Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mirepoix questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tivelo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Mirepoix questions Reply with quote

Tonight I tried making some navy bean soup as I remember my mother made it. I wanted to go pretty simple so there would be less variables if it turned out bad.

Soaked beans 8 hours, rinsed and brought to a boil with fresh water.
Sauteed a large diced morepoix in butter, with a couple bay leaves, mustard powder, and pepper. added this to the beans.
Simmered for 1 and a half hours.
Pureed a portion of the soup to help thicken.
S&P to taste. Done.

Turned out pretty good. Except... the carrots and celery were a bit too soft. I'm thinking I want to add them closer to the end, but it would defeat the purpose of the mirepoix. I'm wondering if I should bag the mirepoix and puree it with some of the soup when I thicken it, then add veggies. Or would I be better off just using a veggie stock from the start and adding the carrots etc, towards the end?

Thanks for any help with this,
Tivelo
yocona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your idea to use vegetable stock is a good one, regardless of when you add the mire poix. I use stock in lieu of water for soup and beans whenever possible. Also, I like to sautee a little onion in the pot before adding the rinsed beans and cooking liquid.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mire poix certainly adds to the flavor - and a longer cooking time is useful.

in many cases, like the soup, you also want some identifiable texture - so I often add some 'fresh' later in the cooking time. most of the time you can 'just add more' but you can also hold back a portion of the original qty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum