Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shipping cutlery cross-country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Shipping cutlery cross-country Reply with quote

I'm going to be moving from California to Louisiana, and, while I'm getting rid of a lot of my stuff, like my pots and pans, my cutting board, my car, et cetera, I am NOT going to get new knives! I seriously doubt it would be easy to get the brand of cutlery I use (Kiwi brand), and I am not getting cheapie Wal-Mart knives... *shudder* Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to make the shipping easy, especially since I'm flying down there and I doubt the TSA would be happy with me bringing them in my luggage...
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping knives is pretty easy (just box them up and ship with UPS or FedEx), but I think you're asking about taking them onto the plane with you. In that case, simply pack them safely - use knife covers or make your own by folding thick paper (like a magazine cover) over and over the blade to make a sheath - and place them in your luggage to be CHECKED. Simply declare them when you check your bag and they'll make it there safe and sound. Do not try to bring them on the plane with you with your carryon luggage or they will send you back out to the ticket agent to check your bag.
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that can work. I just don't want them to knock around and get damaged. That was mostly the advice I was wanting. I was mainly talking about shipping them via FedEx, since I don't want to risk taking them on the plane.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirpaul484 wrote:
I suppose that can work. I just don't want them to knock around and get damaged. That was mostly the advice I was wanting. I was mainly talking about shipping them via FedEx, since I don't want to risk taking them on the plane.

When I moved cross country, I packed my "nice" knives in a knife bags with Forschner Edge-Mag edge guards in place (and a couple in BladeSafes. For the rest of the knives, I made sleeves for the blades by folding heavy paper around the blade and then folding the excess paper at the tip a couple of times back and forth to form an extra thick tip to protect the knife tip. Then I taped the paper so it wouldn't unravel (without sticking tape to the knife. To hold the paper in place (so it wouldn't slide off the knife away from the handle), I took a strip of paper and taped it to one side of the blade sleeve, looped it around the base of the handle tightly, and taped the other end to the other end of the sleeve. These were then placed in a box with a either stuffed with old T-shirts or crumpled newspaper for padding so it wouldn't shift during transit.
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have knife sheathes, you could also wrap (roll and tape) each knife individually in several pages of newspaper to protect each blade and prevent them from touching or cutting each other.
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I was thinking of doing anyways. I was mainly concerned that maybe there's laws against shipping knives by post. I'm glad there isn't, though.
shattered

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a package courier? This is the easiest thing to have with you your pots, pans, knife, etc..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum