Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Lemon Bars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Lemon Bars Reply with quote

[/b]The best lemon bars are made with fresh lemons instead of bottled lemon juice. It adds a fresher taste.
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I have ever made lemon bars. I must say your recipe is excellent and very easy to use. All I did was print out your graph and take it to the kitchen!! Wonderful! Thank You so much for this site. It has now became my favorite! Now off to try your praline Pecan recipe! Wink
bronzieBear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: no oven Reply with quote

i love lemon bars, but i don't have an oven.
this will be the first time i'll ever attempt to bake..
i'm about to try tour recipe using an oven toaster instead. hehehe.
any tips you might suggest?
thanks!
Dr. Polkatronic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Lemon Bars Reply with quote

Great recipe! The lemon bars were perfect except for one thing: the lemon curd tends to separate from the crust when served. Is there some trick to keep the lemon curd and the crust glued together?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: several engineering points Reply with quote

1) your lemon bar recipe is the first I've seen that contains milk. What's the purpose of the milk?

2) I think the purpose of the flour is to bind the lemon curd and give the texture a more bar-like substance. When I change the flour proportion, I get different texture.

3) In my neighborhood, we have many lemon trees, but a high percentage are meyer lemons. I hate seeing my friend's lemons go to waste, so I'm collecting different lemon dishes. Meyers have a lot of taste, but a very different acid level (lower). In general, I need to up the wet lemon percentage, but with lemon bars I get wet bars. Any suggestions of meyer lemon lemon bars?

4) the best lemon bars, IMHO, have a crust on top. I think I get that by vigorously beating the eggs (Joy of Cooking specifically says "lightly beaten").

Your recipe cards are great. I would love if your descriptions included more "why" because, as an engineer, I always modify the recipe every time I make it. More "why" means I'm more likely to get a positive modification.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: another great lemon bar recipe Reply with quote

Michael -- try the recipe from Joy of Cooking -- it's even easier than Baking Illustrated -- no need to make the curd ahead of time. The only modification I make is to reduce the number of eggs by one -- a little less eggy-tasting. BTW, made the garlic roasted potatoes tonight -- excellent!
poorlittlekid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: copyright on recipes Reply with quote

Recipes cannot be copyrighted. This is due to the fact that there are only so many ways to make most things, and many recipes truly are passed down, and can't be claimed by one person. A cookbook is copyrighted, therefore you cannot scan it onto your computer and post it on your website, but you can post the recipe itself. Many recipes on popular websites are from copyrighted books and magazines.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Recipes cannot be copyrighted.

depends on what you call a "recipe"

actual real live courts - judges and dudes that count - have repeatedly ruled a list of ingredients & quantities cannot be copyrighted.

the descriptions of how to use the ingredients, make the dish, change our socks, whatever, can be copyrighted.

compilation can be copyrighted. a collection a many lists can be copyrighted as a work, but the individual lists & quantities remain uncopyrightable.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On March 13, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Trouble (guest) said...
Subject: Lemon
Hey all,

My receipe for Spice Lemon requires to use all part of lemon skin which means white and yellow. Although I know white makes bitter taste, I have no choice. Can anyone give me suggestion to get rid of bitter taste any how?

According to Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking" (2nd ed, I believe) which I'm referring to from my own memory....

The bitter taste from the peel is a water soluble compound. This is why recipes for candied peel call for repeated simmering in fresh sugar syrup - not to increase the sugar content (you could use the old stuff for that) but to eliminate the bitter compound.

I don't know what "Lemon Spice" is exactly; why can't you omit the white? But you could try to soak the white pith in repeated washings of clean water to reduce the bitter compound.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: some questions Reply with quote

I really love the box concept you did for the recipe instructions. Very very innovative and I will be replicating that for all my recipes I think!

I have a few questions about the recipe (I'm fairly new to baking) -
1) I'm assuming this is true, but just in case, can these bars be frozen easily?
2) If the recipe was being cut in half, would most of the ingredients (those with the largest portions), be simply cut in half?
3) Are there any substitutes you could do to this recipe to make it a bit healthier? For example, whole wheat flour, brown sugar...

Thanks!!
Erica
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: some questions Reply with quote

guest wrote:

I have a few questions about the recipe (I'm fairly new to baking) -
1) I'm assuming this is true, but just in case, can these bars be frozen easily?
2) If the recipe was being cut in half, would most of the ingredients (those with the largest portions), be simply cut in half?
3) Are there any substitutes you could do to this recipe to make it a bit healthier? For example, whole wheat flour, brown sugar...

1. The bars can be frozen, but texture may be different when thawed.
2. You should be able to cut everything in half, then stick it in an 8x8 pan (which will make slightly thicker lemon bars). Baking time will probably not need to be altered - best to check doneness regularly to make sure.
3. You can make substitutes, but it won't be this recipe anymore. If you want to make this recipe healthier, just eat smaller portions and share it with more people. Free lemon bars is very conducive to making friends.
lovetobake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Freezing lemon bars Reply with quote

I have been making lemon bars from a recipe very similar to Cook's Illustrated (from "Rose's Christmas Book") since 1991 and I freeze them them all the time without loss of quality (up to about 6 weeks). In fact, if I am not going to eat them in a day or 2, I always freeze them as that keeps the shortbread crisp. They defrost in a matter of minutes if they are cut small. However, I usually wait to sprinkle the powdered sugar until they are out of the freezer. Otherwise, it seems to be absorbed into the curd and I have to redo it anyway.
Recipe Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Posted recipe - incorrect butter amount Reply with quote

This recipe is also in Cook's illustrated "The Best Recipe" and that recipe is the EXACT SAME, with the exception of the amount of unsalted butter. The Best Recipe list the butter at 12 Tablespoons (or 1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter.

Both recipes are from the same company (Cooks Illustrated), so please double check your original recipe. It could be the reason one reviewer said the shortbread was not as buttery as he/she anticipated or was used to.

I edit and test recipes, write them as well...so I notice these things easily.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Posted recipe - incorrect butter amount Reply with quote

Recipe Editor wrote:
This recipe is also in Cook's illustrated "The Best Recipe" and that recipe is the EXACT SAME, with the exception of the amount of unsalted butter. The Best Recipe list the butter at 12 Tablespoons (or 1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter.

What's really weird is that after this comment I went and double checked the recipe against The New Best Recipe and Baking Illustrated and the recipe I have posted doesn't match either book. Perhaps I got it from The Best Recipe (the book that preceded The New Best Recipe), but I no longer have a copy of that book.
Chichef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Lemon Bars uauuu Reply with quote

i love lemon bars and I loved the pictures are very intuitive. thank you

Santos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: