Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Creme Brulee (Crème Brûlée)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using zest, which in my opinion detracts from the texture of the custard, I like to add the entire peel of a lemon and orange while the custard is cooking, then remove when removing the vanilla pod. This achieves a very delicate citrus flavor as an undercurrent to the vanilla.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sprinkle a little bit of ground cinnamon on the top after the torching and it gives it a nice flavor. BTW great recipe, everyone that that has tasted it has loved it. Thanks

you said that you should never use liquid vanilla extract. Well, that's all I have. Will it still taste ok? Also, I can't let it sit for however long you said to let it sit. Is like four hours enough?
Michael Chu

re: vanilla extract

Well, in my recipe, I use vanilla extract - but as one anonymous poster commented, it will not be as clear of a vanilla flavor as compared to using real vanilla. Tasting the two side by side will definitely show the difference, but if you don't have vanilla beans around then, by all means, use extract. (Whatever you do, don't leave the vanilla out...)

re: refrigeration time

Four hours is a bit short, but if that's all the time you can give it, then give it a try. Usually, I make the creme brulee at least a day in advance, so refrigeration time is not a difficulty.
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your use of recipe cards, however, it would be nice to see some more culinary specifics when describings steps. Somes terms that can be used for this recipe are:

Whisk
Scald

What program did you use to make the recipe card? I think it's brilliant.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: recipe cards

The recipe summaries are currently hand-coded in html.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a problem with their hardware store torch not working upside down? My doesn't and I can't very well hold my creme brulee upright.

There is one more option for creme brulee that may be of some interest. Although difficult to find, a creme brulee iron is the traditional way to caramelize the topping, as the recipe dates back before the invention of ovens with broiler settings (not BBQ, wanted to clear that up) or butane torches. A creme brulee iron is simply an iron disk with a long handle that is heated in a fire or boiling water then applied directly to the granulated sugar. Just a bit of archaic curiosity.
Michael Chu

re: traditional methods to caramelize

The traditional creme brulee iron is called a salamander.

reg: real vanilla vs extract

In all my travels I've noticed that the top hotels use the real vanilla and the difference is incredibly better. Any suggestions on where to get the beans inexpensively as the cost is ussually $20 on up here in CA. for only about 4 pods.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a problem with their hardware store torch not working upside down? My doesn't and I can't very well hold my creme brulee upright.

I find that if the propane tank is very full, the torch will work upside down. Otherwise I hold the ramekin up in an oven mitt.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all my travels I've noticed that the top hotels use the real vanilla and the difference is incredibly better. Any suggestions on where to get the beans inexpensively as the cost is ussually $20 on up here in CA. for only about 4 pods.

A good reliable source for vanilla beans is Vanilla-Saffron Imports, in San Francisco.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will a couple of hours in the freezer do?
innaphog

I like my creme brulee warm...or at least room temperature. When I am served it at good restaurants, it comes to the table just out of the broiler. The carmel is crusty (and about a third of the creme is warmish. Very nice. Since I live in France I think the idea is not heretical.

Other: vanilla is not the only flavoring used. In fact, one very nice variation is to set on one dessert plate three ramekins with the different flavors. Ginger is nice, green tea, cinnamon, herbs (basil is amazing). You are only limited by your imagination. Just infuse the milk with the flavor of choice.

If you don't have a torch on hand you can use your broiler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: