Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pan Frying with Stainless Steel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammertime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think keeping the stainless steel immaculately clean and polished improves the "STICK AND RELEASE" properties.

cleanliness will never do harm

--
http://www.wikigarrigue.info/wakka.php?wiki=TinySpyEarpiece Tiny Spy Earpiece Gadgets Help Students
http://www.maisondesabers.infini.fr/wakka.php?wiki=spyearpiece How to use spy earpiece effectively?

Last edited by Hammertime on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
newtostainless

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Can I make a suggestion? Reply with quote

kgb1001001 wrote:
This is actually a variant on the ionization method -- after you take the steaks out, add some chopped onions (maybe 1/4 cup) and a little salt (maybe 1/4 tsp). Stir and scrape vigorously with a wooden spatula as the onions start to sweat out their liquid. As they begin to turn really brown, add some white wine (a couple of tablespoons). Let that reduce down to a thick brown syrup with the onions. Ta daa! Not only have you cleaned most of the gunk our of your pan, you have a killer pan sauce to add to your steaks...

Cause if you think about it (a) The water and salt from the onions dissolved some of the gunk (called fond, which is culinary magic). (b) The vigorous scraping and stirring removed more, and (c) the Alcohol dissolved away even more of the gunk.

I just tried this tonight with some steaks and it worked fantastically! Here's what I did:

- pre-heated the pan at med-high heat
- added small amount of oil
- added steaks
- turned town to med heat and cooked steaks for 4min on each side

After this the steaks were really juicy with a brown crispy finish, and my pan had some brown stuff stuck in the bottom along with leftover some oil and fat. I followed the above instructions but added mushrooms:

- added chopped onions with salt
- added about a 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- waited for onions to brown while scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon
- added the white wine
- waited for liquid to reduce

This produced an amazing and flavourful sauce for the steaks, and my pan is basically clean! Thanks kgb1001001!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum