Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Origin of US Biscuits OR Dumplings - (teaystag - Gaelic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smillie - OzFire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: The Origin of US Biscuits OR Dumplings - (teaystag - Gaelic) Reply with quote

Origin of US Biscuits

Maybe some of the early settlers were from Scotland where they cook a dish with what they call dumplings (teaystag - Gaelic). It is served the same way as your Biscuits. But with much more variety, all cooks modify the taste of the dumplings to compliment the dish.

Dumplings or (teaystag - Gaelic)
Ingredients:
6 oz self raising flour
Salt and Pepper
3 oz shredded suet (Fat from around lamb kidneys) remove membranes and grate finely. or you may be able to find a pre made flour and suet mixture in the shops (how come it keeps on the shelf for years ????)... or substitute butter both are great, but suet is best. especially from mutton grown on salt flats near the sea. But us foodies get a little weird at times

Mix dry ingredients and suet, then the egg, mixing thoroughly with a knife. Little splash of chilled water to right consistency.
Divide mixture into small pieces,
roll into even rounds between floured hands.

Cook in boiling Stock or broth or alternatively steam them if you have the facilities... as I have.
for twenty to thirty minutes depending on the steamer.

Add to stew 20 minutes before stew is done brushed with butter.
It is assumed. they are in the oven for crisp tops or covered in a large pot for soft and fluffy dumplings.

Variations - and or -
- Add chopped bacon (left over dried out Parma is great)
- My favorite is a little crab and prawn meat with tarragon with a fish or chicken stew.
- big handful of Parmesan cheese
- Parsley or mint
- add Caraway or/and Anise seeds etcetera

This recipe is from an old Gaelic (Scottish) cook book from 1510.

Last edited by Smillie - OzFire on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing results, tried this last night for tea with the family around. I will never cook biscuits the same again. Everyone loved them. I used butter but I am looking for suet.
Thanks, great recipe
fwendy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumplings are cooked everywhere in the UK - I have never heard them called a Scottish speciality before!

In this country, suet tends to be made from beef fat, rather than lamb, but I imagine that reflects the dominance of sheep farming in Australia.

You can make a similar alternative by freezing a block of butter or lard then grating it from frozen, mixing in a light dusting of flour to keep the 'gratings' separate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum