Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maltodextrin Blues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest SW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Maltodextrin Intolerance Reply with quote

Michael Chu,
I recall recently looking at a package of Splenda brand and if I recall correctly, the only ingredient was maltodextrin or maybe sucralose. I apologize but I forget. I do recall that the ingredient was one or the other however.
Guest SW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Maltodextrin Intolerance Page Reply with quote

FYI, I did create a page on Facebook to discuss maltodextrin intolerance. I have been posting internet articles of information I find on it. The page is called Maltodextrin Intolerance Awareness.

I noticed when I was pregnant with my oldest in 1990 that I was reacting to perfume and fragrance, headaches and severe stiff necks. This is due to chemical allergy such as formaldehyde and other chemicals in perfumes. I found an article, posted on the Facebook page, about the dangers of maltodextrin. This doctor stated that the dangers are that it is made in a chemical process using acetone, formaldehyde, and other chemicals.

I recall that the chemicals used in coffee decaffeinating process, in flour and sugar bleaching, are of concern and causing reactions in some. I am of the opinion that it is POSSIBLE (I am definitely no doctor nor chemist) that the chemicals used to process the maltodextrin may be what is causing the problem.

I know I do not have allergy to corn, potato, nor wheat. I do not have celiac disease. My daughter and I have both been tested by our respective doctors for gluten intolerance, neither of us told the doctor about the other. We both tested negative. My daughter has a positive HLA-B27 blood factor and may or may not (don't ask) have a rheumatoid condition of Ankylosing Spondylitis. I am allegedly negative for HLA-B27 (and so is my husband- not possible- one of us must be for daughter to be or daughter is false positive or she's not our daughter....). I had a doctor once tell me he wanted me on a diet for salicylate allergy (have you seen the diet?? Add that to my maltodextrin free diet and I can't eat). In 1992, during 2nd pregnancy, I had nausea from my generic prenatal vitamin that a Pharmacist told me was probably a reaction to the (starch?) filler, resolved by changing to a brand name manufacturer.

I have lactose intolerance and a dairy allergy. I have an intolerance of yeast breads which is definately not a wheat allergy as I can eat crackers and cereals and tortillas. I was diagnosed with IBS in late high school but it resolved as I got older and improved my diet. My allergists are worthless and state there are no doctors in this area (Upstate NY) who deal with food allergies.

Also I read that maltodextrin is being used in the manufacture of high fructose corn syrup. The Chinese have quite a racket going here.

Do check out my Facebook page Maltodextrin Intolerance Awareness. I want to get more evidence and ammunition for medical professionals since they seem clueless at present.
Guest SW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
Check out this google search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=maltodextrin&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It appears that if you have a (I hate the word as a medical description, but I'll use it anyway) "normal" immune and endocrine system, maltodextrin poses no problem. BUT, if you have had allergic reactions to various foods, maltodextrin can cause problems because it can be manufactured from various different food sources which you may be allergic to.

Gary- That is what we are being told. However, this may or may not be the case. At this point in time we aren't sure. There are some of us who have extreme maltodextrin intolerance but do not have a known allergy or intolerance to the corn, potato, or wheat ingredients. There are ingredients used in maltodextrin manufacturing which may possibly be of concern to some of us. It does appear from reading this forum that most of us have other allergies and intolerances anyhow. Essentially the problem is stupid &/or uninformed doctors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: sick Reply with quote

[quote="GaryProtein"]
Guest wrote:
cookaholic55 wrote:
. . . .And Splenda? That should be outlawed, yet it's even in BABY food. It's made from sugar...and CHLORINE.

So is table salt!

Artificial sweeteners will do less damage to your body than sugar.

As with most things, some degree of moderation is the key.

This is true Gary but those of us who are experiencing maltodextrin intolerance GI symptoms are not speaking of excessive amounts. In fact, I am talking about a very small amount in my case- I foolishly ate 3 bulk candied pineapple pieces the other day and was in distress the rest of the day with extreme flatulence and diarrhea and angry belly. Moderation isn't possible here. Total avoidance is 100% necessary for some of us. Our quality of life is right down the tubes. We can't eat what normal people can, we can't go out, we can't partake at parties or be invited to the homes of friends and family to eat. We are worse than diabetic, worse than those with a peanut allergy (to some degree).

I've said it before, that if I, or any of us with this intolerance are institutionalized, a hospital or VA, jail, nursing home .... because of the newness of maltodextrin this is just the tip of the iceberg but what about kids going to college who may be intolerant - they can't join the military. It is good that this is not common at present, but also know that since the information being spread is incorrect, few people know they are intolerant yet. I think you are going to find more and more people coming forward with the extreme GI intolerance I and others have.
KeepItFresh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Maltodextrin Intolerance Page Reply with quote

Guest SW wrote:
FYI, I did create a page on Facebook to discuss maltodextrin intolerance.

I am now registered on Cooking for Engineers.

Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Maltodextrin Intolerance Reply with quote

Guest SW wrote:
Michael Chu,
I recall recently looking at a package of Splenda brand and if I recall correctly, the only ingredient was maltodextrin or maybe sucralose. I apologize but I forget. I do recall that the ingredient was one or the other however.

Splenda = sucralose
sucralose != maltodextrin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Maltodextrin Intolerance Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Guest SW wrote:
Michael Chu,

Splenda = sucralose
sucralose != maltodextrin

I am aware of this. However I found an article even this morning that states that Splenda brand is made of sucralose and maltodextrin, the only two ingredients.
Dude111

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookNewb wrote:
So maltodextrin is bad for you because of the glutamate in it or because its corn derived?
I just bought some "instant ice tea" with maltodextrin in it. After reading this thread I am a bit concerned.

I used to love LIPTON ICED TEA (Regular) for 30 years!!

All of a sudden last year THEY PUT MALTODEXTRIN IN IT AND IT TASTES LIKE CRAP!!

I love how these companies try to LIE to the public by putting "SAME GREAT TASTE" on the can when the taste is nowhere near the same!!

I have no clue as to why they are adding this crap TO THIER NON-DIET ICED TEA!!!!!!

I am trying to talk to them about this and they email me saying "Maltodextrin has always been in our mixs" -- NOT IN THE REG-LEMON IT HASNT!! -- I have enjoyed it for 30 years!!!

I am now trying to find another iced tea THAT WAS AS GOOD AS THIERS but i havent found one........

Why cant people leave GOOD THINGS alone?

Last edited by Dude111 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: This is a MUST Reply with quote

PLEASE, visit the included website.
CLICK on every available link to find answers to all your questions.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/

I also recommend a book: "Excitotoxins: TheTaste That Kills" by Dr. Russell Blaylock.

IT SIMPLY SAVED MY LIFE!!!
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Marta,your site look interesting!!

Why not finish your journey and come ashore,you'll be glad ya did Smile
JP Madren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Maltodextrin and others that cause migraine headaches Reply with quote

I am 54 years old and until 1998 (when I was 42) I could eat anything I wanted with no ill effects. Within a few months time I started having migraine headaches that would pretty much incompasitate me. My eyes hurt as though someone was welding in front of them and I didn't have a shield to protect my eyes, etc. felt like the optic nerve was being squeezed.
After many years of living with this and its continually getting worse with less amounts of the following taken to ingest and cause the headaches I have narrowed down the following as my culprits:
Red # 40, FD &C #6 Yellow, Maltodextrin, Carmel coloring, artificial flavors: apple, grape, orange, strawberry, lemon and lime also bananas, aspartame, splenda, and saccaharin, chocolate, caffeine ... and also the wax that is sprayed into metal cans to prevent aluminum contamination. So I can drink 7-up - but only if out of a bottle and until recently when Sierra mist became all natural - 7-up was all I could drink from a machine.
Try to go to a store and shop for me or go out to eat and not have to suffer royally for doing so, and you'll see that my wife and I have a never ending struggle. For an example: I had to look thru 7 brands of turnip greens to find just one without maltodextrin. What's the incentive of all these companies to put this in dang near everything now ???
Turnip greens don't need anything added an neither do most everything else that for some reason has started adding this - again--- how does it benefit them? It's making life almost unbearable at times for me, and after reading this blog at least I see that I am not alone. I'm headache free now but only because I know the ingredients for everything I eat. One other wierd thing ... sugar don't bother me -BUT, if I bring anything to a rolling boil that has sugar in it (cauing it to carmelize) sugar itself will cause a migraine ... go figure.
Dude111

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry your having issues....

Aspertame is the worst on your list!! (Although many dont believe its bad @ all (Brainwashed by MSM))
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude111 wrote:
I used to love LIPTON ICED TEA (Regular) for 30 years!!

All of a sudden last year THEY PUT MALTODEXTRIN IN IT AND IT TASTES LIKE CRAP!!

I love how these companies try to LIE to the public by putting "SAME GREAT TASTE" on the can when the taste is nowhere near the same!!

I have no clue as to why they are adding this crap TO THIER NON-DIET ICED TEA!!!!!!

Yea that does seem a bit crazy, isnt LIPTON sweetend with sugar??

They have diet and reg iced tea... The REG TEA should not need Maltodextrin as it has reg sugar in it and hasnt ever been low carolie (I believe its 70 carolies if im not mistaken)

Maltodextrin can be used as an addiction agent, it can cause you to become HOOKED on whatever product it is in while the added flavour goes un-noticed..

I wish you luck with this quest, i know how frusterating it is when stupid things are done FOR SEEMINGLY NO REASON.....
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to email these idiots again about this AND I WAS QUITE NICE ABOUT IT!!!!!

I begged them to sell me some reg INSTANT ICED TEA off thier website as it doesnt list MALTODEXTRIN in the ingredients on thier site!

http://www.liptont.com/our_products/tea_mix/mix_sweet_lemon.aspx

They email me back a few days ago and said "We do alot of marketing to see what works the best" or some crap like that!!

YOU GONNA TELL ME SOMEONE TOLD THEM THEY SHOULD TRASH THIER ICE TEA BY ADDING THIS GARBAGE!! (Even thier UNSWEETEND iced tea has this crap now!!) For 30 years i loved this stuff AND IT WAS FINE!!!!!!!!!!

I asked them again if i could order some from them WITH NO MALTODEXTIRN as on thier site,it isnt listed.......

I havent been able to find anyone that has an iced tea mix as good as thiers was AND IT DISGUSTS ME!!!!!!!! (The saddest part about this is: THEY HAD NO REASON TO DO THIS,IT WAS FINE THE WAY IT WAS 20+ YEARS!!)
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just brew Lipton Tea and add sugar and lemon juice to your liking? It takes a few tries to get it right, but just write down the amounts and brew a batch every once in a while. About once a week, I brew 3 liters of tea, dissolve sugar and honey into it as it cools, and then chill once it reaches room temperature. Their tea leaves don't have maltodextrin in them (yet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum