Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Corn Fritters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: great corn fritter recipe Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for this recipe. Simple and tasty. Leftovers for breakfast. I read some of the other comments about problems: 1) the second batch gets darker than the first that's because the fat is much hotter, so you need to be aware of this, the corn can "pop" and 2) fritters falling apart: be gentle, drop them in spoonfuls, wait a while for them to set, and then flatten gently with a spatula. I find the use of 2 spatulas helpful when turning the fritters over. My engineer boyfriend hadn't had corn this style before and was won over. Smile
Carol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Corn Fritters Reply with quote

Another way to enjoy corn fritters (which my family and I have enjoyed for many years...I am in my early 70s): as a dessert !
We use less corn (canned or fresh-cooked), and serve the fritters as
a dessert with maple syrup, or a syrup of your choice. YUMMY !!!
I haven't tried it, but it seems to be the addition of a fruit (such as
blueberries, raspberries or bananas) would enhance the flavor yet again
for using corn fritters as a dessert. Hope someone tries this and posts
a response.
Robyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Cooking for Engineers Fritters Reply with quote

Cooking for Engineers is the best-ever idea for a recipe/cooking site. Most people do not understand when I tell them to 'explain it in numbers or percentages' (math, the universal language). I am soooo glad you have developed this EASY TO UNDERSTAND cooking website! Thank You!
grees

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Corn Fritters Reply with quote

Fun reading all the ideas, comments, problems and variations. Last evening we tried a couple of additional twists:
I used 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs + 1/2 cup flour;
In a non-stick frying pan I used just a little grape seed oil--
and cooked at a low flame setting with almost no splattering.
We had three ears of cooked corn left over from the previous day,
so a few quick cuts plus a few minutes of loosening the kernals gave us the base.
Next time I'll add some of the other suggested ingredients.
alexandrak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would add Hoisin sauce (or even duck sauce, oddly enough) to the soy sauce you made and ditch the sugar. Hoisin is great on everything.
Merv

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Additions Reply with quote

Diced (1/4") jalapeno to the fritters, and Maple syrup for the sweetener in the sauce.

Thanks for a great recipe!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Corn Fritters, Green Tomatoes and Eggplant to boot Reply with quote

I made my first batch of corn fritters when I was 8 years old - fresh corn, a bit of corn meal in the flour, sweetened egg whites, fried in lard, served with maple syrup. Never had them any other way till I was 40. I make them a dozen different ways from a dozen different recipes. How can you go wrong in August when the corn is so sweet and fresh? Lately I've been adding some smoked paprika, and serving them topped with avocado slices, hot salsa and sour cream. Heaven. And as long as the oil is hot and the cornmeal and flour are on the counter, why fry up some green tomatoes and eggplant slices? Peel and slice eggplant into 3/4" slices, salt on both sides and stand on edges in a colander. drain in sink for 20 mins. Pat dry, dip in beaten egg, then the same flour/cornmeal mixture. Fry in oil or fat that only comes half way up the slices (very important!). Turn with a slotted spoon. Do the green tomatoes the same, but lightly salt, set on a paper towel for a minute before you egg dip. Don't check your cholesterol! Life is well lived in the kitchen!!
Seovero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Indonesian corn fritters Reply with quote

Wow... What an interesting site you have here Big smile. I'm an engineer and fortunately also an Indonesian who lives in China. (I know what you guys are thinking...).

Just wanted to give a bit opinion on the recipe. Usually we Indonesian made the corn fritters a bit more complicated. Some adds chilli, Or chopped green onions, or chopped prawns, or sometimes even prawn paste (we call it "terasi udang" in Indonesian). And we deep friednit actually.

So do tell me if you make another test by adding some ingredients i proposed above! Big smile Good luck!
Moonrunner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Cast iron!!! Reply with quote

You can use a cast iron griddle for more volume, placed over 2 gas burners or just a large cast iron skillet. This will prevent a lot of splatter and will keep them uniform, making them easier to flip. A properly seasoned pan will be pretty non-stick. Just last night I made Gouda and ham omelette with a pretty new skillet (never used, just received a single seasoning in addition to what came from the factory). It flipped easily and it cleaned up quickly under hot water with just a brass scouring pad.
resepmasakan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Hi, I'm from Indonesia. In Indonesia it is called Bakwan Jagung. This recipe:

Ingredients Bakwan Corn Crispy and Delicious:

Salt to taste
Mineral water to taste
4 tablespoons flour
Taste celery, sliced
2 pieces of sweet corn, combed
Cooking oil
1 egg
1 leek, sliced

Corn Bakwan seasoning mashed:

1/2 teaspoon coriander
2 cloves of garlic
5 red onions

How to make Bakwan Corn Crispy and Delicious:

First mix the corn that is combed with celery and leeks into a container.
Then enter the seasoning ingredient puree and add salt to taste to the mixture in the container before.
Then enter the flour and 1 egg. Afterwards stir until everything is well blended.
Add water little by little, until the dough so it thickens.
Then fry the dough into a preheated oil, cook until done roughly the color is slightly golden brown. Bakwan corn ready to be served.

Btw, a good recipe. Thanks for sharing
Dhia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Some Addition for Corn Fritter's Sauce Reply with quote

Hello from Indonesia! What a surprise to see a Bakwan Jagung recipe in this site. Here in Indonesia, corn fritter is seldom enjoyed as a snack, more like side dish to your rice and full meal.

Some part in Indonesia call it Perkedel Jagung. And another kind of perkedel you can make is Perkedel Kentang, or mushed potato fritter. We enjoyed it usually with some clear soupy dish including vermicelli, tomatoes, carrot, inside.

I'd suggest you add some very small-chopped parsley in the dough, the taste works for me. If you want to enjoy it with soy sauce, put in some chopped small green chillies, shallots, and lemongrass, and a hint of lime juice, it might as well bring a fresh taste to balance the oily taste from the corn fritter.

If any of you are Indonesian, or going to Indonesia, this restaurant has THE BEST corn fritter, to my personal taste: Warung Bu Ageng. The article is in Indonesian, but the short info by the bottom of the article might help you to find the place. I found out that Mark Zuckerberg also visited this resto for lunch during his short visit to Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Thought that it'd be a good reference Wink

Anyway, thank you for sharing! Enjoy your Bakwan Jagung!
Dhia
LJInPA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: The best corn fritter recipe Reply with quote Delete this post

I’ve made these fritters many times and they’re always great. What I love most about this recipe is that it uses so little flour – when I was first trying to find a corn fritter recipe they all used a whole bunch of flour. These are light and you can taste the corn! I’m making them tonight as a matter of fact. 😁
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: