Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Knife Parts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange to find myself disagreeing with Dilbert, but I'd prefer a smallish (7"?) butcher's knife over a santuko, and question the need for a slicer at all. I think I'd rather have a cleaver.

I keep my knives in a drawer laid out next to each other, with a double layer of corrugated cardboard at the back so the tips don't get whacked.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disagree? why mah goodness - could not no never thank any two folk could want to do that . . . (g)

an awful lot of one's preference is what happens in _your_ kitchen?

butcher / chef style more or less fills the same role - a heavy duty get at 'em. rock&chop til you drop....

I managed for many years without the santuko style - but I find the flatter blade shape just the cat's meow for veggie prep - slice - dice. other than "mass and bone smashing" methinks it does a good imitation of the Chinese cleaver! the 7" santuko "blade flat" is about the same as my 10" chef's - but it's a whole lot 'handier' to work with.

the slicer is good for roasts, melons - big soft things.... one can hack away at a pork roast with a mini-Swiss Army knife - but a 10" blade slicing a 4" roast makes for more pretty.

same with the bread knife - if one only ever has to address a baguette, those cute 8" bread knives are fine. pick up a 8 inch round Bauerbrot, ya' need something bigger than the fingernail Swiss Army size....

but it all comes down to how much of what one is doing. I rarely buy anything but a whole chicken - and I'm fond of bone in (other) meats - so I'm very partial to my boning knife. not everyone buys half a cow, so . . .
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant boning knife when I said butcher's -- don't know what I was thinking. Glad we can agree on that! I'd hate to bone a chicken with a chef's knife (though once you know how it's not that hard).

Still think a cleaver is a better choice than a slicer. Has multiple uses, so in my kitchen it gets used far more often. How are you giong to cut an acorn squash in half if you don't have a cleaver? It's also far more effective at scaring children out of the way than a slicer...

Joan
Christina, bring me the cleaver!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: