise form under stick blender's mixing blades.

Slowly pull stick blender upward until the mixing blades reaches top of jar,
taking about 5-seconds more . The stick blender will turn the oil into
mayonnaise as it is pulled slowly to the top of the jar.

After chilling in the fridge, this mayonnaise gets slightly thicker and tastes
very much like Best Foods/Hellman's Mayonnaise.

Makes about 1 1/4 cups of mayonnaise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Miracle Whip emergency copycat

1 cup regular mayonnaise
2 or 3 teaspoons powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
dash of paprika
dash of garlic powder

For people that want to cut back on sugar, I've found you can substitute
1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of Stevia sweetener for the powdered sugar.

Mix well. Use in an emergency then hurry to the store to get more Miracle Whip.

I like reguar mayo and I also like Miracle Whip.
momof4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: FAIL PROOF! Reply with quote

Unsure Look!! ~FAIL PROOF~ I used 2 egg yolks in a large cereal bowl with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a tiny crummy whisk. I mixed with the whisk until the yolk and lemon juice became heading-toward-thick....then added a little bit of (olive) oil, perhaps 1 teaspoon. Whisk some more, til it is clearly on its way to getting thick looking. Then added another 2 teaspoons of oil, whisk some more til it becomes thick. Added a bit more oil, whisking all the while, and kept it up, slowly adding more, but NEVER MORE THAN 1-2 Tablespoons at a time. DO NOT ADD MORE OIL UNTIL THE PREVIOUS OIL IS ALL MIXED IN AND MIXTURE IS BECOMING THICKENED. Added a pinch of kosher salt. It was THICK and VERY YELLOW! The eggs were room temperature when we started, and were fresh farm eggs. Don't think that makes a difference, but it might. Especially if your kids want white mayo!

This was after trying all sorts of FAILED blender mayo recipes and Cuisinart food processor recipes. Only the little tiny crummy whisk actually worked. And I have weak wrists!

SO CLEARLY it's not the machines, the fancy whisk or the magic ingredients. It's just patience! Beat the egg yolk fairly briskly with the lemon juice, THEN SLOWLY start to incorporate SMALL (tiny) AMOUNTS of oil at a time! Don't add more until it's thick-ish. Add all your enhancements after you finish beating and it thickens as much as you like.

Good luck! (Sorry for the all caps, no italics!)
enewtonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Tip for Slow Oil Drip/Pour Reply with quote

Just tried this recipe after contemplating the super helpful comments that've come before mine. Thought it appropriate to reciprocate.

Make an Arm-Powered Slow Oil Dripper/Pourer
1. Poke a tiny hole in the lid of a cleaned out bottle or jar (I used the screw-top of a wine bottle; poked the hole with a Leatherman tool).
2. Add the measured amount of oil you need to the bottle, and screw the top on.
3. Tip the bottle to add the oil to your egg mixture as you whisk. Depending on the angle you tip the bottle, you'll get tiny drops or a thin stream -- both extremely helpful for adding the oil slowly.

I did the drip method for the first 1/2 cup of oil or so and finished with the thin pour. The slow drip, ingredients at room temperature, and a lot of arm-aching whisking resulted in a victorious 1st attempt at homemade mayo!

A previous comment with the idea of poking a hole in the foil of a brand-new bottle of oil made me think to do this. My problem was that I needed to know how much oil I had added. After making this recipe a few times, the hole in the foil method would work too as it gets easier to improvise.
Valerie Curtiss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Homemade Hellman's Reply with quote

Big smile After trying several of the mayo recipes that just tasted awful I tried "Antilope"s Homemade Hellmans, it was wonderful, worked great with the stick blender and from this point on I won't use anything else. I used Western Family Vegetable oil. The EVOO's were awful and the 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tsp of white vinegar eliminated that horrible sour taste from the other recipes. Good on You Antilope, liked the poem also! LOL I refuse to pay over 5 BUCKS for a jar of Hellman's/Best Food's mayo and that is the only one worth getting, but not at 5.00+++ a POP
Bon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: There IS a hole in my Cuisinart pusher for making mayo!! Reply with quote

This is in response to "Proud Daughter's" Sept., 2008 comment that her mother got a patent for her idea of putting a small hole in the pusher of a cuisinart mixer for dripping in the oil slowly in making mayonnaise. After reading this I ran into the kitchen to check and, sure enough, my pusher has a hole for dripping the oil slowly...what a great idea!

When I made my first batch of mayonnaise yesterday, using the "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook recipe, I wish I had known about this, it may have turned out better. I think I added the oil too quickly but it seems to have worked anyway. It was a bit too lemony and I also didn't like the mustard flavor. I used whey as a preservative, allowing the mayo stand at room temp 7 hrs before refrigerating it. This is supposed to inoculate it so it will keep for six months refrigerated.

Questions: Is there a way to make the mayo lighter/whiter in color and thicker?

and.......Is there a homemade version anywhere for Hellman's Mayo??
Diane B.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: stick blender method --video Reply with quote

I don't think anyone's posted a video link to someone actually doing the stick blender thing (immersion, wand blender).

I was quite heartened to see this short video with my own eyes on making mayo in 20 seconds, and will definitely start doing it if it works as easily as this looks:
...with quantities and instructions:
http://www.lastappetite.com/how-to-make-mayonnaise-in-20-seconds
...also at YouTube but no info:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53OCdAsvL8

Basically just dump all ingredients into a cylindrical container just wider than the wand blender's base, place blender's base inside container on the bottom, turn on blender and hold on bottom without moving about 15 seconds, then move it up and down just a bit. Done!

It also shows the method using a single egg, and since it's so quick would be easy to make up when needed (but will also keep awhile).

Think it should be okay to post his proportions:
...1 whole egg (unbeaten)
...200 ml oil (little over 7/8 cup?)
...1 T lemon juice
...pinch of salt
...2 t Dijon mustard

Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Diane, that's great. I've always wanted to try mayo since it's one of the few foods I just can't live without. (butter is a close second)

BTW. I've discovered just the container for MY stick wand:

newly redesigned Ovaltine jar.

The base is about 1" larger in diameter than the wand's and the curved top means nothing goes sloshing or spitting out when I power it up.
Diane B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to pass it on.

Have you tried your container yet? It's opaque, right?...is that a problem for knowing when to start moving it up and down a bit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: