Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cheesecake, Plain New York Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thejupitercat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: halving the recipe Reply with quote

Hello,
I would like to make this cheesecake, but would like to half the recipe. I have an 8-inch spring-form pan; should I use this? Or would a different size work better?

Also, all my spring-form pans are dark non-stick. Is there a limit to how high temperatures these types of pans can go?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a seven inch diameter would be closer to "half" the volume - so the eight inch will be a bit thinner / not as 'deep' -

if you go with 8" you'll need more than half the crust - 10" is 78+ sq inches, 8" 50 sq inches.

also be aware it will bake faster - so keep an eye on on it - do not go blindly by a timer.

the black non-stick pans will handle any temp your oven can generate (well, except for the self-cleaning cycle, if you've got that...)
cara_mia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Measuring pan size? Reply with quote

I have a set of 3 springform pans that may have come from a garage sale. Who knows - but I don't know what sizes they are. I measured the inside diameter and used the pan that measured 10". But when I filled the pan with the filling, it came to about 3/4" from the top. The pans are 2-3/4" high inside. Are my pans simply taller than the ones used in the photos? Or did I measure the diameter incorrectly?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring pan size? Reply with quote

cara_mia wrote:
The pans are 2-3/4" high inside. Are my pans simply taller than the ones used in the photos?

I think your pans are just taller. The one in the photo is 2-in from base plate to rim (2.5-in if you measure the width of the band from the outside).
Jeanie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

My MIL and I were going to use your recipe to bake my first ever cheese cake, but she forgot to buy the heavy cream. However, we omitted the heavy cream and used a recipe almost identical (except for the cream) and used your cook times and tips/tricks.

After 45 minutes into baking it cracked a little on a 1/4 of the cake, about 4 to 5 inches from the edge. I didn't realize until I took it out to run a knife around the edge that I forgot to grease the sides!! I am staying optimistic that that is the reason it cracked. Either way your cook times are on point.

I have a question. I was reading that a good time to take it out is when a portion of the center hasn't domed yet. Only three or so inches from the edges had domed by the time I took it out at 1 hr and 35 minutes. The thermometer literally crawled from 120 to 150. Should I have left it in for the extra 5 minutes?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same ingredients I've been using for 20 years. Incredible goodness in every bite. I'm at home today baking 3 of these for a friends wedding tomorrow. The second one is in the oven cooling for a couple hours. Here's the deal! Every one of these I've ever baked (LOTS) has cracked but one. That one I made for my daughters birthday and it was perfect. It was a wonderful thing. The funny thing, now, is that my Golden Retriever ate about a third of it before it was even cool. I have no idea why it didn't crack. I built it the same way as all the others. This morning while the first one was in the over I drove to Ace and purchased a $15.00 digital thermometer. The first cake I took out at 152 degrees. After cooling it had very slight cracks. The second one I waited till it got to 155 degrees. This one looks the same. Very small cracks. One of the best as far as cracks go. Bad dog. No cheesecake! The third has yet to be started. I'm going to push it to 157 degrees. This is after only the first 10 min. at 500 and 60 min at 200 degrees. Not sure how I could keep it in the over for another 40 min. without it being over cooked. My original recipe came from a great book "The Joy of Cheesecake" and they call it "The Heavy One". They recommend cooking for 15 min at 450 degrees and then 60 min. at 200. I like this one better. Anyway, the cracks have Never affected the taste at all. I really like the digital thermometer idea. Thanks for a great site. I enjoy the layout at the bottom for directions. This cheesecake is the absolute best ever. When I was a kid 50 years ago my sister and I use to get excited when my mom would buy one of those frozen things. I think they were made by Sarah Lee. Wow, I wouldn't get near one of those things now. Silly Kids!
nikken007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: using thermometer Reply with quote

The times when I've used thermometer in the cheesecake it cracks where the thermometer went in. Is the thermometer the cause of the crack or would it have cracked anyway. I'd like to try it again but I am nervous about cracking.

Thanks.
subzero008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Crust Reply with quote

Um, I have created a couple cheesecakes before, and I am not sure what the texture of the crust is supposed to be like. Crunchy or soggy? Also, Alton Brown recommends using a 3 inch thick cake pan instead. Do you have any suggestions?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the crust should not be soggy -

"crunchy" is a good description - but not so hard as to be "crisp"

>>inch thick cake pan instead.
a pan three inches deep?
or is the question
cake pan vs spring form?
ThePoison1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Great cheescake,,, Reply with quote

I have made SEVERAL of these for the last 2 years,,, here is what I have learned/experienced, and hope it helps.

#1) Have ALL ingredients at room temp before starting.
#2) I use a "water bath" for my cheesecake, and the only 1 that ever broke/split on me was my very first one that I did NOT use a water bath for,,, hmmm.
*** I take a LARGE broiler pan, like the one you use to cook a turkey in, and fill it full of hot water.
Then I put it on the bottom shelf inside my oven, and let it reach the 500 degree temperature.
Then I take the ready to bake/prepared cheesecake and put in on the baking sheet and on the middle shelf in the oven.
DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR ONCE YOU BEGIN BAKING, AND DO NOT REMOVE THE WATER BATH FROM THE OVEN UNTIL THE 1 HOUR 40 MINUTE COOKING TIME HAS FINISHED.
N/A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Springform Reply with quote

I just wanted to know what brand spring form you used? Is it stainless steel?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crust:-Ingredients and Directions
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

First set oven at 350° grease a spring form pan (10 inch pan 3 inches deep) blend graham crackers melted Butter and sugar then press firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes-remove from oven and cool-Raise temperature to 425°
Cake-Ingredients and Directions
3 lbs cream cheese2
¾ cup of granulated sugar
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
6 eggs
6 egg yolks
¾ cup light cream
1 lemon rind grated
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ teaspoon of vanilla
In a large deep bowl cream cheese until smooth, add sugar, cornstarch and salt mix until smooth. Gradually add the eggs and egg yolks (2 at a time) mixing well and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition. Stir in the remaining ingredients And blend to a smooth batter. Pour filling into prepared pan and place this in a larger pan filled with water to the depth of approximately 1 inch. Bake at 425° for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool while reducing oven temperature To 325° when the oven has cooled down return cake to cooled oven and add more cold water to the pan, let bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until point of knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and chill in pan for about 2 hours before removing sides of pan –then chill.
KKeys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: mm first cheesecake Reply with quote

I am totally psyched to have found your recipe. I am in Germany and want to show my friends what NY style cheesecake is like. German Kasekuchen is wonderful, but worlds apart from the rich cheesecake we in the US know and love. So, like everything from Chicago deep dish style pizza to chocolate chip cookies, I have to learn how to make it myself. I never baked or cooked much in the US, but it is sooo fun!

The cake is cooling now, and apart from having a really brown crust and reaching an internal temperature of 185, all seems well with no cracking so far. I did use a walnut crust from another recipe, and I will post more details if it turns out well. Pecans would be better, but the nut selection at my local supermarket varies.
Reid2l

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: perfectly divine Reply with quote

I have a convection oven with convential option so debated long and hard, but ultimately went with the convetional setting. I also debated using 5 eggs vs 6 because i like a more cake-like consistency, but was not sure this would achieve desired consistency. But again i decided to follow the recipe. Used my braun food processeor with whipping attach to blend everything. The only difference I made is I substituted the lemon juice for one tbsp lemon zest. I cooked at 260 C for 12 minutes then reduced to 93 C for 1h40m. Reached internal temp of 166 F, removed from oven onto cooling rack for 10 minutes then edged around w/knife to loosen from pan. So far no cracks. Placed a bowl over top, took a nap for 2 hours, then removed bowl, wrapped pan in saran, and fridged for 6 hours. No cracks. Stuck 17 candles in it for my son, topped with sliced fresh strawberries, and had a wonderfully divine dessert. Made a nice addition to brunch the next morning Wink. LOVE your site, and can't wait to decide what to cook next. Would love to see your take on crab cakes Wink
Cheesecake joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Sorry, you got this one wrong! Reply with quote

Baking for a full ten minutes was a huge mistake, burned the cheesecake top, followed directions to a T, have been making cheesecakes for a while, not great advice. Sorry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: