Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Macaroni and Cheese Bake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
just1103

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Absolutely delicious. Reply with quote

Wonderful! This recipe was great, best MnC I've ever eaten, and got rave reviews from all my guests. Truly a keeper of a recipe. I subbed italian bread crumbs for the bread, which was easier and tasted delicious. I think I used around 1.5C, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Missing Ingredients Reply with quote

If you are cooking for children, you need two additional ingredients: Yellow #5 and Yellow #6. To them, it just isn't mac 'n cheese unless it's the same color as the Agent Orange that comes in the Kraft box.

I tried the recipe substituting some leftover Fontina for American Cheese. I just couldn't bring myself to buying American Cheese. I did not have the right food coloring (and I didn't think that the kids would go for the leftover blue). My seven year old was VERY disappointed to find she liked it almost as much as the Kraft Krap. My four year old wouldn't touch at all. The adults, for whom flavor and texture actually mean something, though it was great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Best Mac and Cheese ever. Reply with quote

Michael,

Thanks for posting this. I've tried a few of the recipes you've posted and have yet to be disappointed. This was excellent.
nickfortis@sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Mac&Cheese Reply with quote

OK stuff; nicely received by guests. Followed recipe to the letter.
Next time will sub for the American (had to use Kraft's slices. Lordy.)
Definitely a "repeat".

Nick F. Los Altos Ca
Spudmunkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: American cheese Reply with quote

Actually, "American Cheese" had it's place. It melts much smoother than, say, cheddar, and it doesn't get oily and separate when melted.

The Land O Lakes American cheese you get at a Deli counter is WAAAAAAAY better than Kraft slices. Doesn't even compare. I usually use saltines for the crust. Some mustard powder and chili flakes are great in it.
partuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: website Reply with quote

You have a really great website! I love all I've seen.......time is running away from me, so I will be back another time to check out the rest! Thanks for the wonderful recipes! I believe its no good being "skinny" if you don't enjoy your food. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: In regards to 'American' Cheese Reply with quote

I've always heard it got it's name from the way it was made to melt onto burgers and such... I could be wrong though, it's processed to no end, but unlike real cheeses it doesn't really drip off the burger it keeps together and more efficiently coats it.
Jen N

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: YAY!! Reply with quote

Wonderful recipe! Sauce is gooy with cheese, and is smooth. I too am seriously picky about my macaroni and cheese, so much so that I've never made a recipe twice. The search is over, this one is a winner! The only thing I didn't add was the hot sauce, I didn't have any so I used Cayenne pepper. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka!!! Finally, the PERFECT mac and cheese! And fairly easy to make. We made this to go along with cold Alaskin king crab legs, roasted veggies and a green salad. Adults and kids gobbled this up. It's everything you want in mac and cheese; Creamy, cheesey (but not overwhelming) rich and oh so delicious. I've tried countless others but this recipe hit it out of the park!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: It was good! Reply with quote

But if I make it again I will add about half the nutmeg...I found the nutmeg taste to be a little stronger than I would have liked it to be. I also doubled the topping and still didn't have enough to cover the entire pan. I would triple the topping if I were to make it again. Yummy though!

Michelle Sawicki
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: WONDERFUL Reply with quote

I made this recipe and it WAS SO DELICIOUS. I was genuininely surpirsed that someting I made came out so good (because I'm not that successful of a cook).

I used low fat, evaporated milk - White american, extra sharp white cheddar, and Colby Jack. Miam!!
jqueeng02

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: yummy Reply with quote

Looks like a good recipe...I love mac and cheese as well..Can't wait to try it!!!
one of three

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: for 100 Reply with quote

This week I make mac & cheese with ham for 100 . . . 2 lb butter, 2 c flour, 4 lb finely chopped onion, 8 qt 2% milk (actually 8 L), about 1/4 c Dijon mustard (could have used dry mustard, but no lumps), good dash of cayenne, 6 lb grated old Cheddar cheese, 10 lb cubed lean ham, 12 lb macaroni (6 servings per lb for main dish, 10 per lb for side). Topping: 2 lb melted butter, 12 c bread crumbs. Baked in 6 - 20x12x2" pans.
Gmast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: No reaux Reply with quote

Use the starch in the excess pasta water as a thickening agent. Reduce the amount of water accordingly (6 C. Per pound pasta). Also, velveeeta.
CharlieM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Love it, and so do the kids Reply with quote

I started using this recipe about 6 months ago.

I substitute Velveeta for the american cheese, and always turns out wonderful.

Thank you for the recipe, and the clear concise directions, will be a permanent addition to my recipe file Smile

Thanx much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: