Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Rosemary Lamb Chops
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markj99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Lamb chops / grapeseed oil Reply with quote

I often find myself reading recipes here, and did again today while searching for other ways to cook lamb chops. I usually BBQ them, but I think I'm going to try this one tonight.

I wanted to add to the question/comment about "grapeseed oil". I'm sure it wasn't a typo, since grapeseed oil is wonderful for frying. It used to be next to impossible to find in markets in the California, but lately I'm seeing it more and more, and I think for good reason: It is GREAT for high heat cooking, such as searing meats, since it has a very high smoke point of 485F! I don't know of any other oil that can go that high, except for maybe motor oil. :-)

An although it doesn't have much flavor on it's own, that can be a good thing. It just does it's job of enhancing thermal transfer and lubrication, and otherwise stays out of the way.

Another big plus, in my book, is that it is oil derived from what would otherwise be a waste-product of wine and vinegar production. Because the seeds are often considered "trash", they can be obtained very cheaply, which may be the only reason it isn't otherwise prohibitively expensive, since it takes a huge number of seeds to get a pint of oil.

Thanks again for the recipe post!

BTW: If you successfully enter the confirmation code and then click 'preview', instead of 'submit', you have to enter another code when you actually submit. And on top of that, with the Mozilla Firefox browser, something is getting cached and neither the prior code nor the new challenge code works. So I had to back all the way out and re-enter my post. I don't know if it's a browser-specific problem, but figured you'd like to know about it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Grapeseed oil Reply with quote

Indeed, grapeseed is available and wonderful for no-smoke, neutral flavor saute. I sell a liter bottle in my winery tasting room for $11.00. Wish I could say we made it from our grapeseeds leftover after fermentation, but squeezing each of those seeds for the .5 ml oil it contains is too time consuming. I'll get my assistant winemaker on that project this crush. Most of the oil I have seen comes from Italy; ours end up as compost.
wheelbarrowman

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: lamb chops Reply with quote

ace post. I'm probably not the most 'analytical of cooks'.. But I'm planning on cooking this recipe but substituting goat for lamb.

I'll put a story up on my blog - http://charlieandrorysfood.blogspot.com/
Martin Dep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Can't stop mouth watering now Reply with quote

Love cooking for Engineers forum cuz I'm personally a computer engineer, I'm planning to join a gym this recipe truly suits my taste buds and my fitness.

Thanks

Martin dep

dailytrader.com
mtangel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Lambchops recipe Reply with quote

This was a stellar recipe! I get my lambchops from Costco, small meaty really thick ones. I loved that I only had to pick up the fresh rosemary! So easy, and the reduction was delicious! I made a couple of homemade frozen dinners out of the remainder. I also served a green salad, boiled tiny red potatoes, and steamed asparagus. GREAT meal!
SciencyCook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with mtangel! Not only am a lamb chop fanatic, but I love to use rosemary every chance I can get! Speaking of this recipe, I actually have lamb chops in my freezer. I think this is a sign that I should whip them out of the freezer and utilize this ultra tasty recipe. I'll be sure to take some pictures as soon as the recipe is complete. Thanks for posting! Big smile
txagsmom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Rosemary lamb chops Reply with quote

I wanted to introduce ginger into this recipe, so I made a hybrid of two different recipes. I used the ingredients from Chu's recipe (minus the ground pepper) and added 2 Tbs of Mackay's Spiced Ginger Preserves into the marinade/sauce ingredients. I marinated as directed, browned the chops in the olive oil and removed them to a shallow baking dish. I reduced the sauce as directed, poured it over the chops, and baked them at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes. Outstanding! I served the lamb with yellow rice and a mix of edamame and sugar snap peas, and paired it all with a pinot noir.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Rosemary Lovers Reply with quote

Thank you for the lovely recipe to try.
@Gary
Another lovely taste treat is to take your fresh rosemary stems (about the size of skewers) and thread marinated cubes of lamb, chicken, beef, fish or whole shelled prawns/shrimp alternated with marinated vegetables of your choice. We like mushrooms wrapped in bacon, onions, red bell peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes. For those of you who like rosemary but don't want the taste too strong, strip some of the leaves but leave the tip and enough leaves to flavor the kabob.
Bon Appétit!
HIprof

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Rosemary Lovers Reply with quote

The comment about the kabobs above was by me. I'll try to join the site.
Aloha!
Esty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Lamb Reply with quote

Can I keep this in a 140 degree oven if I'll need to make in advance? Or will this ruin the meat?
Thank you!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just a question of time . . .

perhaps 20-30 minutes wouldn't do too much harm.

3-4 hours could be a different issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: