Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calphalon hard anodized pans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4evermin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
MeganAmyH wrote:

My co-workers love the stuff. Me, thanks, I'll still stick to my stainless steel.

Stainless steel cookware is a great choice for safe cooking. Many kinds of cookware react with the foods, either changing the taste of the food or even releasing harmful materials into the food that can cause imbalances o diseases. Many non-stick coatings like Teflon are safe – but once they get scratched or overhead they can start to leak chemicals in the food that are according to some scientific studies dangerous and possibly carcinogenic.

Right.
Stainless Steel Cookware is “relatively” safe to use; however there are different grades and qualities. This means all “mixes” of stainless steel are not the same. Stainless steel is a mixture of Nickel, Iron, Chromium, Molybdenum and even titanium… to qualify as “stainless” the mix must contain 11% chromium. Stainless steel does not conduct heat evenly so you’ll usually find it mixed with an Aluminum bottom in cheaper cookware like the Mirro Brand and copper in more expensive cookware.

Last edited by 4evermin on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I suppose a fork and spit over an open flame would be safest?

"The toxins are killing me! The toxins are killing me!"

Whiney-assed Bay Area liberal unthinking idiots.
uprblk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Calphalon Reply with quote

Responding to the last person...you're typical for your breed.

Responding to Hard anodized Calphalon..it doesn't work well for me.
Used it for two years and tried every trick to cook without sticking foods to the bottom of the pans. Barkeepers friend is great, low to medium heat, great..stuck eggs following all the rules, not great. New set of SS on it's way.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my commercial grade hard anodized for over 15 years and never a scratch. I just purchased two pieces this weekend at a Calphalon outlet stoe. New sizes the others should last forever. I have even left a pot on an eye for several hours (by mistake) and burned everything up. The goop came right off. Calphalon even promised to replace the pan if it did not cleanup even though it was my fault. And that was over 10 years ago. Check the web site for places to purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: calphalon have a nonstick coating Reply with quote

The difference between Calphalon commercial and regular is the nonstick coating. The connercial is just hard anodized aluminum and they say you can use any utensil on it. All the other celphalon pans and most other anodized aluminum pans have an additional nonstick coating. They tell you only to use wood or plastic utensils, no metal, because the nonstick surface will scratch. Check the website, only the commercial pans do not contain a nonstick coating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: heating the nonstick (teflon) Calphlon pan Reply with quote

Of course, never heat an empty (no load) pan. From William Gunnar

I just purchased a 10" and 12" Calphlon set of pans (teflon not AA) and the instructions said specifically to heat the pan to the intended temperature before adding oil, butter, or food. (They also said not to heat the pan to a hotter temperature and then reduce the heat.) I was REALLY surprised at these instructions as I would have thought that the pan should not be heated empty.

In your experience with the different nonstick coatings, is this a standard practice? thanks!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>experience with the different nonstick coatings,

Teflon is best.
well seasoned cast iron is 99.6% of Teflon.

Teflon - brown, gray, super-duper, el cheapo, "miracle coating" - PTFE regardless of marketing hype.... does not last forever. few months to 2-3 years depending on frequency / terms of use.

there are four known "non-sticks"
cast iron
Teflon aka PTFE
polyesters
mystic, undefined, unspecified - but _wait there's more_

"hard" anodized is not a valid descriptor for "non-stick"
go Google "anodized" - it is technically meaningless regards non-stick

Teflon heated beyond 450<something> F does degrade.
on a (new) over heated pan it'll out gas fumes that'll kill your pet bird.
after a couple over heatings, hardly matters but then again, tain't non-stick no more.

I have copper/stainless clad, cast iron - I routinely blast them up to smoking temps before starting anything.

so, "the pan should not be heated empty" needs some qualifiers.
type of pan, for openers.
adm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: anodized cookware - calphalon .v.s all clad LTD Reply with quote

I have tried Calphalon's older commerical all anodized cookware and the newer Calphalon Unison. Both made in the USA. I also have All Clad original LTD made in the USA.
The original Calphalon for me was horrible in that the actual grey exterior anodized surface would scratch- nothing for Bar Keepers Friend to remove, and also discolor very easily.
These on the original commerical grade Calphalon, were genuine scratches where the anodization was actually removed when the pan contacted another utensil. The interior was tricky in that food would react easily as compared to a well seasoned cast iron from Lodge.
The newer generation of Calphanon Unison does have non stick interior, but the anodized exterior still discolors easily and does not come clean. It is grey in color like that of the original.
That said, I have many pieces of the original All Clad LTD where the interior is SS and the anodized exterior is jet black as compared to Calphalon's grey.
When the exterior becomes scratched from contacting another utensil, it remedies easily with Bar Keepers Friend and retains most of it's beauty as when I purchased it.
Anodized aluminum is harder than SS according to All Clad. The possible explanation to the difference between All Clad and Calphalon's anodized aluminum is perhaps in the metals used for the base aluminum.
One item of All Clad that I have tried and do not like is MC2. The aluminum alloy exterior is horrible to keep clean and you cannot use Bar Keepers Friend on it and it scratches are worse than SS.
guest speaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:23 am    Post subject: Calphalon hard anodized pans Reply with quote

I have an older (80s-90s) Calphalon anodized pan. It is NOT nonstick, it's a heavy, thick pan, commercial grade per looking online. It's had a few mishaps over the years by being left on burner, with burnt food sticking to the pan. Last burn event cleaning scrapped off most of the dark grey surface leaving mostly silvery grey on the bottom of pan. Is this pan still safe to cook with? Or should I toss it? Sadly my PhD Chemistry dad has passed away or I'd ask his opinion!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the base of the pan is most probably aluminum.
the "aluminum causes Alzheimers" thing has been thoroughly debunked -
so if the pan still suites your needs, cook away!

I have a 2000's era Calphalon with the grey finish - it's scratched up and the shape is such it's generally not worth using - but it is "safe"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum