Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What coffee is your favorite?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
I tried roasting coffee several years ago. The end result was good tasting coffee, but the smell of coffee ROASTING isn't anything like the smell of ROASTED coffee. Until the coffee roasting cycle is completed, the smell in the house is more like that of wood being burned as it is cut with a dull, warped, out of round circular saw blade! No one was happy when I roasted my coffee. I hope you don't have the same problem.

I'm curious to know what you used to roast your coffee. I used a small, hot air type home coffee roaster which is a miniature version of what Whole Foods uses in their stores to roast their coffees. After the third time using it, I decided to roast the coffee in the bathroom, where I could close the door and open the window to let the smell out without letting all the air conditioned or heated air out of the house, depending on what the season was. I eventually stopped roasting my own.

Right now I am just using a popcorn maker....it actually works perfectly....I am with you as far as the smell goes....it kind of sucks right now cause it's winter here and I can't just open up the house...but what I have been doing it setting up on my stove with the fan on high and when a batch is done I am putting it in a bowl and placing it outside....that has helped out a lot actually....the first time I did it all you could smell in my house for days was the smell....but this method has helped out a lot.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am still new to this home roasting thing, but so far my favorite that I have roasted is Brazilian Poco Fundo....I haven't done that many yet, but of the 4 that I have, this has been the best.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your house starting to smell like a wood cutting plant yet? Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
Is your house starting to smell like a wood cutting plant yet? Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

LOL...a little bit....the smell actually only seems to hang around for a day or so....but I have liked this so much that I have on order a proper coffee roaster with an exhaust on the top that I can attach a hose to and pipe it outside pretty much....should be a little better!
YoKitty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the I-Roast which is, frankly, a lot like a hot air popcorn popper, except that it has timers and temperature regulators. Yes, it puts out a powerful smell when roasting, but we have a small front room which we can close off from the rest of the house, and we run a fan in the window while roasting the beans.

We get our coffee from Sweet Maria's (online).
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfairbairn wrote:
GaryProtein wrote:

LOL...a little bit....the smell actually only seems to hang around for a day or so....but I have liked this so much that I have on order a proper coffee roaster with an exhaust on the top that I can attach a hose to and pipe it outside pretty much....should be a little better!

Please keep us posted. I'd roast my own again if you find a solution to the stench and a good roaster. I'd also like to try those Java beans YoKitty recommended.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
gfairbairn wrote:
GaryProtein wrote:

Please keep us posted. I'd roast my own again if you find a solution to the stench and a good roaster. I'd also like to try those Java beans YoKitty recommended.

I will certainly let you know....the new coffee roaster should be at my house when I get home tonight and I need to roast my new beans tonight as well....
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have been using my new coffee roaster and have been using the duct attchment to run the exhaust outside.......the difference has been amazing. You still get a little bit of the roasting smell, but not NEARLY as much as I used to as I think most of this smell is in the smoke that comes during the second crack and all of that is being piped outside now.......added bonus is that my roaster has a cooling cycle as well.
mudpuppy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: roasting and Colombia Oporapa Reply with quote

The Hottop roaster roasts up a 1/2 lb. of really nice coffee. Best used in a covered area outside, as the smoke is a problem.

Has anyone tasted Colombia coffee from the Oporapa region of Huila? I am drinking that right now...smooth with a sweet flavor!

Ellen
stiffanbond

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite coffee is French Vanilla Delight. It has nice test and make mind fresh. I drink about 3 cups daily. It wake up me.
rachard1583

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taste can vary depending on how the coffee is brewed and the type of coffee beans used. If you want to control the flavor of your coffee, you may want to consider roasting your own coffee at home. This is a simple procedure that requires minimal equipment.

Roast coffee at home you will need a standard frying pan. The size of the pan varies depending on how many beans you are roasting.

Also, you will need dry, unroasted (green) beans that you can purchase from a coffee specialty store. Place the beans in the pan and turn your stovetop on to medium-high heat. As the beans roast you must turn them frequently to avoid burning them. Normal roasting time is approximately 15 minutes.
During the roasting process you will notice the beans changing color from light green/brown to a darker brown. In addition, a coffee aroma will be generated from the pan. It is very important that the beans be turned constantly as they roast. This preserves the beans' flavor and aroma.

When the beans have roasted for some time, you will notice that they will become greasy. This occurs as the natural oils within the beans are released during the roasting process. Once the oils appear on all the beans, the roasting process is concluded. At this point, if you prefer a stronger or more harsh coffee taste, continue to roast the beans an additional 5-7 minutes.

After the beans are roasted, remove them from the pan and place them on a plate that is covered with a paper towel or cloth. Placing the beans on a paper towel or cloth is necessary to remove some of the excess oils from the beans. Keep the beans on the plate until they are cool to the touch. Once cooled, you can ground them for use or move them to a storage container.
BostonChef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Espresso Reply with quote

I'm an espresso kinda gal... I love Arabic espresso that's already grounded up. Keeps me going for the whole day!
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuk,i hate coffee Big smile (It smells good though)
SciencyCook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely adore Dunkin Donuts coffee! It doesn't seem like the type that one would fawn over, but I think it's delicious. It has a nice strong flavor without being too bitter and the different flavors of coffee compliment this factor. Their french vanilla coffee is phenomenal and it's so tasty, you could get a kid to drink it. Of course, I don't condone children drinking anything caffeinated. Wink
deminmartin9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Favorite Foods Reply with quote

My favorite coffee is Nescafe brand.
---------------
Demin Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum